Just got a new amp..

suislidE

Texas Tech!!
Oct 30, 2003
Lubbock, Texas
Bought a Laney VC50 finally! I got it a couple days ago, and I couldnt be happier. Ive heard and read that the cleans on this amp are very good, and I definately agree. They even sound great at low volume, as I havent had the chance to crank it up yet. The distortion channel on the other hand I really cant say much because even on 1, the thing is loud enough to turn peoples heads outside and wonder wtf? I will take it somewhere sooner or later and crank the distortion to see what its really made of, but so far I like it alot more than the marshall dsl/tsl series ive tried. I would also have to say i like the cleans more than any fender i have tried also, which includes the hot rod deluxe as well as a twin reverb. I think its just cause fenders are made to be played with single coils, but who knows. This amp has a really warm clean sound, but the tone is so thick and rich.. hard to explain. Im happy though.

Is feedback the high noise a amp makes if you stop playing and don't close your volume? I really don't now if it is that, but if it is, what's the problem? You can always close your volume

that's feedback, which is the amplification of the signal repeatedly to a certain level and tone through repeated layering and looping (the sound coming out affects your instrument's vibration and makes it vibrate more, making the sound come out change, which repeats the cycle until you have a continuous harmonic.)

a lot of people have fun with the feedback sound and -try- to get it to happen

Even with the VC50 i found i can get very near to the damnation clean and overdriven sounds, but the solo tones are a little tough cause i cant get that super smooth breakup & sustain at lower gain. Im still very eager to crank the amp on the distortion chan with the boost.. here in my apartment/dorm on campus I turned it up just above 3 and just by playing a couple of power chords my ears started to hurt, and the floor and wall vibrated a little... still didnt reach a good tone though rofl. Im going to have to take it somewhere semi-isolated to really crank it. Damn this thing is really loud on the distortion channel though.

The clean channel even with the boost sounds great at low volume though, which is what i have been enjoying lately. Oh, and even when i turned it up with almost full distortion(3 o'clock) & volume up, i didnt get any feedback when i was sitting 2 feet in front of the amp!

Oh and i forgot, possibly the reason i dont get feedback is because the tubes are fairly new groove tubes, and it came with 2 celestion G12T-75's. I assume that may help the tone.

I just got a Laney MXD 120, and i have to admit it was mainly the opeth endorsement that made me look at Laney. The amp also has a lovely clean tone and lots of effects, but the gain didnt goe to the lenghts i would have liked. Using a boss distortion pedal makes it fine though, I love it!
SEVER!

Hmm, I'm also on the lookout for a new amp. The VC50 seems like a good choice. As BurningSky, I'd also like to know the price you guys paid for it.

I've heard the VC series can get very good clean and overdriven sounds. To push them into the 'metal' spectrum however, aid is needed. I'm sure a tubescreamer or such would work a treat.

I'm still saving up for a 5150 (or as they're now known... 6505) because I'm more into the metal side of things. Damnation lost its magic :)

I'm looking to laney amps maybe i'll get them but now im using a behringer gx212.Actually it is fine but i can't get the though distortion sound from it.(Maybe thats because of the damm guitar im using now).So is there anyone using it with good guitar.I will get an ESP soon and i wonder what it sounds when i use it with behringer amph...

I bought mine for $500.

When i really started thinking about buying it or something else, It was either the VC50 or a Peavey XXX combo. The thing that turned me away from the peavey were the cleans. And in this case, the VC50 fucking stomps it. Once i crank the distortion on it, ill think about getting a tonebone hot british pedal to really make it scream. Ive heard a few clips and i really like the tone that comes out of those things.

Doesn't an extra pedal in front of your amp's overdrive mess up your sound?
I remember that I once plugged in my old Boss OD-2, and the sound was fat, but through headphones (we were trying to get a recording sound), it sounded waaay too chaotic. How can I avoid this?

suislidE said:
I bought mine for $500.

When i really started thinking about buying it or something else, It was either the VC50 or a Peavey XXX combo. The thing that turned me away from the peavey were the cleans. And in this case, the VC50 fucking stomps it. Once i crank the distortion on it, ill think about getting a tonebone hot british pedal to really make it scream. Ive heard a few clips and i really like the tone that comes out of those things.

500 for the laney? That's a really good price for a giggable amp.

Silent Song said:
when i use an outside OD, i set the amp to a clean channel first. layering OD's can make the tone really muddy really fast.
I think moonlapse ment putting the tubescreamer in front of the OD channel, and I also thought that would make the sound muddy. But his samples usually don't sound muddy at all, so...

Since we're on the subject of amps, I'm looking to buy a giggable amp, low price range, and I'm tossing up between the Peavey 5150, VC50 (though I've got a feeling that this will be too expensive), and the Randall RG-100. Any of you guys had any experience with these amps?
Suggestions, cautions, price-ranges?

Thanks

:Spin:

atilla000 said:
I think moonlapse ment putting the tubescreamer in front of the OD channel, and I also thought that would make the sound muddy. But his samples usually don't sound muddy at all, so...
true, it just seems like a strange thing. maybe he meant OD channel with low gain, and then a pedal

There is a VC50 on ebay at the moment, BIN is at 450 i think, starting form 300. It doesnt have speakers cause the guy said shipping was too expensive ($200) but thats bs. I only had to pay $23 on shipping for mine, with insurance through fedex ground! Box came and nothing was wrong, cant beat that.