Katatonia 'Dance of December Souls' limited edition shirts for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good to hear, Jesse. The JEM front cover would look so great on a shirt, with the pic of Anders and Jonas in corpsepaint on the back with the text, 'GOD IS DEAD AND SHALL FOREVER BE.' But I've already said that in the past. Anyway, YAY 'cause I just won a DoDS shirt, the second one sold, I guess. I wanted the first one, but some BASTARD beat me. =P Only 'cause I was on a slow computer, mind. ~_~

Ryan

Mantraschism said:
That's good to hear, Jesse. The JEM front cover would look so great on a shirt, with the pic of Anders and Jonas in corpsepaint on the back with the text, 'GOD IS DEAD AND SHALL FOREVER BE.' But I've already said that in the past. Anyway, YAY 'cause I just won a DoDS shirt, the second one sold, I guess. I wanted the first one, but some BASTARD beat me. =P Only 'cause I was on a slow computer, mind. ~_~

Ryan

HaHa! that was me!! youll never beat me!!!!!!!, i also have a slow computer

Mantraschism said:
That's ok, jptk -- I got this one for 30 dollars fewer anyway! So I guess I DID beat you... =P

And, Jesse, I'd like that shirt in size XL. Thanks man. \m/

Ryan

Dammit! ok you win :D

Mantraschism said:
That's ok, jptk -- I got this one for 30 dollars fewer anyway! So I guess I DID beat you... =P

And, Jesse, I'd like that shirt in size XL. Thanks man. \m/

Ryan

You need to email me the size information. I'm not going to check the forums to see what sizes people want, as it's obviously hard to keep track of who is who and who's winning what. Just shoot me an e-mail with your size so I make sure I'm sending it to the right person. Thanks!

Er, these limited runs are messing with my mind a bit (not that that's hard to do ... *drool*) but, ya see, suppose I were to hold out for, say, a Saw You Drown shirt ... but a FFTC shirt was released first and looked damn cool ... then a Saw You Drown shirt was released but something was a bit off, or not to my taste, and the FFTC shirt was sold out ... does that mean I'm shit outta luck?
Also, the thing is that I'd be paranoid to wear a shirt if I know it's never gonna be re-printed, like the Bloodbath ones.

I must say, that no matter who's selling these shirts, I don't like this kind of behaviour. I know bands, that make these limited shirts, but they either sell them only to selected people or put a price tag to them and sell them to fastest. Making a limited run and then selling them to highest bidder is against my ideology and I'm not the only one. I'll bet, that after my post here will be many posts against my post, but think about it as a whole and not just something concerning Katatonia.

It is necessary for bands to find a way to earn money and help support themselves off of what they do. Merchandise is one of the biggest ways that bands support themselves and continue to invest in the band. If putting down a thousand dollars or so for a short run of shirts and subsequently selling them on Ebay to those who will bid the highest (and thus help support the band and the music) is against your ideology, then that's pretty ridiculous.

I completely understand if you feel uncomfortable spending the amounts some of these shirts go for when they are initially put online (after a few weeks you notice they go down significantly). I definitely understand that.. but to say that this method of directly supporting a band is somehow immoral or unethical (or whatever) is silly. Underground bands are always strapped for cash and if they invest nearly a thousand dollars in a limited shirt run, I don't see why you wouldn't encourage them to make some money back and help support themselves and their work.

I have nothing against merchandice and I also know, that merchadice is usually the biggest way to earn money, if the band is not huge. I also know, that printing a shirt costs about 7€/shirt, so band can easily get money, by just putting a price tag of 20€/shirt to them. Selling them on Ebay to highest bidder sure is against my ideology and as you said, that's pretty ridiculous.

You said, that after few weeks I shall notice how the prices has come down. Well, maybe so, but when you're not telling how many copies were made, you make people to buy them immidiately, since there's no way of knowing how many there will be.

I'm just a one person, so my opinion doesn't mean anything, but I don't support this kind of action, however I believe there will be plenty of collectors/people that don't share my opinion.

M.Lehto said:
You said, that after few weeks I shall notice how the prices has come down. Well, maybe so, but when you're not telling how many copies were made, you make people to buy them immidiately, since there's no way of knowing how many there will be.

One thing to make clear is that we are definitely not "making" people buy anything. You have control of what decision you make. If you decide to buy it as soon as they go up, fine, if you decide to wait a week or two for them to go down in price, fine, if you decide you don't want one at all, that's okay too.

Even if a profit could be eventually made selling them for 20euros each, the goal is to make as much money possible to help support the band. Period. Nobody is trying to hide that.

Anyways, best of luck towards getting a shirt if it ever gets within a price range you accept. I think both of our points have been made clear.

Plus there's something undeniably kvlt about having a shirt only 50 or so other people have and that you bidded your ass off for rather than just a shirt you all paid $20 for (makes them seem more released thru a factory evenif there are only 50), and if your making a profit with $20 why not make as much profit as you can if there's people that will buy them for this much? I mean i don't even see it as THAT much anyway for such rare and good quality shirts considering how much similarly rare shirts that were released say 10 years ago go for. If you're not a collector-type person then you won't buy them anwyay and so it shouldn't bother you how much they go for surely?

And it pleases me to know maybe paying 'so much' for shirts will help the band to release more cool stuff like merch etc. in the future! Ooh and Katatonia are more important than money ;-).

the Everdarkgreen said:
Plus there's something undeniably kvlt about having a shirt only 50 or so other people have and that you bidded your ass off for rather than just a shirt you all paid $20 for (makes them seem more released thru a factory evenif there are only 50), and if your making a profit with $20 why not make as much profit as you can if there's people that will buy them for this much? I mean i don't even see it as THAT much anyway for such rare and good quality shirts considering how much similarly rare shirts that were released say 10 years ago go for. If you're not a collector-type person then you won't buy them anwyay and so it shouldn't bother you how much they go for surely?

And it pleases me to know maybe paying 'so much' for shirts will help the band to release more cool stuff like merch etc. in the future! Ooh and Katatonia are more important than money ;-).

Well said! :cool:

its brilliant,marketing something in limited quantities insures sales.....i was thinking about that the other day...........people always are more eager to by stuff that is in danger of becoming un obtainable.
brilliant capitalism!
love,Aust

there is a lot of talk about supporting bands in this day in age.
here is everyone's chance to put their money where their mouth is.

I can understand M.Lehto's feelings, but Jesse's right that nobody's forcing you to buy one or to bid on one. You could just offer the shirts for a fixed price via the site, but then all shirts will be gone in a few days, also limiting your chances of obtaining one if you just happened to be offline for a few days and miss the announcement.

I also just waited and got a Sounds Of Decay shirt for just 50 cents on top of the starting bid, I'd also NEVER pay such ridiculous amounts for a shirt as some people do, no matter how limited it is. I also don't understand why people pay so much for the first copy of a shirt to go online, the last one OK, but the first??! I'm also all but sure if I'm gonna buy a DODS shirt, I've got soooo many shirts already.

I paid nearly $100 USD for 2 Katatonia Sounds of Decay shirts. Why? Not because of the rarity, not because of the collectors value, but because all the money went straight to my favorite band. Katatonia is now $80-90 richer because I bought 2 shirts from them. That'll help pay for some studio time, which in turn will crank out a new album, which in turn I shall buy.

you don't want to pay that much for a DoDS shirt, quit whining and go buy a Good Charlotte shirt instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.