Just wondering...

hm, well i like the song "Spiders"..

very weird band. their songs are certainly fun to listen to.

whats their latest album like?

I like them. They're not musically brilliant by any stretch, but their songs are interesting enough in style, and relatively diverse. The majority of the songs on the debut were each cool in their own right.

Actually, I saw System live at Ozzfest in '99. With the arguable exceptions of the highly revered Slayer, and moreso, Black Sabbath, they were the best live band there (Fear Factory were pretty good also), and I give Serj Tankian honours for the most interesting and "to-the-album accurate-sounding" frontman.

I have no idea what their new (upcoming? Is it out yet?) record is like - but I have a fear that it is quite likely that it will, well, suck... can they maintain their original style yet progress it enough to keep it interesting without falling into a trap of sounding like their bland nu-metal "colleagues"?

Ok. I'm not trying to piss anyone off or anything, but what on earth do you like about this band? I saw the video for that chop suey song the other day. The singer was horrible, the lyrics were stupid, and the instrumentation was boring and repetive. No wonder eMpTyV was playing it...

Originally posted by Alucard
Ok. I'm not trying to piss anyone off or anything, but what on earth do you like about this band? I saw the video for that chop suey song the other day. The singer was horrible, the lyrics were stupid, and the instrumentation was boring and repetive. No wonder eMpTyV was playing it...

Stupid lyrics?

"I don't think you trust in my self-righteous suicide,
I cry when angels deserve to die..."

Better than most I think. Also, the vocal style is excellent, especially during the chorus. Listen to it again.

I like Spiders. That's a damn good song and the vocalist does quite well. But I've only heard the album once and REALLY didn't like the other songs on it. I had the great joy of reading an article about them saying how eclectic and good they were musically. But this magazine also said Mudvayne was well written so I don't take it too seriously.....

I am not much of a fan of them, but the new song that I heard on the radio is really nice. Their singer has really developed in a good way, a good song I think.

I like the chorus of that song in a guilty-pleasure type of way, but then he gets all spastic and ruins it. that was my impression of their older stuff too.

i saw them live for just a song or 2 and though i would give them a chance sometime but the other day i saw their new video for their new single (chop Suey i guess not sure) and it was not good at all, i hate his voice.
Jay

Of course I like System of a Down... Just look at my signature line :)

The music is mellodious, the lyrics are excellent, and the mood is schizophrenic, Serj (originally from Beirut) is a great vocliast able to transmit emotions such as anger, frustration, quite forcefully. The mixing of rap/metal vox is done quite briliantly. Lovely band!

Can't wait for Toxicity. They had a free concert in West Hollywood today (labor Day)... so if live in that area and missed it, you're a wanker.:D

I downloaded Toxicity.
A couple of great tracks, the rest... typical System.

When you listen to music and you are uplifted, the place you go is not physical........
Serj