jazz

he ask jazz!!
i think no one (except few)have mentioned real cool jazz artists...

first kool and the gang are funk

john zorn rules the earth but he is not jazz...

jaco's great but fusion...

etc.

listen to THELONIOUS MONK he create the whole piano thing...

and even if you don't like hornes LISTEN immediately to god mr.john coltrane himself!

STAY AWAY FROM ST GERMAIN(this fake son of a bitch!) !!!!!

Yeah, I know Kool & The Gang is funk. I have 5 of their records. But "Summer madness" is more jazz-funk, which was the category I put it in. Their "Winter sadness" is also really cool and kind of a part two of "Summer madness" (as the title says).
As you may know Thelonious Monk wrote "'Round midnight" which I recommended in Teddy Wilsons version. I think his version is much, much better than the original. I also have Toni Harper's version which is also superb. You should try and check them out. I can convert them to mp3 to you if you want...?
Anyway, the jazz I listen to is mostly the funkier stuff from the 70's. I agree that Billy Cobham is cool, but I don't like Mahavishnu Orchestra that much. "Visions of the emerald beyond" is a good record and "Birds of fire" also have some good tracks, but the three other records I have by them are pretty horrible!! Luckily I'm gonna sell them this month! An even more horrible record is Miles Davis' "Bitches brew"!! Goddamn that's crappy!!! I have four of his other records, "Porgy & Bess", "Sketches of spain", "Kind of blue" and "We want miles" and they're pretty good, although "Sketches.." only has one good song. The reason why I don't like "Bitches brew" is that it's just a bunch of weird sounds and shit. No structure or anything. No melody (or at least no good melody IMO). It kind of seems like it's just weird for the sake of being weird. Fortunatly the four records I have by him lack this!
If you want some recommendations on jazz-funk let me know!

Originally posted by Board

I agree that Billy Cobham is cool, but I don't like Mahavishnu Orchestra that much. "Visions of the emerald beyond" is a good record and "Birds of fire" also have some good tracks, but the three other records I have by them are pretty horrible!! Luckily I'm gonna sell them this month! An even more horrible record is Miles Davis' "Bitches brew"!! Goddamn that's crappy!!! I have four of his other records, "Porgy & Bess", "Sketches of spain", "Kind of blue" and "We want miles" and they're pretty good, although "Sketches.." only has one good song. The reason why I don't like "Bitches brew" is that it's just a bunch of weird sounds and shit. No structure or anything. No melody (or at least no good melody IMO). It kind of seems like it's just weird for the sake of being weird. Fortunatly the four records I have by him lack this!
If you want some recommendations on jazz-funk let me know!

don't listen to this crazy fool!:(

electric miles is incredible!

Mahavishnu is great (all albums)

weird only for being weird...bullshits!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Django Reinhardt (guitar), Fats Waller and Duke Ellington (piano).
Tindor I admit I slipped a little Fusion and experimental rock into the mix. ;)

There is a Community radio station here in Melbourne, 3PBS FM that features heaps of great Jazz programs if you feel like listening?

Originally posted by Tindor
can anyone reccomend me some jazz, i just wants with no vocals and no horn stuff, mostly bass, guitar , and piano

If you can stand a little violin, Mahavishnu Orchestra is excellent. They are often the first jazz that metalheads get into for good reason - they rock! Still, the stuff is very complex, but LOUD. You would like it, I'm sure.

Originally posted by dimensionidol

don't listen to this crazy fool!:(

electric miles is incredible!

Mahavishnu is great (all albums)

weird only for being weird...bullshits!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, let's all fuck Board up, 'cause he got different taste than us! He's not allowed to think "Bitches brew" is corny, 'cause I say so and I am the law! If he ever says shit again where I don't agree I'll track him down and split his head with an axe and eat his family, what a stupid fuck!! :( :(

Here's some real jazz:
(some already mentioned, sorry:p )

- Piano:
----------
Horace Silver - Song from my father
Thelonious Monk - Monk
Dave Brubeck

Guitare:
----------
Wes Montgomery - Fingerpickin'
Jim Hall+Paul Desmond - Take ten

Organ:
---------
Jimmy Smith - Root Down
Jack McDuff - Tough Duff
Lonnie Smith - Live at club Mozambique

Horns (i'll give em to you anyway):
-------------------------------------------
Miles Davis - Kind of blue
John Coltrane - Blue Train
Nat Adderly - Work Song

Modern:
----------
John Scofield - A gogo
Medeski, Martin & Wood - Combustication
Keith Jarrett
Brad Mehldau

I've once heard a jazz band from island, they were sounding really great, 3 guys, 2 played guitar and the other one played the double bass. I dont know if they have a drummer too, because when i saw them it was on TV, maybe they got one on the records.
I've not found much of them on the net nor any CDs here in the shops, so has anyone here heard of em??