Judas Priest Tour!

I really wish bands like Priest and Maiden would use their opening slot to pass the torch and help ensure that older fans get turned on to the next generation of Metal bands. It would be wonderful to see this slot go to a band like Iced Earth, Brainstorm, Primal Fear, etc.; bands who have paid their dues. As John points out, Rob has a personal relationship with SP and I get that. However, the fan in me can't help but wish Priest would have done what's good for the longevity of the genre.

Agreed. Can you imagine Priest taking Wolf out on tour?

I really wish bands like Priest and Maiden would use their opening slot to pass the torch and help ensure that older fans get turned on to the next generation of Metal bands. It would be wonderful to see this slot go to a band like Iced Earth, Brainstorm, Primal Fear, etc.; bands who have paid their dues.

A quite reasonable argument to be made in 1997 (and I know I heard it then too), but these days, is there much value in leading some hoary old Priest fans from one super-old band to a marginally-less-old band? "Yeah, it sucks that Jane Russell is dead now, there are hardly any hot chicks to jerk off to anymore. But have you heard of this Raquel Welch? She's only 73! Hubba hubba!"

The "next generation" bands you mentioned have now been around longer than most people who still care about finding new bands have been alive. 26, 25, and 17 years respectively (and 19 years for Wolf).

But yeah, for old Priest/Maiden fans, I understand you'd have to make baby steps. Jumping them right to [a new band of 22-year-olds that I'm too old to even come up with a reference for] probably wouldn't work as well as leading them to an Iced Earth (after all, to my old-man eyes, a 73-year-old Raquel Welch is actually still pretty hot!)

I think the real issue is that Iced Earth, Brainstorm, and Primal Fear need to bring the "next generation" of bands out to open for them so that we will be aware of more modern references to use when suggesting who Judas Priest should take out! :loco:

This ends today's "God, we're all so fucking old" report.

A quite reasonable argument to be made in 1997 (and I know I heard it then too), but these days, is there much value in leading some hoary old Priest fans from one super-old band to a marginally-less-old band? "Yeah, it sucks that Jane Russell is dead now, there are hardly any hot chicks to jerk off to anymore. But have you heard of this Raquel Welch? She's only 73! Hubba hubba!"

The "next generation" bands you mentioned have now been around longer than most people who still care about finding new bands have been alive. 26, 25, and 17 years respectively (and 19 years for Wolf).
That's fair. And quite honestly, at this point, I would prefer they pass that torch to someone who could actually carry it a bit longer than the bands I mentioned previously.

But yeah, for old Priest/Maiden fans, I understand you'd have to make baby steps. Jumping them right to [a new band of 22-year-olds that I'm too old to even come up with a reference for] probably wouldn't work as well as leading them to an Iced Earth (after all, to my old-man eyes, a 73-year-old Raquel Welch is actually still pretty hot!)
Agreed. It's a lot easier to see a Priest fan relating to a band that doesn't make them feel old.

I think the real issue is that Iced Earth, Brainstorm, and Primal Fear need to bring the "next generation" of bands out to open for them so that we will be aware of more modern references to use when suggesting who Judas Priest should take out! :loco:
LOL. The reality is, the Priests and the Maidens should have been doing this ten years ago, when it could have made a difference. At this point, it just gets my goat that they continue to ignore the bands who have earned it and could continue to fly the flag a bit longer.

This ends today's "God, we're all so fucking old" report.
Yep. Unfortunately I agree with you.

Pity Accept are in Europe at that time. Sad to say but Bon Jovi was probably the best opening act Priest had on the tours I've seen. Anthrax & Testament were ok but that DJ, fake Lizzy and 30 min Zakk wank solo were all :puke:

Cmon, Lizzy were cool to watch! I did not
Expect a resurrected Phil anyway.

Lizzy 2.0 was a fun band to see, especially now that they aren't touring as Thin Lizzy anymore....Or did you mean Lizzy Borden? :heh:

I saw Maiden open for Priest, in '82, iirc....So yeah, welcome to the geezer club for me, too!

I CAN NOT STAND Steel Panther, Novelty act as far as I'm concerned. Totally done with them after their first release.......

Volbeat, would have been kickass..... Thank <insert deity of your choice> it wasn't Babymetat! I probably won't go see this tour, can't believe there wasn't a Chicago/Milwaokee date out of the box......

:saint:

I probably won't go see this tour, can't believe there wasn't a Chicago/Milwaokee date out of the box......

:saint:

Whoever is doing their booking is doing something funky. This is the second tour in a row where they think booking at Horseshoe will bring in Chicago and Milwaukee people. Yes I will go, but a ton of people won't due to this.

Too far away, I've already seen them twice, and this new album isn't blowing me away. But they're still my faves.

Whoever is doing their booking is doing something funky. This is the second tour in a row where they think booking at Horseshoe will bring in Chicago and Milwaukee people. Yes I will go, but a ton of people won't due to this.

Don't let the address fool you. Even though it's technically in another state, it's only 30 miles from someone living in the very furthest corner of Chicago, and a lot less than that for everyone else. First Midwest Bank Amphitheater, Mojoe's, the former Pearl Room, and even J.J. Kelley's (home to the first PPUSA) are all substantially further out from the Chicago population center than The Venue is.

In terms of Old People venues (i.e., places with parking lots, because Judas Priest fans ain't going to be parking on a street in a dangerous city with all those hoodlums, or taking that nasty public transit), it's really the closest of any option I can think of. Especially for places around that size. So I actually think the fact that attendees don't have to worry about running into anyone living after midnight or breaking the law would attract more people to Indiana than the address would repel.