Joining the Navy

I did 6 years in the Navy and, looking back, it was probably one of the best decisions I made. Know that your life will not be your own. Get ready for some long-assed hours seven days a week while at sea. Just pick a rate that you can possibly use on the outside, get the training and work ethic, and you're home free should you decide to get out.

I'm looking at current Navy requirements. I have to drop about 10 pounds to meet the weight maximum for my height.

Also, I'm going to start training to meet/exceed the minimums for passing training... those include:

-Running 1.5 miles in 12 minutes
-47 pushups
-58 situps
-500 yard swim in 11min 30sec

I want to be a motherfucking astronaut.

Unfortunately, I'll have to either work in a technical field related to something NASA can use for 3 years or finish my Ph.D. while lifting my body weight with my eyelids.

Jeff

I'm looking at current Navy requirements. I have to drop about 10 pounds to meet the weight maximum for my height.

Also, I'm going to start training to meet/exceed the minimums for passing training... those include:

-47 pushups
-58 situps

Best of luck man. I have started to jogging already. That's it though. I need to work on strength more then anything.

I just got done watching the Carrier series. It was amazing and helped me decide on what branch I want to serve. In a way it has also influenced me to kick my drinking problem. Awesome recommendation Chris.

Glad to hear it!

What did you think about the part where the guy comes back and discovers his pregnant girlfriend is shacked up with her ex? My favorite part was, "Is this what you want?", and she goes, "Yeah, I guess so."

HAHAHAHA!!!! What a cunt. Poor guy, though. Was away for 6 months constantly worrying and thinking about starting a family and he gets back and finds out that he's gonna be a baby daddy.

I laughed my ass off at the openly-racist guy who got kicked out. He was a real winner. "It's just how I was raised!" lol

That badass Marine who told his life story about how his carnie parents ditched him at a carnival and left him with some guy they worked the carnival with was pretty powerful.

By the way, which did you decide on?

-47 pushups
-58 situps

Will, I would advise you to not just meet the maximum requirement but get well below it. Every year you have to do a fitness exam and if you go over that limit, they put you on the fat-boy program, which is MONITORED exercise routines. They basically stand over you and watch you work out to make sure you're doing it. Definitely start getting buff now because it will pay off later. Also, if you don't meet the standards in basic training, they keep you there until you do, no matter how long it takes.

I don't know how it is in the Navy, but in the AF basic training we were DYING to run. We were so pent up with anxiety and stress that we needed to just run and release it all. It was pretty therapeutic.

just did the mile and a half in 14 min 1 sec. that's average... and with it being my first attempt at that distance, it'll only get better from here

That's pretty good. In the AF we had to run 2 miles in 18 minutes. By the time I finished basic and got to tech school, I ran 2 miles in 14.5 minutes.

You'll definitely get better, but it's something you have to do at least 4 times a week to notice improvement. I'd also recommend to start running just a mile and timing it. If you can bust your ass and run a mile in like 7 minutes, you can kinda coast for the rest.

That said, don't overdo it. Running twice a day every day for 2 miles will only hurt you. I know people who did stuff like that for preparation and it hurt them in the end.

I hate running, Will. HATE IT. I always have hated it and I always will. I'm just not a runner. If I can do it then I know you can.

nah, not a smoker. I just have to work more on that nonsense, and i'll be good. Would you say that a mile every other day would be good? Maybe a mile in the morning, a mile at night before bed...

It's completely up to you. Follow what your body is telling you. If you run in the morning and at night you're still pumped with energy and your body feels good, go for it. Every other day is perfect because you allow your muscles to heal in the meantime. If you run too much like every single day, you'll have knee problems and develop shin splints which are excruciating. I lifted weights all my life for football and stuff and resting your body is just as important as exercise, if not more so.

You and I are kinda large people...I've always had a large frame so running put tremendous strain and impact on my joints and back. In fact, right before I left the military I had to stop running and go to physical therapy because I have a muscle in my back that gets inflamed if I do a lot of high impact exercise. It just built up over the years. Running is a very high impact sport and if you're not a natural runner, you can seriously injure yourself if you overdo it.

However, there is something you can do that will help you tremendously and it takes no more than a minute to do. If you find yourself standing around by yourself with nothing to do, throw up like 30 push-ups really quickly. Do this multiple times during the day. If you're watching tv and a commercial comes on, throw up some push-ups and sit-ups until your program comes back on. It's not going to hurt you and will only help you. Your arms will be like boulders and your upper body strength will improve ten-fold relatively quickly. If you're sitting around on your break at work, knock out 30 push-ups. After about a week, up the number to 40. After a couple of months, you'll be doing like 100 push-ups in about two minutes. It also helps with your breathing and lung capacity. What you're doing is putting your body in a constant state of tension; not overly so and not more than it can handle, but you're accomplishing two things. First, you're getting in shape, and secondly you're immersing your entire lifestyle into fitness. After a while it will become a habit and you won't even notice it.

I'd run three times a week for a mile each time if I were you. If you feel like you can do more, then do it but don't overexert yourself. After a month or so, your body should be getting used to all the running, push-ups, and sit-ups and you can up the distance you run or number of push-ups. Once your body gets used to having this strain put on it every day and can handle it, that's when you really start pushing it. That's when you start sprinting a lap, jogging a lap, sprinting a lap, jogging a lap, etc.

Also, one thing to note: you have to complete the distance within the time alotted. If you're able to sprint 1.4 miles in 8 minutes, then you can walk the rest of the way.

One last thing: see if you can find a partner to run with. It's much more fun and you'll start challenging each other to see who can be the fastest and go the farthest once you start really getting into shape.