Avoid the NU territory

LOL - don't worry, not many people do agree about Staind. I realise they're a bunch of miserable bastards, and I'vw always thought there's something slightly off about grown-ups writing song lyrics that adolescents identify so strongly with, but luckily I reckon they can pull off a hooky, arena grunge rock riff and Aaron Lewis can pull off the singing to carry it all too.

i started off with the nu, cuz that was wat was around at the time, but now i'm getting into other stuff, Down, Meshuggah, DEP, opeth and such.

i still like some nu stuff tho...being crazy about KoRn kinda shows that!

We all have our guilty pleasures. I think mine would have to be Enchant. There is something about this prog rock band that just catches my fancy. It's good to listen to at work and after the album is over, I feel like a million bucks

but yeah, ive noticed that the people who actually noticeably mature as people have the same happen with their music taste and they move away from shite like disturbed and adema! and get into something worthwhile with a bit of talent! not saying there is anything wrong with anyones music that they listen to as they are growing up or if they decide to stick with that sort of thing, but ive just noticed a bit of a trend!

Paul, I agree with you. There is no feeling that can match that sensation when discovering a new band that you love. When I discovered Summoning, you could have killed me then, and I would have died happy.

As far as breaking away from the norm, I don't really know. The most norm I ever got was Fear Factory Demanufacture era and Machine Head The More Things Change era. Is that norm?

I Get Stupified (Posted: May 21, 2002, 12:18 pm)

"Listen people...let me make it very clear to you...DISTURBED F***ING RULES ALL!!! The Sickness is, without question, one of the best hard rock/heavy metal albums of all time. The upcoming DVD is a necessary purchase for any Disturbed fan...myself included. Oh, and just to let all of you know...punk, ska, and emo all suck. So if you're one of those people who think that "street punk" bands (i.e. Flogging Molly, Less Than Jake, Rancid, etc.) are the greatest ever, you are sadly mistaken, because they are completely pathetic. Disturbed, Godsmack, System Of A Down, Linkin Park, and Rage Against The Machine are the five best bands of this era or any other...and they sure as hell kick ass over indie label-signed bands."

This is the kind of crap that I'm talking about. WTF is this guy thinking. This was taken from Blistering.com

We'll wait five years and see who remembers Disturbed. The same thing happened in the hair metal days. Motley Crue, Skid Row, Ratt, etc., etc. They all started cloning the leaders. Who remembers half those bands? Firehouse???????

I would just like to get all those winy(sic) NU metal bands in one room and say "Quit singing about how much the world sucks. TELL ME SOMETHING I DON'T KNOW. And quit singing about how much crap you've been through. WE DON"T FUCKING CARE"

A person can dream can't they?

i hate bands like disturbed, the worst of the worst in the metal worlds!! ..

i know what you mean about being able to just die on the spot when hearing THAT band that makes the difference .. with me it was meshuggah, as soon as i put destroy erase improve in my cd player, life was different, i know it sounds mad ,, but its so true!!

I want someone to tell me, in an intelligent way please, what these Nu metal bands have that is SO appealing. Is it that they can emphathize wit' da kidz? Someone please tell me.

I don't want to ask a NU- metaller because every other word will be a cuss word.

Intelligently please.

regarding FF and MH, i guess they are fairly "norm" bands, in the respect that they are bands that things like kerrang and metal hammer push and are well known on the mtv circles as well, but i guess those two and pantera and sepultura are kinda like the second step along the road to maturity ,, and then come bands like the meshuggah's and dillinger escape plans and things like that, include in there candiria, and also things maybe like botch, converge, or then the death metal bands/black metal bands depends on which path is taken ...

KoRn got me into the metal scene, i heard it and thought 'WOW'. i still like them a lot now. i just love the heavy deep riffages, dave is ace on the drums, big twanging base lines...oooooooooooooo...i love it so. i just love taht i can here different things going on at once in their songs. they may not be the most complex of songs but they really get me going.

as for pantera being another of my fave bands...i think phil is the greatest front man ever...ok maybe not in his drunk to fuck days where he could barely stand but FUCK that guys got a good voice!
and i love dimebags widdley wooness

:worship:

The only Korn album I have is the debut.WHile not the revolutionary music that I had hoped for, it is not bad. I'm just not into that "my life sucks, the world has wronged me" kind of music.

I once did have Pantera's "Cowboys...." and "Vulgar...", but tired of them very fast, although Dimebag does have some great riffs(especially on Vulgar...). Their recent couple of albums leave a lot to be desired though.

From reading a lot of boards and forums, it seems Pantera and Meshuggah are NU-metallers "extreme" band. By that I mean, that's as heavy as they go. Agree or no?

I don't know what nu-metallers think of those bands. I would guess Pantera seems a little old school to them, since Dimebag solos. I personally love Pantera. They are exactly like Slayer, in that they refuse to conform to any new style or sound. Pantera has remained very consistent in their sound. I'll admit "Vulgar..." is probably my favorite, but I still enjoy all Pantera's albums. Meshuggah's newest stuff seems too obscure for nu-metallers. I guess I don't really see them getting into Meshuggah.

I agree in that Pantera does not conform. Hell, they could have become almost mainstream after "Vulgar..." They were gaining fanbase and Vulgar... is very good, not to mention constant MTV airplay on Headbanger's Ball(RIP). But Phil & Co. decided to pull a Faith No More and basically shit in everyone's face with Far Beyond...For that, they will have my eternal respect.

My only gripe with them is that the latest outputs almost seem pushed to BE extreme. By that I mean, while Vulgar... is great AND brutal, the albums after that one are not as REALIZED as Vulgar...

It's hard to explain. I know I'm picky. Hell, I'm probably talking out my ass.