Joey programmed midi grooves

Heya Joey, this is probably a shot in the dark, but would you ever consider making a few midi parts like cymbal swells and snare velocity maps the way you do and sell em on your site? Would be great mixing one of your midi grooves of like a 'before their eyes'
Song or 'lets get it' My 2 fav bands you've produced and recorded.
Great work man :)

I dont see how grooves can be copyrighted, I mean a midi file of an entire song can be.

Does that mean any very simple and generic 2 step I program is a copyright from someone, somewhere?

EDIT: I actually think it could be a cool thing to see this as well, I would like to see how he off sets hits and velocities to humanize drums. I give no fucks about what band its for and it doesnt even have to be a band. I would like to see what he does for things like blasts or flams or snare rolls, ect ect.

I dont see how grooves can be copyrighted, I mean a midi file of an entire song can be.

Does that mean any very simple and generic 2 step I program is a copyright from someone, somewhere?

EDIT: I actually think it could be a cool thing to see this as well, I would like to see how he off sets hits and velocities to humanize drums. I give no fucks about what band its for and it doesnt even have to be a band. I would like to see what he does for things like blasts or flams or snare rolls, ect ect.

SPOT ON Seth :)

P.S. Off Topic, But am I starting to hear alot of tambourine in his newer stuff on choruses? Haha I think there is some on one of the songs from the new PLEA, and also on Someone Somewhere.
Hahah just wondering

I'm not even looking for a book per say. I'm just looking for a tutorial.
I'd learn a ALOT more from a tutorial than him straight up baby feeding me grooves.

most of this type of stuff is very situational and wouldn't be very useful without the exact samples / tones / channel settings

plus, its not hard to select some midi notes and use logical editor on the selection in cubase.

most of this type of stuff is very situational and wouldn't be very useful without the exact samples / tones / channel settings

plus, its not hard to select some midi notes and use logical editor on the selection in cubase.

Very true man, but for exampl, in your a chorus with a kick drum playing double bass 1/8th notes, do you use different fixied velocities or is everything always humanized? That's the kind of stuff I find intriguing on your drum mapping style. When I humanise kicks they don't sound solid as yours,only if I make em mechanical (same velocity)

Very true man, but for exampl, in your a chorus with a kick drum playing double bass 1/8th notes, do you use different fixied velocities or is everything always humanized? That's the kind of stuff I find intriguing on your drum mapping style. When I humanise kicks they don't sound solid as yours,only if I make em mechanical (same velocity)

i change velocity of almost every hit

One Day Sky, you don't have to go the route Joey does, you can just trigger the audio and let the drummers natural dynamics dictate the performance. Unfortunately if they suck well you're back to square one. If you're programming drums, think like a drummer! Study some videos of really good drummers playing and watch how they stick certain fills, where the accents are etc.

One Day Sky, you don't have to go the route Joey does, you can just trigger the audio and let the drummers natural dynamics dictate the performance. Unfortunately if they suck well you're back to square one. If you're programming drums, think like a drummer! Study some videos of really good drummers playing and watch how they stick certain fills, where the accents are etc.

Forsure man, im not trying to copy, i just wonder sometimes if me having the kick all at the same velocity is a bad thing? Ive noticed on bands like Devil Driver, the kick is single sample triggered, same velocity, same pitch kick everything! thats why im asking how Joey manages to get a solid sound with different velocities! Is it. Like are they in-between 120-127 or 100 - 127 velocities. Basically how extreme a change on velocities?

Unless you're doing super fast 32nd note kicks at like 180 bpm, velocity isn't near as important on kick as it is for snare and other drums.
You NEED a consistent kick.