just wondering

arhaic

New Metal Member
Sep 3, 2006
so i was just wondering, how many of you prefer the old times of katatonia ? who regrets their change of style ? it took a while for me until i got used to the new "depressive rock" style, but i must say i love it now. however the old doom one still has a great place in my heart. what do you think ? (might be a stupid question but i'm sure some are still hanging on to the old days).

To me each album is like a new band. Something most bands can't acheive without messing up serverly...Katatonia can craft the perfect mood for each album and never ever dissapoint. They are perfect at what they do.

Hail every era, album...etc!

i myself couldn't make a comparison between the eras. lately i've been listening to the new stuff more, but still not a day passes without dance of december souls :). the weird thing is, some of my friends which aren't that much into extreme metal seem to like the old doomy part of katatonia more :lol: .

Really, I love both eras. They differ in style, but every album is Katatonic. I don't at all regret their change in style. However, a lot of my absolute favorites from this band are from the old era. If anything, I wish they would play a greater number of older songs in concert. (I suppose we'll see what happens next month.)

I love both eras, but I had to get used to Brave Murder Day a lot when it came out, took me a loooooooooong time before I started to appreciate it. I also was hesitant to buy "Discouraged Ones" when it came out, only after reading some rave reviews I decided to give it a go, which was already many months after its release. Same with Tonight's Decision, I somehow expected it to be some 2nd rate DO, but when I finally bought it, it proved me wrong, so wrong :). From that time I bought each new album right when it came out.

So, to answer the question, I don't have a preference, I like all their stuff, they're one of the few bands whose evolution I followed and stuck with (just like Sentenced, Anathema).

brave murder day + everything next to that :)

I don't really know the stuff from before that period well, but what I heard I did not really like.

my fave is Last fair deal gone down btw:)

I think they are both great in different ways ovbviously, in the end I have to say I enjoy each equally.

I can listen to Without God, Funeral Wedding, then go to Tonights Music and In The White and enjoy them them just as much and not even mind the change if they were right after one another.

I'm not perfectly sure why, but Discouraged Ones has been my favorite album of theirs since I started listening to them. (Fairly recently actually). I just love how sad it feels.
Of course, all I have of theirs is Discouraged Ones, Viva Emptiness, and The Great Cold Distance. Maybe someone could suggest a Katatonia album I should look into next?
I've been recently getting into doom and I can't say I'm not addicted, so the older style for me I guess.

LightningLixxx said:
I'm not perfectly sure why, but Discouraged Ones has been my favorite album of theirs since I started listening to them. (Fairly recently actually). I just love how sad it feels.
Of course, all I have of theirs is Discouraged Ones, Viva Emptiness, and The Great Cold Distance. Maybe someone could suggest a Katatonia album I should look into next?
I've been recently getting into doom and I can't say I'm not addicted, so the older style for me I guess.

why don't pick the classic Dance of December Souls ? :kickass:

i absolutely love them both (my favourite albums are among those of the first era though). i don't regret their change of style at all, i see it as the natural evolution of the band. they've been making music for more than a decade now and of course it can't sound the same as when they first started out.