I bought the nu In Flames album today

Pitiless Wanderer

Jun 14, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
R.I.P. In Flames.

I decided to give them another chance, praying their last effort was not a complete change in direction.

I made a mistake.

I put this album in hoping for any redeeming qualities, but there are none. The album opener, Friend, is one of the worst songs they have ever written. I didnt even make it through any of the songs in their entirety because they were so bad. I was hoping for some melodies, some cool riffs, anything that would be reminiscent of their glory days ala Whoracle and Colony. There was nothing but insanely weak riffs and horrible vocals. It's a shame because these guys had, still do have, SO much talent and potential, but it seems they are content to water down their music to appeal to a mass audience. What a waste of talent. The only good song was Evil in a Closet, the rest are garbage, and I probably wont give the album one more chance as long as I have their previous efforts in my collection. If you havent bought this yet because you are expecting the worst...save yourself the time and money and dont. Worse than even Reroute to Remain, R.I.P. to In Flames.

Thoughts?

I never thought they were any good in the first place so I'm not one of those who bitch that "oh they sold out and did nu-metal on Reroute To Remain but they were once good". And Reroute To Remain is not nu-metal, everyone just started saying that because it's more accessible and some nu-metal fans might like it.

Devy_Metal said:
R.I.P. In Flames.

I decided to give them another chance, praying their last effort was not a complete change in direction.

I made a mistake.

I put this album in hoping for any redeeming qualities, but there are none. The album opener, Friend, is one of the worst songs they have ever written. I didnt even make it through any of the songs in their entirety because they were so bad. I was hoping for some melodies, some cool riffs, anything that would be reminiscent of their glory days ala Whoracle and Colony. There was nothing but insanely weak riffs and horrible vocals. It's a shame because these guys had, still do have, SO much talent and potential, but it seems they are content to water down their music to appeal to a mass audience. What a waste of talent. The only good song was Evil in a Closet, the rest are garbage, and I probably wont give the album one more chance as long as I have their previous efforts in my collection. If you havent bought this yet because you are expecting the worst...save yourself the time and money and dont. Worse than even Reroute to Remain, R.I.P. to In Flames.

Thoughts?

your loss... awsome album. TJR is still my overall fav in flames album, but STYE is great.

Devy_Metal said:
R.I.P. In Flames.

I made a mistake.

Thoughts?

It is NOT worse then r2r. It's one of their weaker efforts for sure, and the riffs were a bit watered down but it's a step in the right direction-yknow, backwards from r2r.

It definitly isnt close to the best stuff that theyv released but I can enjoy listening to it anyway. I mean its still In Flames and it even has its own high points. Personally I like the more "chilled out" mood that it brings. Its one of the few metal albums I know that I can chill out to. Thats just me though

YES Devy_Metal, you brilliant man you. In Flames gathered around the fire one cold evening and decided to write music that would appeal to a much larger audience. They figured, hey! Why not play music we don't even like because that means mooore people will buy our music, cuz we don't give a shit about what we sound like anymore. :err:

I like the album. And yes, I am seeing them next week.

Funeral Portrait is right you know Devy, they were even listening to crappy nu-metal bands during the recording process trying to get that ever so popular and money making nu-metal sound down perfect!

Want proof? Notice the crappy Deftones CD in the pic which was taken during their recording session for Soundtrack For Your Escape...

pic11l.jpg

Devy_Metal said:
R.I.P. In Flames.
I saw a commercial for thier now album on MTV the other day.
It's official...In Flames are nu-metal. Hell, in the commercial, Anders even had his hair braided like any other nu-metal group. I also saw a commercial for Iced Earth's new album...man this sucks.

obviously you have never had really long hair snowblind, at least not for a long time. Long hair gets to be a PAIN IN THE ASS. I had my hair down to the middle of my back for like 5 years. Eventually I got sick of having to comb it like 100000 times, tie it back, ect... not to mention it too so long to wash. I only had mine long for 5 years. Anders has had his long for like... at least 15. I asked anders what was up with his dreadlocks last time they were in philly. He told me he wants to keep his hair long, but he was sick of fucking with it, so he just got dredlocks.

Besides, its hair... who fucking cares. I dont care if anders has dredlocks, normal long hair, short hair, a buzz cut, or a fucking mohawk. Hair doesnt make a band (with the obvious exception of metallica, hehe).

About the deftones cd... again... who cares?! Last year when in flames was on tour with sentenced and dark tranquillity I went to vintage vinyl (store in NJ) with them. Jesper bought a copy of Queens Of The Stone age there. So what!?

I am friends with evergrey... when they were on tour with Arch Enemy, I was hangin out on their tour bus with them and they were listening to a mix CD that had michael jackson, and justin timberlake on it. It doesnt matter what kind of music a band listens to on the side.

And lastly... SO FUCKING WHAT that in flames has a commercial out for the new album. They only play it on MTV2 when HBB is on. Besides... its GREAT exposure for them. They have been around since 1991, they deserve any exposure they get. Good for them.

:lol:

Glad you cleared that up Chasm, I wasn't sure if you were joking or not :p

...and to the dude who was talking about how Evergrey was listening to Michael Jackson, I can totally relate. I'm in a death metal band and even I can say there's some R&B/Pop music out there I listen to. It's nice to have a change of pace sometimes.

5thSeason said:
they were in philly. He told me he wants to keep his hair long, but he was sick of fucking with it, so he just got dredlocks.
Dude...have you ever had dreadlocks? Do you even know anyone who has??

There's more fucking hassle, work, and time needed to get put into dreads in a single fortnight than in a whole fucking lifetime of having long hair. Dreads have to be thoroughly waxed at least twice a week, washed with special herbal shampoo once a fortnight, and have the tip of every braid manually twisted, turned inside-out and possibly banded at least a couple times. Waxing and doing the tips can take up to three or four hours at a time, if you have short hair and a friend doing it for you, far longer if your hair is very long. This waxing and tipping process needs to be done regularly for at least 2 months or so before caucasian dreads start to tighten and lock properly, but maintenance is required for up to five or six months for proper dreads. Dreads can't just be neglected and expected to lock-up on their own either; that takes more than a year (up to three) to happen by itself and trust me, it takes plenty of effort refraining from washing or grooming your stinking hair for that amount of time.

Don't be quite so willing to trust everything your idols tell you. Dreads are a fucking pain in the ass for half a year or so, and if the guy was so lazy as to not want to be bothered taking care of normal hair, there isn't a chance in hell he could be bothered taking care of dreads. Either he lied to your face or learnt a very hard, long lesson. Well, wait....no that'd mean he lied to you either way.

I've only heard half the album, but even though its not up to par to everything before Clayman, I thought it was pretty nice, catchy modern-metal. I;ve also begun to re-appreciate Reroute to Remain more.