Jeff Buckley

Well i was trying to put it to you that in doing that, he is "trying impression god on people" as you said.

But seeing as its starting to look like circles forget the whole thing.

Nuk3m said:
Well Hellalujah, is used as "praise the lord" or "thank the lord"

My impression was that he was thanking upstairs for the important things.
did you ever think that he covered the song just because he thought it was a beautiful song? I mean, just because it's a "god song" doesn't mean that's why he covered it. it's like if someone were to wear a nazi uniform on stage. that doesn't make them antisemetic. they may just like WWII memorabilia. (I know thats a little odd, but I was just looking at this awesome picture of ron asheton and (I think scott asheton?) holding up Iggy after a stooges show from 1972(somewhere from 72-74).
nazi.jpg

every jeff buckley tune seems to fall into one of two categories: "this is amazing, i'm gonna crank this up and listen to it 15 times!", or "hmm, where's the fast forward button on this thing"...

Nexis said:
did you ever think that he covered the song just because he thought it was a beautiful song? I mean, just because it's a "god song" doesn't mean that's why he covered it. it's like if someone were to wear a nazi uniform on stage. that doesn't make them antisemetic. they may just like WWII memorabilia. (I know thats a little odd, but I was just looking at this awesome picture of ron asheton and (I think scott asheton?) holding up Iggy after a stooges show from 1972(somewhere from 72-74).
nazi.jpg

I don't know where you live bro, but in my country wearing nazi uniform would definitly be considered as a sign of anti-semitism; in fact, I believe it's a crime...

A pretty crappy comparison by the way... Someone call the Analogy Police o_O

Hallelujah wasn't (just) about god, it was about love/sex.

"Remember when I moved in you, and the holy dove was moving too, and every breath we drew was hallelujah"

"Maybe there is a God above, but all I've ever learned from love
was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you
And it's not a cry that you're here at night, It's not somebody who's seen the light, it's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah"

"And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah"

Grace is one of my favourite albums... Jeff Buckley was an incredible singer.

affinityband said:
"Remember when I moved in you, and the holy dove was moving too, and every breath we drew was hallelujah"

That line is like a black gospel church would preach.

It's a fucking COVER and besides he's clearly having premarital sex in that passage so no the church would throw lightning bolts at him

:Wreath: said:
I don't know where you live bro, but in my country wearing nazi uniform would definitly be considered as a sign of anti-semitism; in fact, I believe it's a crime...

A pretty crappy comparison by the way... Someone call the Analogy Police o_O
It's as good as a comparison as anything else. People just jump to conclusions too quickly without thinking of other possibilities. If I said (sorry to continue the WWII stuff, it's just there for some reason) "Hitler was a great leader," people would think I'm racist right off the bat. Technically speaking, he was an amazing leader to get however many millions of people to follow him and to kill 12 million some people. Saying he was a great leader doesn't make him a great person and doesn't mean that I agree with what he did.

pardon the comparisons, but the bottom line is that you shouldn't assume something just because it's the easiest thing to assume. there's always other answers.

Nexis said:
did you ever think that he covered the song just because he thought it was a beautiful song? I mean, just because it's a "god song" doesn't mean that's why he covered it.

No not really, because it really doesnt matter. The song was made (not by jeff) to praise the lord and thank the lord.

I never said that i thought jeff did it because it was a "god song"

HERES ONE FOR YOU TO THINK ABOUT!

If i was to get a tattoo or a swastika on my arm because i liked the shape and the symbol i would easyly be labeled and i would be a dumb-ass.
That being said its a budist symbol meaning something like peace or something very hippylike.But never the less im not a dumb-ass and i keep my arms nazi free so i can get work and not get killed by a whole lot of groups.

The meaning behind things are important even if you try to change them, jeff might have been religious but i doubt he wasnt stupid enough to think he could cover a gospel song and have no connection back to the original or god.

Now i dont think jeff did the song to praise god entirly but for fucks sake "Helleluja" means PRAISE THE LORD.

neuroticandroid said:
jeff buckley was great. if you like him, check out a band called ours, their singer (main songwriter, only permanent member for that matter) jimmy gnecco looks alot like jeff buckley and sounds alot like him too. http:www.ours2.net

I tried to tell everyone here about Jimmy Gnecco and how fucking amazing he is.. sure there are comparisons to Buckley, but I think Jimmy's songs are more dark and sad. I've seen him a bunch of times live and its always been like a religious experience.:worship:

Nuk3m said:
No not really, because it really doesnt matter. The song was made (not by jeff) to praise the lord and thank the lord.

I never said that i thought jeff did it because it was a "god song"

HERES ONE FOR YOU TO THINK ABOUT!

If i was to get a tattoo or a swastika on my arm because i liked the shape and the symbol i would easyly be labeled and i would be a dumb-ass.
That being said its a budist symbol meaning something like peace or something very hippylike.But never the less im not a dumb-ass and i keep my arms nazi free so i can get work and not get killed by a whole lot of groups.

The meaning behind things are important even if you try to change them, jeff might have been religious but i doubt he wasnt stupid enough to think he could cover a gospel song and have no connection back to the original or god.

Now i dont think jeff did the song to praise god entirly but for fucks sake "Helleluja" means PRAISE THE LORD.

IT REALLY MATTERS IF THAT SONG WAS RELIGIOUS CAUSE IT WAS WRITTEN BY SOMEONE ELSE AND ALSO CAUSE IF HE MEANT IT WHEN HE SANG IT THAT MEANS ALL HIS OTHER SONGS ARE RELIGIOUSLY THEMED ALSO EVERYONE THAT'S EVER BEEN RELIGIOUS WAS WORTHLESS AND AS SOON AS YOU FIGURED OUT THEY WERE RELIGIOUS YOU WROTE ALL THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENTS OFF AS CRAP THEREFORE IT IS REALLY IMPORTANT TO FIGURE OUT IF SOMEONE'S CHRISTIAN CAUSE IF THEY'RE CHRISTIAN ALL THEIR STUFF SUCKS OMG OMG OMG SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IF JEFF BUCKLEY WAS RELIGIOUS SO I KNOW IF HIS SONGS SUCK OR NOT