Just got back from DT/Opeth in Chi-town

King Richard

Hello there
Mar 23, 2006
Wouldn't you like to know
My eyes are so blood-shot right now I look baked out of my mind. Not only that, but I (of course) had to do all the driving (7 hours round trip) so I'm tired as fuck and my ears are ringing and my neck is sore as fuckand I can't recall most of the songs that were played atm and this is a really long run-on sentence so I'll just end it by saying I'll update you fagitos tomorrow.

For now, all I can say is: :kickass:

How much material off Watershed? Do you recall the Opeth setlist?

That I do know...

Master's Apprentices
Baying Of The Hounds
In My Time Of Need
Heir Apparent
Wreath
The Drapery Falls

I remember most of DT's setlist as well I suppose. Let's see.

In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 1
Beyond This Life
Misunderstood
Forsaken
As I Am
Erotomania
Voices
The Ministry Of Lost Souls
Solo duel featuring Petrucci and Moore (keyboardist). Moore was using a keytar, it was fucking hilarious!
Encore was a medley of Metropolis, Learning To Live, Acos: The Crimson Sunset

I don't know any of the songs that 3 played. To sum them up in 1 word: Interesting.

BTBAM played 4 songs, which were the last 4 songs on their latest album Colors. Ants Of The Sky, Prequel To The Sequel, Viridian, and White Walls. My favorite was White Walls. I've listened to any of their studio albums and those the rest of their show was pretty meh. They didn't particularly have that great of sound so I'm going to hold off judgment until I hear some albums.

I was there as well, just wrote up this review so I'll copy it here.

Opeth's setlist:
Master's Apprentices
Baying of the Hounds
In my Time of Need
Wreath
Heir Apparent
Drapery Falls

I think I got the setlist right... anyways, here is the full review

My thoughts on the evening:

First off

Venue: Although its weird to see some of this music (mostly) sitting in the balcony, the Rosemont Theater is a beautiful venue, and from where I was sitting at least, the sound was the best I've experienced all night. So the venue worked out great in my opinion. Its also a mere 10 minutes from where I live and not buried in the city.

Three: I had never heard of this band before hearing that they were announced to be on this tour. I generally like to hear some material before I see a band, so I was able to get my hands on some songs and they sounded really interesting. They 100% blew me away tonight. I made sure I got there early enough to see their entire set, and I'm ecstatic that I did. Excellent band that I will be checking out much more of. My friend and girlfriend were equally impressed. Progressive Nation made three new three fans (no pun intended) with us tonight.

BTBAM: I had heard of BTBAM before this tour, but never really gave them much of a chance. When I checked them out a long time ago I wrote them off as a generic metalcore band with somewhat annoying vocals. After hearing that I would be seeing them, I decided to pick up their new cd Colors, and I've been listening to it for the last 4 or 5 months. I've grown to really love this cd, all the vocal styles, and all the musical styles included. It's a fantastic album and I was really excited to see some of it live. They didn't disappoint. I wish I could have seen a bit more actually. I heard some people who liked them, but probably more of the older DT crowd (no offense) that couldn't get past the vocals. I understand this since I couldn't either at first. I'm not sure I could have enjoyed this set as much if I didn't know and love the songs beforehand. Anyways, I'm also a new BTBAM fan thanks to this tour.

Opeth: Opeth is right up there as one of my favorite bands, I've seen a lot of great shows by them but its been about two years since the last time I caught a show, the chronology show actually. Opeth was reallly really good. I loved the setlist choice, and Wreath was probably the highlight of my entire night. They bring great intensity and music to every show. The new stuff sounded awesome too. In conclusion, Opeth has and always will own. They sounded really good at this venue too, even though it was weird to see them here.

Dream Theater: What can I say. Dream Theater is my favorite band. I've been a fan only since around 6DOIT, but caught every DT show since then, which adds up to a good amount. That being said, I wouldn't jump out and say this was my favorite DT performance ever. For my personal tastes, the setlist wasn't my favorite. But I know every show can't cater just to me, and the setlist seemed to get a really enthusiastic response from the crowd, so I can't complain about it too much. Dream Theater is always amazing, and I'm very happy I was able to see them, especially given that I'm only in Chicago for a few weeks a year, and it was timed perfectly this time around. The new album isn't my favorite, but I've grown to like it a lot, and I enjoyed hearing the tracks live. Dream Theater put together such a stellar batch of bands to play before them, that they came dangerously close to being overshadowed IMO.

So yea, it was awesome. I loved it. Thanks to everyone that made this possible, and thank you to every single member of each band that brought it all tonight.

I was dead center in the balcony, 5th or 6th row back with an Iced Earth shirt on.

I hope everyone else had a great night too.

That I do know...

Master's Apprentices
Baying Of The Hounds
In My Time Of Need
Heir Apparent
Wreath
The Drapery Falls

I remember most of DT's setlist as well I suppose. Let's see.

In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 1
Beyond This Life
Misunderstood
Forsaken
As I Am
Erotomania
Voices
The Ministry Of Lost Souls
Solo duel featuring Petrucci and Moore (keyboardist). Moore was using a keytar, it was fucking hilarious!
Encore was a medley of Metropolis, Learning To Live, Acos: The Crimson Sunset

I don't know any of the songs that 3 played. To sum them up in 1 word: Interesting.

BTBAM played 4 songs, which were the last 4 songs on their latest album Colors. Ants Of The Sky, Prequel To The Sequel, Viridian, and White Walls. My favorite was White Walls. I've listened to any of their studio albums and those the rest of their show was pretty meh. They didn't particularly have that great of sound so I'm going to hold off judgment until I hear some albums.

yeah, It was a great show. I was them at the Vancouver stop.

also,the DT keyboardist is known Jordan Ruddess.Kevin Moore was replaced by him a while back

No, Derek Sherinian replaced Moore. Then Rudess was next. A lot of people don't know that Oliver Wakeman (Rick Wakeman's son)was second choice when DT was looking to replace Derek. It's funny, but Derek got better after getting the boot from DT! I'm going to the June 1st show in Clearwater, Florida, right before Opeth's new album is out. This will be the 9th or 10th time seeing DT, and the 9th time for Opeth. They've yet to disapoint me.

yeah, It was a great show. I was them at the Vancouver stop.

also,the DT keyboardist is known Jordan Ruddess.Kevin Moore was replaced by him a while back

I knew that...I was really tired last night when I wrote that. Not sure why I said Moore.

How much of Mike's annoying banter was in evidence?

I find Mike's banter pretty funny.

I guess I'll toss my review of the show in there.

Rosemont Theatre: B+
First time ever going to a seated venue. I liked it a lot better than some of the standard massive room venues. Only downfall is it's hard to get close to the bands in theatres like other venues.

My seat: C
I was directly in the middle right underneath the balcony. It looked a hellava lot closer in the picture when I ordered them. Oh well.

3: B
I didn't know any of their songs at the time. However one of my friends that came with me has been a fan of theirs for a couple years now so he helped me out. Very interesting music to say the least. The only problem I had with them was that annoying keyboardist/percusionist in the background acting like a dumbass. He was acting like he was playing with the drum beats, but stopped every two seconds to figure out where the fuck he was in the song. Was an eye-sore.

Between The Buried And Me: C+
The only material of theirs that I was familiar with was Alaska, and of course they didn't play anything off of it. Like I mentioned earlier, they played the last 4 songs off of their latest album Colors. It was pretty meh up until the last song, White Walls. Very, very, proggy song (14+ minutes long). The only beef I had with the band is the vocalist, but only because of his monotonous mid-range growls. He's got some killer screams for sure, gave me the chills a couple times hearing them live.

Opeth: B+
I'm sure some of you are wondering why I gave Opeth, the band you all assume is my favorite (which they are) a B+. Well two things, only one of which was their fault:
1. Their sound. It was pretty reminiscent of the first time I saw them back in '06. During the first 15 seconds of Ghost of Perdition there were no vocals. However, last night, the guitar tone was too low, the drums and bass were too loud. They shitty sound techs didn't fix it until halfway through Wreath, which was the one song I've been wanting to hear live for the longest time. I was pretty pissed off, but what can you do right?
2. They opened with Master's Apprentices. I don't have a problem with Deliverance at all. It's probably my 3-4 favorite Opeth album, but why this song? I heard setlists from other shows that they opened with Demon Of The Fall. I've grown so tired of hearing Master's Apprentices. Once they hit those first two chords my Opeth experience kind of went downhill a bit. I really wished that had switched Master's Apprentices and In My Time Of Need out for another song. Perhaps like Godhead's Lament, or something a bit, you know, better that people haven't heard live in a long ass time. Regardless, I was really looking forward to seeing Opeth again, but in all honesty, I went to see Dream Theater. Opeth is better doing headlining tours where you can get right up front against the railing and just headbang your ass off.

Dream Theater: A+
The highlight of the night and my year. Surpassing the night of drinking I had with Robert Mathis of the Colts. When DT came out, their sound was spot on from the get go, and twice as loud as Opeth's. Whenever Portnoy played his doublebass groves, it felt like someone was punching you in the chest, hard too. It was fucking amazing! Labrie sounded phenominal. I've heard stories of him fucking up live, but I honestly though he sounded better than some of the albums he's recorded. That was icing on the cake. He was wailing his balls off too, and didn't puss out on some of the high notes. As for the setlist, I loved it. There was one thing I thought that was hilarious. I sang through nearly all of their songs while everyone else just stood there and headbanged a bit. But once they started playing As I Am, everyone went fucking nuts and was singing and stuff, while I was standing there because I didn't know the lyrics. :lol: I just found it funny because you could tell most of those fans only listen to a few of their albums. But whatever.

The thing that got me was how much heavier their songs sound in concert. Like, a couple of the songs they played really aren't heavy at all on the albums, but fuck they were tearing my face off.

Lastly, and most ironically, Portnoy was a bit sloppy for most of the show. He was trying to do some stick throws, and kept missing them. I noticed he missed and either changed or fucked up on a few fills. From what I've seen of them live he is usually flawless. Everyone is intilted to their off night every once in a while I suppose.

Did LaBrie come out and sing for 2 minutes(almost every song), jump into a Petrucci solo leave the stage and come back for the last 2 minutes and sing the rest of the song? That was my first Dream Theatre preformance. All, fucking, night.

He came out and did his part, pumped up the crowd quite a few times and yes, he left during the 10+ minutes of soloing/improv that the rest of the band did. No reason for him to be out there jacking off and being a distraction while the rest of the band was doing their thing.

I was a bit dissapointed with Between The Buried And Me and Opeth. Giving BTBAM a half hour set is a bit of a mistake. I love "White Walls" and "Ants Of The Sky" is pretty good...but I'd much rather hear "Selkies" or anything from Alaska with a few tracks from Colors.

And Opeth. Bah. The only 2 Opeth songs I actually lilked from their set was "Master's Apprentices" and "Heir Apparant". Its a fucking shame they didn't play anything from Still Life or My Arms, You're Hearse. And why did they played "In My Time Of Need"? That is probably my least favorite track off Damnation..

And Dream Theater kicked so much fucking ass. They really know how to put on a show. Fanfuckingtastic.

BTW-->BTBAM played 2 songs...not 4. "Ants Of The Sky" and "White Walls".

I was a bit dissapointed with Between The Buried And Me and Opeth. Giving BTBAM a half hour set is a bit of a mistake. I love "White Walls" and "Ants Of The Sky" is pretty good...but I'd much rather hear "Selkies" or anything from Alaska with a few tracks from Colors.

And Opeth. Bah. The only 2 Opeth songs I actually lilked from their set was "Master's Apprentices" and "Heir Apparant". Its a fucking shame they didn't play anything from Still Life or My Arms, You're Hearse. And why did they played "In My Time Of Need"? That is probably my least favorite track off Damnation..

And Dream Theater kicked so much fucking ass. They really know how to put on a show. Fanfuckingtastic.

BTW-->BTBAM played 2 songs...not 4. "Ants Of The Sky" and "White Walls".

Actually I figured out what they played. They played 3 songs, Ants of the Sky, Viridian, and White Walls. Their set lasted exactly 30 minutes, which is damn near exactly what those 3 songs amount to.

Damn I like Opeth and Btabam fuckin 24 hour ops KFOR support night shift shit! I missed 3IOB last night at uncle pleasants cause of this bullshit but im hoping to see Vital Remains, Demiricous, Inferneaon and Skinless sunday there in louisville.

Okay are you on the indymetal forum? I can see your opinion why you might not like them. I dont mind the band i just cant stand their friends for the most part and that whole broad ripple clique.

Damn, this is a dark day for me. There's an Opeth show at this little club near me and the tickets are sold out! I might try to get some scalped tickets.

And Dream Theater's not even going to be there... so even though I'd like to see Dream Theater, that probably would mean a longer set for Opeth! Yes?