Jon Oliva's Pain Discussion

TSO actually financed POETS AND MADMEN...They spent more money on that album than they made...wanna guess where the money came from?
And as far as Damond goes, I saw them twice on the P&M tour and he just slayed both times... he sang everything that Jon and Zac sang and then took it to another level... I SO WANTED to hear a Savatage album with him on it!!!

I was always under the impression that O'Neil was one of the main reasons the band survived as long as they did. I have nothing against the guy and feel like he took the band to the next level. Gutter Ballet, Streets, EOT, Handful of Rain, DWD, and WOM are the band's peak albums for me. :kickass:

~Brian~

you're probably correct in that impression. And kudos to him for that. But I still enjoy the earlier years moreso than the latter years. I never said I disliked or hated the Paul material. I only said I prefer the older material that was driven mostly by the Oliva bros.

My one true regret in life is that I was never able to catch Savatage on tour when Criss was still with us. :erk:

My one true regret in life is that I was never able to catch Savatage on tour when Criss was still with us. :erk:

You missed a treat bro. I saw them when they opened for the Megadeth, DIO tour. It was Hall of the Mountain King album for them. Actually hung out with Criss for bit before the show. Was an amazing show, and though both Megadeth and DIO were awesome I think Savatage stole the show.

I feel very fortunate that I'm from the Tampa Bay area, so I got to see Savatage with Criss many times. I feel for the fans that never got that opportunity. As has been said, seeing Criss Oliva live was an absolute treat.

Also got to see them perform the entire 'Streets' album at a club here.:worship:

People say TSO killed Savatage. I am happy TSO is commercially acceptable. It has allowed Jon to do WHAT THE FUCK HE WANTS and I LIKE THAT SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree. TSO has helped the Sava guys to fund their own side projects, etc. that kick ass. I don't think the Savatage fraternity will ever steer too far off the straight and narrow of heavy metal music. :kickass:

~Brian~

I feel for the fans that never got that opportunity. As has been said, seeing Criss Oliva live was an absolute treat.

Also got to see them perform the entire 'Streets' album at a club here.:worship:

I appreciate that, because I'm one of those fans. :erk: In all honesty, the closest I've came to a Savatage show is the WMD set at ProgPower V. I began getting into this band during the Poets & Madmen era.

~Brian~

Clear as mud? :lol:

Gee.. thanks.. I think :)

So let me rephrase my question.. which one should I *start* with and which ones should I then continue with?

I know I can start from the beginning and go all the way through to the last one, but figured I'd start somewhere where I'd get a flavor of the band, and then move to the more obscure stuff later...

Thanks for all the suggestions... just trying to get my head above water.. (and its pouring rain here - so this can be taken figuratively and physically!)

Gee.. thanks.. I think :)

So let me rephrase my question.. which one should I *start* with and which ones should I then continue with?

I know I can start from the beginning and go all the way through to the last one, but figured I'd start somewhere where I'd get a flavor of the band, and then move to the more obscure stuff later...

Thanks for all the suggestions... just trying to get my head above water.. (and its pouring rain here - so this can be taken figuratively and physically!)

Honestly, I would start with 'Hall of the Mountain King' and 'Streets'.

I appreciate that, because I'm one of those fans. :erk: In all honesty, the closest I've came to a Savatage show is the WMD set at ProgPower V. I began getting into this band during the Poets & Madmen era.

~Brian~

I just happen to be born to the right parents I guess.:lol: No one can replace Criss:worship:, but the band Oliva has is phenomenal and the Mountain King, to my ears, sounds as good as he ever has.

Hey Glenn, are you lobbying for Wacholz to be there again? It was sheer joy for me last time to see him back behind the kit again.

Doubtful, since he's now in Nashville according to his MySpace page.

OTOH, he's not alllll that far from Atlanta...... :lol:

I'd love to see him fronting Savatage again, even if only for a few songs. He was GREAT when I saw them here with FW. Even the SavaFaithful, wearing their "Savatage Legion" t-shirts, were won over. :kickass:
He was freakin' amazing that night! I got to meet Johnny Lee as well, and he was way cool.

Savatage is indeed a better band for having been majorly influenced by Paul O'Neill's writing and playing style. The TSO phenomenon is the brainchild of Paul, as well. Will Caffery be back for PPUSA IX as a special guest?

The setlist from their recent PP Europe gig was buried already on page 4:

Warriors
Sirens
24 Hours Ago
Maniacal Renderings
The Evil Beside You
Streets
Jesus Saves
Tonight He Grins Again
Ghost In The Ruins
Agony And Ecstacy
Believe
Chance
Hounds
Timeless Flight
Through The Eyes Of The King
Edge Of Thorns
Gutter Ballet
Hall Of The Mountain King

Can we have the same set list for next year????please???:OMG:

I hope he does something like 'Reach out and torment someone' or some song from Doctor Butcher....

The first two tracks from the first JOP album are awesome and it seems like they would go over great in a live setting. I'm pretty sure he played the first track at PP5 (didn't get the album until March 05). I hope to hear (and do) some "hear the people say...just gimme some heeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllll!"

The first two tracks from the first JOP album are awesome and it seems like they would go over great in a live setting. I'm pretty sure he played the first track at PP5 (didn't get the album until March 05). I hope to hear (and do) some "hear the people say...just gimme some heeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllll!"

If I remember correctly, they played both tracks. I know for sure that they did People Say (Gimme Some Hell).