Katatonia status 2008

Unfurl is a fantastic song so that would be a nice place to start from. But I agree it would be nice to stay away from the sound of TGCD and find something new.

i don't think anyone will complain about the time it will take for the next album

unless the same thing happens that has happened with the upcoming Wintersun album...

Meh, me either. I just know that the album has been delayed numerous times over the past 2 years or something like that.

I'm not much into that folk/viking/whateveryoucallit stuff.

Take all the time you guys need, we're all here for you guys, so just give'r and we'll probably like it! :D

I don't much go for the whole "lets drink and pretend we're vikings" branch of folk metal, just a bunch of thrash metal fans trying to act diverse. Real folk metal (old Borknagar, old Ulver, Falkenbach, Drudkh, In the Woods, etc) is where the party's at. However I do admit that stuff like Korpiklaani can be real fun if you're in the mood, what with all those happy pixie melodies. Such quaint vigour.

Back on topic: Ideally the next Kat cd would come out in 09 sometime, maybe mid/early, perhaps later if they'll be touring later in 08. The most important thing is that they should take as long as they think is necessary, and if thats 1 or 2 years then so be it but at least you can be sure that the end result will be more than satisfactory if not just totally excellent.

I've personally been hoping for more stuff like 'Code Against the Code' and 'Unfurl', since those were by far my favorite songs from the TGCD sessions. But... whatever. I'm sure it'll be amazing, whatever direction the album goes.

As far as the joke about making one heavy and one soft album: wasn't that Jonas's idea (for Opeth) in the first place?

I've personally been hoping for more stuff like 'Code Against the Code' and 'Unfurl', since those were by far my favorite songs from the TGCD sessions. But... whatever. I'm sure it'll be amazing, whatever direction the album goes.

As far as the joke about making one heavy and one soft album: wasn't that Jonas's idea (for Opeth) in the first place?

Actually, that would be quite cool. It at least takes away the discussion about what direction to go in...

"Unfurl" was recorded separately at a later time, not during the TGCD sessions.

And I thought I heard Mikael say during some interview around that time, that the Damnation/Deliverance thing was an idea of the record label.. But I could miss out on some inside info here of course..

Ah well, I didn't know that. I tend to think of all the singles/B-sides associated with a particular album as belonging to that 'session'.

And I'm pretty sure that it was Jonas's idea to have one CD showcasing the heavy stuff and one CD the mellow, not the label's. But it was originally supposed to be one double-album. The label didn't want to do that, so they instead released 'Deliverance' and 'Damnation' as two separate albums. That must be what you're thinking of.

I actually thought that they just didn't finish Damnation in enough time, and that is what they became seperate releases. Who knows though.

Nope. finished them at the same time, and waited for enough time for people to absorb deliverance so they would want to pick up another opeth releases. That's just smart business.