Judas Iscariot

No one ever talks about this band for some reason. Probably because they're from the US. From what I've heard, they're among the better Darkthrone inspired bm bands. I recently picked up the tribute album, and I'll probably get some of the full lengths this summer.

Judas Iscariot is very, very far from being one of the greatest bands in black metal. However, I do think they have some stuff that is worth hearing. I enjoy Distant in Solitary Night and some other stuff.

I really enjoy Judas Iscariot, and I find his minimalistic and bleak approach to black metal to be pretty unique actually. Especially amongst USBM you don't hear a lot that is like it. Distant in Solitary Night is one of my favorite BM albums, but unlike most of the more popular BM, its strength lies in its subtlety.

He is quite popular and talked about often from what I've seen, second to only Xasthur and possibly Leviathan in USBM.

I always consider Judas Iscariot as an underrated band. This band always created grim climate. Oh and I praise the Distant in Solitary Night album, the first two tracks are flawless. One of the best BM albums ever.

Dethroned, Conquered and Forgotten & To Embrace the Corpses Bleeding are his best albums, and primarily because Cryptic Winter played the drums rather than Akhenaten.

Judas Iscariot is redundant and highly mediocre for the most part.
I can see where you are coming from, moreso listening to Heaven in Flames than Distant In Solitary Night. Redundancy is a part of the music however, and I definitely disagree with the mediocre part. His material is pretty unique and rewarding if you give it enough time.

Well, Distant in Solitary Night more or less contains "Transsilvanian Hunger" - like music.
But it has a different atmosphere and a different sound.

That description does not sound like something you really need to hear. And there obviously are people who think that you do not need to hear it.

But i listened to the mentioned album in the past and think that the overall effect of the album is quite special and intense in fact.

Judas Iscariot is redundant and highly mediocre for the most part.

Agreed, I also find the band completely overrated. All I have ever heard from most black metal fans is how great this band is...and I've never known why.

Minimilism is something that I really do enjoy, but this band...is just plain boring.

Judas Iscariot is minimalist black metal. Those who don't appreciate minimalism will inevitably find his music boring. It's a matter of taste - I can't stand minimalism in pure ambient or classical music, but in black metal I love it.

No shit, mate. Ildjarn and Beherit are two of my favourite bands and each showcase minimalism far more effectively than Judas Iscariot.

No shit, mate. Ildjarn and Beherit are two of my favourite bands and each showcase minimalism far more effectively than Judas Iscariot.
No shit mate, Beherit and Ildjarn are two of my favorites as well, in fact they are two of the couple dozen or so bands I like more than Judas Iscariot.