Just bought an EXTOL album...

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
I was browsing in my local record shop and saw Extol's 'Undeceived' album for 6 quid! Bear in mind that most albums in this store are 10-15 quid.

I thought that was a pretty good price - it's second hand, but you wouldn't know it by the condition it's in. Also, it's the version when they were with 'solidstate records'. There was also another copy but that was on their new label (the cover was in colour, but this one's black and white) - and it was £13.99! Big price difference, despite a few bonus tracks.

I really REALLY like this album! It's complex and exciting, and also has some great musicianship IMO!

What a find!

:D

P.S. My favourite track is currently 'Time Stands Still', but I haven't given it all a thorough listen yet.

I only have their latest, Synergy. It is the only one the store had. It is very good, but from the mp3s I have heard from songs off earlier CDs, it sounds like they softened up their sound a bit. I would definitely buy Undeceived if I could find it.

The color cover version is the European version of the disc; it was released by Century Media in Europe (SolidState Records, a Christian label, put the CD out in the US). The CD is the same, I believe.

Regardless, the CD is fucking killer. Renewal is my favorite of the disc (along with the instrumental Meadows of Silence). It's well worth the purchase.

After another more detailed listen, I can't relly decide what my favourite track is - they're all great!

Some I really like though are Undeceived, Ember, Renewal, And I Watch.....aaaah can't decide, it's just an excellent album!

:D

undecieved is by far my favorite from them. i love the title track. how it goes from mellow strings to real intense riffing. its a great contrast.

what a great band. they really need to tour more
~gR~

I was wondering when you would comment GR! I've picked up the fact that you're a big Extol fan, and now I know why!

I agree, the title track is AWESOME! Really complex, and great lyrics.

hahahhaha, am i that obvious?! extol was the band that got me into DM. that album is just amazing and it really did change my tastes in music.

post_scriptum: thats the bass player from exhumed. isnt that a great picture?!
~gR~

I like Undeceived alot, but the clean vocals suck. They don't fit, the clean vocals on Synergy are MUCH better. I like the growls much better on Undeceived though, and the music is a bit more heavy. Not more complex though, Synergy is just as complex, but with an almost emo slant at times.

Some of their lyrics make me ill though... so blatantly christian.

What's your point? There're hundreds of even more blatantly satanist lyrics kicking around! How prejudiced!

P.S. genocide roach - also, what does that text mean under your name?

I'd rather hear Christian lyrics that lyrics about relationships.

And I think that Extol should stick with growled vocals. IMO the clean vocals kind of soften the music up. I only have Synergy, and I like all songs on it except for Aperture. The funny thing about the lyrics to that song is that I can't figure out if he is singing about God or singing about a woman. Lol.

I'd MUCH rather hear lyrics about relationships than christianity. One is about something almost everyone experiences, the other is about a delusional faith based around constricting your self and denying your wishes. Songs about love and heartbreak are not bad at all, some of the best songs of all time were about those topics.

But by your SN, your location, and your signature... I guess you have to appear grim and tr00 at all costs, over admitting any fondness for love songs.

genocide roach said:
hahahhaha, am i that obvious?! extol was the band that got me into DM. that album is just amazing and it really did change my tastes in music.

post_scriptum: thats the bass player from exhumed. isnt that a great picture?!
~gR~
oh yeah!! is he normal? (who knows)

:lol: im not sure if he's normal. he can do it on command, i hear hes got somthin wierd in his throat that allows him todo that.

the text in my signature is "the ring verse" written by JRR Tolkien which has been translated into sindarin (the common tongue of the elves). it reads...

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
haha, ok. im a nerd. im actually looking for another one, a battle hymn of sorts, but the 2 ive seen i dont like. i also wanna transcribe it into tengwar which is the writting system they use.
~gR~