Just got back from Sydney show...

Jaxe

Mar 23, 2004
Sydney, Australia
... fucking amazing! I am blown away.

I saw Opeth live last year at the Metro and I thought that show was the best I'd ever seen. Tonight's has knocked it off pole position.

Highlights were:

April Ethereal
Blackwater Park
Windowpane (surprisingly)
The Moor!!!!!!!!!

Ok.. so every song was a highlight.

Mikael was once again a brilliant showman and kept us entertained between songs with his little jokes. I especially liked when the two Martins played a bit of Billie Jean by Michael "sharing your bed is the most loving thing you can do" Jackson.

My only gripe is that the audience was fucking lame. Maybe the venue was to blame (standing room for a few hundred and seating for the rest), but who the hell sits down for Blackwater Park?! I was up the entire concert banging my head. Maybe everyone else was just "taking it in" or something.. but I was pretty dissappointed. The crowd at the last Sydney show were much more alive.

My seat cost me $100 (I bought 2 tix and my mate pulled out on me lat minues)! I don't care now - it was well worth it.

Oh yeah.. I recorded the whole show on my MP3 player. Unfortunately, it only records at 128Kbps and the shitty little mic probably couldn't handle the volume. I'm yet to listen to it, but if anyone wants a copy (or a cleaned up version if I can) then I'll make it available to you.

If you were there, let me know what you think.

Cheers guys! Thanks Opeth!

Damn Straight!!
Absolutely fucking brilliant!!

Just got back myself. Dungeon were awesome as well. Favourite songs were probably The Moor and April Ethereal, and of course the crowd went fucking nuts for Demon of the Fall. You do have a point about the crowd in blackwater park, can't say the same for myself though... I've got whiplash!

Well done! I'm seeing them tomorrow in Brisbane — cannot wait :headbang: Did Martin Mendez do his slap bass thingy during Blackwater Park's coda?

I would be interested in a copy, Jaxe. It sould be great if Opeth offered soundboard recordings of their live shows like Metallica does [LiveMetallica.] Opeth's shows are far superior and memorable, IMO, and I'd definitely pay USD 13 to get a lossless copy.

It was just fantastic. The highlight for me was The Moor, one of my favourite Opeth songs of all.

And I agree, the floor did feel like it would break during Deliverance.

I loved when Mikael got us all to Death growl, I dont know about you guys, but my throat is fucked!

What a great night, and the band are so genuine a bunch of guys.

Thankyou Opeth for giving us more ammunition for praise to you. You guys RULE!

Hey Strat666 - I've just beeing dicking around with my crappy recording. Looks like it's pretty useless... although you can hear what Mikael says and parts of songs. I will keep trying to clean it up, but this really isn't my forte. Unfortunately, my MP3 player only records in 32Kbps!!! I was more than a little disappointed when I discovered this just now! Anyway, the whole concert is only ~28MB. I should be able to send it to you tomorrow from work. Oh no.. work. :(

Hey, I wonder if anyone saw me there, I was the guy wearing the Red muscle shirt saying:
"Friendly when Drunk"
I kinda stood out without a black shirt on.
But back on topic:
That concert was totally brilliant,
I was in the pit the entire time, battling it out. :)
The concert was utterly incredible,
That 'We like to Headbang' comment was priceless, whoever did that deserves a beer.

Hi Jaxe,

Thanks for the offer. 32kbps is pretty bad :) If you think it's worth getting, please upload the file to some server and post the link [rather than e-mail it.] I'll download it Friday.

It's best not to touch the MP3 file if you're not sure of your audio cleaning skillz. I'll see what I can do with Cool Edit and, if it's good enough, send you a fixed copy.

Cheers, and keep on headbanging at work!

Just got back, Excellent show (not as good as Metro last year)

Set List:

Masters Apprentices
Drapery
The Moor
Windowpane
IMTON
TRTD
April Ethereal
Deliverance
BWP
Demon

Mikael is honey-mooning on Hamilton Island, good choice :)

FArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk that was an awesome concert! The moor is brilliant live! I also liked the slow songs more then I thought I would, live.

Dungeon in support were good too

Dungeon are gunna save the world man! Go the goblet of rock!!!!
I saw a dude with a friendly when drunk shirt, but i remember it being black..
Wow, what a blur!
Thanks for the setlist by the way!!
Mad trampoline mosh.. good for the ankles ;)

i loved the show... i was in a NOFX tee.... i wasnt a big fan of the seating. i was in the 3rd row from the front... i only sat down coz my back was going to give way... i am also surprised the whole place didnt collapse when everyone was banging their feet on the ground. i dont think they had mosh pits in mind when designing that theatre... hahaha... yeah, fucken oath. a metro gig wouldve been better, but the dropkick murphys were playing there with rose tattoo.... im pissed coz the cu*ts in melbourne get 3 shows... THREE!!!!

That was bloody brilliant.
Haha.... that "we like to head bang" guy was hilarious. Best night ever!!!!
the floor was awesome... was just bouncing up and down, im suprised no one went through it.

Got me a nice hoodie \m/ . i wanted the old skool opeth writing tee, but was girls only... and the tee with the red opeth writing sold out :(

ohwell......... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once again, a fantastic show. Sound quality wasn't quite as good as the Metro last year, and they didn't play Forest..., but they did perform plenty of other rarely played songs so I was happy.

Blackwater Park floored me, and the Moor & April Ethereal where also a welcome surprise.

Good crowd too.

Thanks again Opeth...you know we love to headbang.

It went off!! And I got free beer!

Only 2 complaints were this j00 infront of me who stood there doing nothing the whole time and this tall guy wh0ring the front and blocking everyone else's view... btw, I tried for hours to move him to let some of my friends in, unfortunately he proved to be immaculate and rather dosile. About that j00, I got him the hell out of the way, everytime the crowd went off I would push him out of the way.

But yes; We like too headbang!!!!