Japan thread v. 2.0

I used to agree but I've gotten used to it. Hell, when I first got to Japan in early 2007 I wasn't much attracted by what MOST Japanese women did with themselves. So many try to look cute, not sophisticated, sexy, or anything else. Just cute. Young and cute. Although now I've gotten used to that now too and came to really miss seeing skirts and high heels everywhere I went all year round while in America.

By the way, I think one of my students is going to kill me. I immediately saw that he was the kind of guy that's bound to snap and hang people up from hooks in his basement (or would if Japanese houses had basements). But for the life of me I couldn't help but laugh when he was explaining the meaning of his names. Thick gentleman with small grapes is basically what it translates to. I mean come the fuck on.

005odu.jpg

I was walking around Kobe when suddenly the shopping center I was in was invaded by mascots. Here's the mascot for Nara that some Japanese people note does not meet the Japanese Cuteness Standard.

018idr.jpg

MajestikMøøse;8466717 said:
So like what? Deermonk?

Bingo! The city of Nara is famous for it's temples, shrines, the largest Buddha in Japan, and wild deer that roam the streets. Deer are messengers of the gods in Japanese mythology. Put those together and apparently you get Deermonk.

Also I met the mother of one of my bosses. A hilarious old Japanese woman with coke bottle glasses who's a constant stream of words, lip licking and staring. Anyway, when I met her she informed me that I was the 11th foreigner she'd ever met and I was the prettiest.

And sometimes the words that Japanese people use can be very interesting. Especially when they can't think of one and try to pull off a little linguistic circumvention. At my first job here I think I mentioned the time when one student was trying to think of the word homeless but used "blacks" when she couldn't remember it. Well this week I was teaching a company lesson and one guy used the word "enemy" when he temporarily couldn't think of the word foreigner. Interesting.

Well that isn't any fun. I'm assuming Gojira attacks are the only thing that gets them panicking in the streets these days?

I just got back from buying some things at a grocery store and as I was looking for a checkout lane the cashier saw me, looked flustered as all hell and then whipped out a "lane closed" sign before I could put my stuff down.

Nice.

I've been a little too busy to post here much lately but I'll give an update soon with such interesting things as:

My trip to a yakuza temple/cult
A Japanese man touching my package and telling me I have pretty nipples
Strange culinary delights(?)
and some pictures

dsc09193c.jpg

silverweek2009092c.jpg