Katatonia status 2008

Not sure I can cope with no Katatonia album in 2008...but if I must then I must. I just feel that Katatonia is the ONLY band I want to see a new album from these days. They're the only band I feel can create something truly unique and fresh. I hope for a bit more variety in the new album, so the news about the Unfurliness isn't bad at all. Of course..I would almost like a song in the vein of Omerta just to bring some warmth into the album.

Anyhoo, hope Katatonia continue to experiment with their sound. It just gets sad if all the good bands get stuck in the old days..like My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost atm. Too much retrospective music from that part these days. Katatonia always takes a step forward no matter what they do..even when they take a step back (feel free to interpret that however you want)

But geez..I hate myself for wanting this and wanting that..I just hope the Katatonia makes something they feel is right, I bet it will shine through in the end..even if it's a strange kind of raggae album they end up making.

Just continue making the bass and drums a bit part of the music and I'll be very happy. Leaders is more or less perfection to me.

I would love to hear some Viva Emptiness style mixed with Unfurl style!

And I'm not just super serial, I'm HIV positive!

Yeah. More variety definitely is all I ask for.

tgcd didn't seem to have enough for my taste. I think production played a big part in that though.

Yeah. More variety definitely is all I ask for.

tgcd didn't seem to have enough for my taste. I think production played a big part in that though.

I think the whole album has variety but it just lacks some kind of warmth in it.That would be the production I guess.Though I have no problem with the coldness it has...

The strange thing about TGCD is that if I listen to the whole album the songs kind of blend into eachother and seems rather grey, but if you pick out any one of the songs they sound incredible. But yes, the only weakness TGCD has is just the variety issue. Still, does it really matter when an album is that well made? I'm really not sure...

But heck, TGCD made a bridge for me over to VE (because I hated that album) and now it's probably one of my alltime fav Katatonia albums after TGCD which holds an ambivalent first place.

The really strange thing is that I've always skipped Journey Through Pressure, but as some of you above have talked so warm about it I've taken that one out and listened to it more..and yes, it's actually very good too. It's from now on not excluded.

I just can't believe Leaders is so far down on the top rated list here. Fun..

We're talking music warmth now haha. As for weather I'm as non-metal as can be :lol:

Hehe, me too..
Sucks living this far up north for both of us then :D

But back to the point..I almost forgot.
It's easier to feel cold, when you've felt the warmth and well..my point is that a ...(long rant just got deleted..I'll make it shorter)
My point is..god why is so hard for me to make myself clear?

MY POINT IS THIS...most really great albums just feel greater if they manage to balance more emotions than just shades of grey (isn't that a PL song?) Anyhoo...I'm going to sleep now.

Sudden insight..I must be miserable since I'm forum whoring this much...must be because I should be writing on my bachelor degree...thingy...had the whole bloody day off and I have written 100 words. I hate myself right now..damn everything..especially internet ..which really in some way is a reflection of everything human...isn't it? Right...fuck me..

As I think that Katatonia is a band with the approach to be progressive in a way or another, I hope they will leave "The Great cold distance" behind to find a new musical way that represents and also re-invents their great vibes.

In my opinion Katatonia should focus on their strength to be amazing songwriters . So for me they should mix the catchiness of Last fair deal gone down with the more experimental stuff they did on the Ep's.

Please do not misunderstand - there should be not second LFDGD nor a second Unfurl. It's just the basement they can take to write new songs.

And also, the perfection und the concept for TGCD were great but for the next album they need a totally different approach.

It's up to you, Anders and Jonas. :)