Joeythrax at its Best

Apr 7, 2002
Sandford, Strathaven
Visit site
I recently came across on youtube fantastic footage of 'Thrax supporting Maiden in the US whilst promoting POT. I've been searching for this footage for years, as I say the same show in Edinburgh, and it was fantastic. They opened up with Time (spinning clock etc), played Keep it in the Family and the band are on fire. It's great to see Joey and Danny on stage, motivated and "up for it".

The point of this post is that after SOWN came out I was blown away by the new music, it was like a different band altogether, but better. I thought Bush ruled and once Danny was out for Stomp that Paul Crook (and Dime and CB) came in and took the leads to another level. SOWN is still my favourite album, but watching this footage I think I've been too hasty in dismissing pre Bush 'thrax. It sort of like re-discovering an old flame and finding out she really was terrific after all. I enjoyed the re-union gigs I saw in Glasgow, although the set list was getting boring.

Seeing this great footage makes me wonder what heights their career would have reached had the band been happy with Joey and Danny (who may have kept the guitar in his hand and off the watches / bibles had "his best pal in the band" not been sacked). Could they have reached greater commercial success, or would thay still have floundered throught the '90's like a lot of metal bands??

Maybe they should have changed the name of the bad for SOWN, as to me at least it was a different band, and the music had changed dramatically IMO. Kinda like the Crue should have done with the fantastic Corabi album.

Anyway, both Joeythrax and Bushthrax are like kids to me. Anthrax has been part of my daily life for over 20 years, and like your kids you love them both but prefer one to the other on occasion. After a long hiatius, JoeySpitxthrax has just come in from the cold for me. :worship:

Hi,
yeah...this is pretty good version of "Time"

In my opinion they were at the crossroads (if you think their image and musical style) during that time ... they still performed I'm The Man but their "funny" image was gone... somehow I liked State of Euphoria tour more.

...and of course couple of years later with John on board they got even more serious - and better.

T:)

Last edited by a moderator:
btw...Iron Maiden was horrible on that tour...If I remember correctly it was their 1st one with Jannick Gers on guitar...

Anthrax was never the same without Belladonna and Spitz. They turned into a hard rock band. A bad one at that. I've seen Joeythrax and Bushthrax live and Joey blows Bush away. And I'm not just saying that because I'm an old school metal guy. I would have loved Anthrax to continue putting out great music. It just never happened. I think they need some internal band tension to pump out good songs.

Anthrax was never the same without Belladonna and Spitz. They turned into a hard rock band. A bad one at that. I've seen Joeythrax and Bushthrax live and Joey blows Bush away. And I'm not just saying that because I'm an old school metal guy. I would have loved Anthrax to continue putting out great music. It just never happened. I think they need some internal band tension to pump out good songs.

I concur - even Kerry King gave props to Joey by saying, "There was something about Anthrax when Joey was in it.":headbang:

I guess it boils down to the fact that you either like John Bush or you don't. In my opinion Sound Of White Noise and We've Come For You All are among Anthrax's best recordings...I don't think I'm alone on this one.

I guess it boils down to the fact that you either like John Bush or you don't. In my opinion Sound Of White Noise and We've Come For You All are among Anthrax's best recordings...I don't think I'm alone on this one.

You're definately not alone there mate.

Yeah there was something about Anthrax when Joey was in it. Something goofy. A weak point. Vocally.

For me it was the whole Image thing with the Bermuda shorts. In the end Anthrax were going for a darker sound, I guess the Steve Perry vocals weren't a good fit [ nothing against Steve Perry ].

I concur - even Kerry King gave props to Joey by saying, "There was something about Anthrax when Joey was in it.":headbang:

I'm with both of you guys... Anthrax was just never the same without Joey.. Their music changed drastically and it just wasn't that appealing to me.. Joey may have sang in an 80's style and his fashion is stuck in the 80's but it is what it is.. At least he doesn't care what people think... It seems like the core members of teh band are too concerned about what others think and are trying to chase trends to stay relevant. They keep shooting themselves in the foot in the process..

I wish Joey would be back....but sadly ANTHRAX has kinda faded by now. I dunno, they are one of my favourite bands but they just totally blew all integrity they had. I dont see them coming back I'm afraid. I am glad I saw 3 shows on the 2005 reunion tour, I'll cherish those. IMO there was only one real Anthrax and that was with Joey singing. I just have this feeling wen I play those old records, they are so unique and groundbreaking and still sound fresh today. It's poppy but it's still hard edged and it just makes me happy. I ddn;t liked it when they became all grungy though SOWN was still ok....

Anthrax weren't chasing trends - they were starting them! But anyway...Anthrax with Joey is nostalgia act for me...I listen to it when I drink beer with my high school buddies - the ones that used to love State of Euphoria but never followed Anthrax further
...and Anthrax with John is the bread I eat and the air that I breathe nowadays! :)

Same here. I want to hear Bush sing "Time," "Armed & Dangerous," "Aftershock," "Medusa," "Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind," and "Blood."

i dont think that would be good. Joey's voice is so high on that song. I just don't think John could pull it off. Then again he did do madhouse so i don't know maybe i'm wrong

John could do Time and Blood easily...and the rest of them I don't wanna hear...those songs belong to past and I think they should stay there...:)

BRING BACK BUSH

John could do Time and Blood easily...and the rest of them I don't wanna hear...those songs belong to past and I think they should stay there...:)

BRING BACK BUSH

My god, like We Came For You All isn't in the past, that album sucked ass be it a little less than the previous Bushthrax albums save for SOWN(Safe Home is probably the lamest excuse for an Anthrax song ever!).

If you wanna play that game Bush era Anthrax is also nostalgia in every way possible, SOWN is almost 20 years old...

Joeythrax is the past...Joey is so 80's...Joey is the bad haircut! Joey belongs to poor man's Rush cover bands...there's NO way he could sing song like New Noise convincingly.

BRING BACK BUSH

This is NOT nostalgia...this is hardly yesterday...

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course I know what "New Noise" is....point was that there's no way Joseph could do any justice to that or any other new song they've been playing...with Bush they could do what ever they want to do...

And I don't want to hear Joey sing...nowadays my old ears are too sensitive to high shrieks...

JOHN BUSH OR NO ANTHRAX AT ALL