Japan thread v. 2.0

tottori041b.jpg

tottori096b.jpg

tottori184b.jpg

so how do you get up to the house? didn't seem to see a path ... it looks like you get in from inside the mountain

The order I posted those is a bit deceiving I suppose. While those three pictures were taken near the same place those are three different buildings. As you can see, the temple hall on the cliff has railings and the others do not. That temple on the cliff (Nageiredo) is not accessible. It's about a thousand years old and in the past century only 3 people have been allowed in. How exactly they got in, I don't know.

A couple of my students asked me how dangerous America is. Knowing what the Japanese think about the U.S. I told them that it's not as dangerous as they likely think. However, I did relent and admit that unlike in Japan, there are certainly areas I don't feel comfortable. Suddenly they had a knowing look on their faces and one just slowly nodded and said "Black people."

taisanji45b.jpg

taisanji2.jpg

pictures102b.jpg

Great pics as usual Tatagnosis!
Referring to your comment on Japanese take on insecurity in the States: is there any black community in Japan? I see no reason why there would be, but I've seen weirder stuff, ethnologically speaking...

Not that I know of. It's hard to find any kind of foreign community in Japan other than Chinese. You'll see the occasional black American or Jamaican English teacher but not very often. And apparently in some of the bigger cities there are some Nigerians connected with the sex trade.

There just aren't enough foreigners to really make communities.

sightseeing mostly, not looking for clubs or girls in that sense.

edit;

and i got a friend stationed in okinawa so will probably stop by there as well

sightseeing mostly, not looking for clubs or girls in that sense.

edit;

and i got a friend stationed in okinawa so will probably stop by there as well

I'd suggest going to Kansai then. You'll be able to hit up all the traditional (though touristy) places in Kyoto, as well as get a taste of big city life in Osaka or Kobe. It'll also be a quick ride to Nara where you can see some cool World Heritage sites. If you have a good bit of extra time I'd suggest going to my favorite temple, a little known but very cool temple in the mountains in Shiga prefecture. You'd also be fairly close to Ise Jingu, the head Shinto shrine. For something more interesting you could head to Ominesanji, a temple for ascetics on a sacred mountain. Only men are allowed on the mountain and you can choose to attempt three tests on your way to the temple. Though be careful, people die every year attempting them.

Btw, you hear anything about where they'll be moving the Okinawa base? Within Okinawa or to another prefecture?

I'll be flying in to Narita on May 10th and staying for the 24th... wanna grab a couple o beers, Thanatopsis123?

Wait, do you mean you'll be in Tokyo from May 10th to the 24th? I'm moving farther away from there in just a couple weeks. I'll be about a 16 hour drive from Tokyo. :loco: But if you come to Kyushu, let me know.

Thanks for the advice man. And I don't know anything about the base there, my friend hasnt said anything to me about it and im not in the Corps so I'm not told anything :(