just wondeirng what you all think is their best?

raccyd

Nov 27, 2002
dorset, england
www.theflashers.tk
hey, i don't really know much about anthrax and was just visiting your forum and wanted to ask what you reckoned was their best album. i'm sure you must have all answered this a million times and you probably all have different opinions. i've heard the odd song ( yes- the obvious ones!- bring the noise, I am the law, looking down the barrell of a gun- you know the likes) and think i should check out an album or two. what do you reckon i should start off with? i own a vinyl by them- a single of bring the noise and that's it. What do you all reckon??

i would say start with the new school stuff, such as "the sound of white noise" and of course "Stomp 442", good luck finding Vol 8. After those, get the old school stuff, starting with "among the living", their best album. I also love state of euporia. All their albums are fucking awesome. Persistance of Time is a darker but ripping album.

Try the newer albums. I'd recommend "Sound Of White Noise".
(Because "Volume 8" is hard to find and "Stomp 442" isn't my favorite album.)
After you fall in love with "Sound Of White Noise", check out "Among The Living" or "Persistence of Time".
Then you'll probably want to go buy the rest. And by the time you're done buying every Anthrax album, "We've Come For You All" will be available !

you really can't go wrong with persistence of time- their best record with joey. and my first ever thrax record.
volume 8 is cool too.
hell, just buy them all!!! : )

The early Joey Belladonna/Neil Turbin stuff sounds pretty dated these days but Among the Living and Persistence of Time stand the test of time. Among because it is just one of the 80's speed metal/thrash metal bibles (along w/ Reign in Blood, Peace Sells, Master of Puppets etc.) and Persistence because it is just a dark pissed off, did I mention dark record. State of Euphoria is actually Anthrax's biggest seller, but is considered too "poppy" by many. I however do like it, as it was the first Anthrax album I remember buying when it was a new release. It has some killer songs trust me. Spreading the Disease has it's moments, particularly "AIR," "Gung Ho," and "Armed and Dangerous." Fistful of Metal is really only for diehards, but it has some cool riffs and a cool song called "Metal Thrashing Mad."

The John Bush stuff I like a lot better. It is not as recognized for it's great songwriting, because, well IMO, the 80's stuff was really innovative in that Anthrax were one of the first thrash bands, and they really don't write thrash stuff any more, and while the new stuff may not be as "original" I think it is superior music. Anthrax have throughout the '90s and up thru the present developed this sort of "groove metal" sound. Charlie seems to be combining the roots of 70's influences w/ the sounds of Pantera-like metal. I for one think it rules. Sound of White Noise is the darkest of the Bush era albums and perhaps the most consistent, there isn't a bad song in the bunch. It was also the last Anthrax album to attain any commercial success. Stomp 442 is sleeker, faster, and more Pantera like. At times it feels like it is being heavy just for the sake of being heavy though (does that sense??) and I think that is why people prefer SoWN over it. Personally, I love listening to Stomp when I need to drive somewhere. It makes me drive like 110 mile per hour!!!:p Then came the emotionally power packed Volume 8: The Threat Is Real and this album gets rave reviews from every die hard. I personally think that it was a tad under-produced. It just feels like every song that they had any notion of recording made the record, for better or for worse. But man oh man, there are some classic tunes here!! John Bush really sings his butt off on every song on this album.

Stomp and Persistance of Time are my personal favorites, but you can really boil it down to five essential records....Stomp, POT, Sound of White Noise, Amoung the Living, and Vol 8 (in no particular order). Vol 8 is pretty hard to find, but take your pick of the rest. They all own....

j

(I reckon....)

Every album with Bush, doesn't matter which one but I'd recommend SOWN and Volume 8. Start with SOWN first. Then Volume 8, then Stomp 442, then maybe Among The Living or Attack Of The Killer B's.