John

Yeah, Empiricism is HORRIBLE. I hate that lifeless cd.

Quintessence is by far the best (skip the awful opener), followed by The Archaic Course, then Epic. Origin is a mixed bag but has some amazing songs on it.

The Garm albums suck.

Listening to Quintessence right now and holy shit, I didn't realize that Borknagar was so fucking badass. Even though Simen's contributions in Dimmu were fucking killer, he should have stayed in Borknagar.

Definitly. He sings on one track for the new album coming out next month. He actually left Borky for Dimmu, which is gay. But at least he's out of that band now and making a new solo album and Lamented Souls cd.

Quintessence has some amazing tracks, and not so amazing tracks but it's my favorite album of all time. The Archaic Course is really good too, but that one needs time to grow on you.

Epic is wonderful, but it's another mixed bag. REALLY cool quotes in most of the songs. "But we can not transform our origin. Atoms must stay atoms forever".

The most amazing thing Borknagar has done is the instrumental "The Spirit of Nature", from Origin, though.

Also check out Lamented Souls to hear Simen doing rock and doom metal.

Fuck it, I want to reccomend you non-Quintessence songs. Borknagar is just too inconsistent and I know I personally, do not have the patience to go through a bands discography.

Nocturnal Vision (It's so so until the ending, which is spine chilling. Vortex's voice will make you feel COLD)
Ad Noctum (Vortex wrote this, he also wrote Colossus on Quintessence)
The Spirit of Nature
The Human Nature
Origin
Future Reminiscence
Earth Imagery
Universal
The Winterway (Garm is awesome on this)
Cyclus

Also check out "Havoc" on youtube, from the new album.

Terrible quality, but this song is motherfucking epic. This is the first Borknagar song I ever heard. It was on some Century Black compilation I bought for like $3 when I was 20 or so. It was one of the only good songs on the entire thing and I used to play that cd in my truck when I'd drive around doing nothing but push the "back" button as soon as it was over and listening to it for my entire drive. The outro still give me chills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget this one either.

Damn I love this band :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
Their album covers and band logos are deceptively more black metal than they actually are. I thought Empricism was damn good. The olden domain is still my favorite (To mount and rove-fuck yes). I like saying Bork-a-nagger in a southern accent. It makes me all fuzzy inside.