Joey Sturgis Cymbal Packages

jaredistheman

Feb 16, 2010
Memphis, Tn
I'm trying to find one that's gonna be the most versatile for all genre's of music and there's quite a few choices so i'm having a little trouble. Any tips or suggestions from first hand use? Also, if i understand i correctly, the masters 1 cymbal set is ONLY for use with kontakt 4? Thanks!

I know, but for the most part, except for really dark ones, cymbals are cymbals. Just curious if anyone had any experience working with them first hand and if i could get a hands up on the versatility of them.

All the packs are pretty versatile, regardless of them being from "metal bands". However, if I had to say which one's were the least versatile, I'd say the Screaming Simple pack because of the lack of cymbals, and the Dreaming Heavy pack because of how dark and how many overtones there are. Other than that though, you really shouldn't have any problem using them for a lot of genre's in music. Just pick a pack you like the best! My personal favorite's at the moment are the Truth Emerald Pack, and the Shoulder City pack. :headbang:

is the cymbal packs mainly for programming drums? ive resampled a china that sounded like crap in post but i wouldnt be able to pull a hihat or crash out of the mix unless i used single mic on each cymbal and gated, is that what you do? or just for programming?

The Screaming Simple pack may be the least versatile, but man do they sound killer! And they're only 25$!

is the cymbal packs mainly for programming drums? ive resampled a china that sounded like crap in post but i wouldnt be able to pull a hihat or crash out of the mix unless i used single mic on each cymbal and gated, is that what you do? or just for programming?

Matter of fact, I was about to ask the same question!

Mostly programming drums. However, sometimes using the samples to blend with real overheads can turn out great. Of course, that'd have to be done by hand though. Trying to use Trigger or Drumagog to directly sample replace overheads is straight up stupid.