Kemper Profiling Amp

lol thats what i expected from the kemper but it cannot sperate the cab sound exactly from the cab.

Yes that's indeed an issue with the kemper, but you can still use IRs with good results. At least I think so, I'm doing some experimenting on this right now. In the clip I posted earlier I think it worked fine. It's a custom match EQ IR I made from soilwork's new album.

BUT if it sounds great with your IR why not ... i just meant you will find a kemper cab thats to your liking too

I didn't say there are not good kemper cabs, but with IRs you have far more choices and usually from people that know much better how to mic a cab. And you can even make custom "match EQ" ones.

Anyway, what I meant is that in my opinion there's nothing special in the technology of the cab simulation in the kemper that makes it better than IRs. The only thing that is maybe a problem is, like you said, that kemper can't separate accurately the cab from the amp.

Anyway, what I meant is that in my opinion there's nothing special in the technology of the cab simulation in the kemper that makes it better than IRs. The only thing that is maybe a problem is, like you said, that kemper can't separate accurately the cab from the amp.

If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt or debate you, you've just cured my GAS on this.

If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt or debate you, you've just cured my GAS on this.

Well, the part about the cab simulation is my personal opinion, I'm sure others will say that it's much better than IRs.
The part about not separating the cab accurately is a fact, but not as big a problem as it sounds, for me at least. Like I demonstrated in my earlier post it works fine with external IRs which means it can work fine with real cabs too.

But the main advantage of the kemper is that it can capture almost any amp tone accurately enough for big metal bands and metal producers to use them on official recordings. If that doesn't give you GAS I don't know what will ;). Still, you should definitely do some research or even try one if possible to make sure is suits your needs.

As much as I like the look of the Kemper I really can't wait until the second version to be honest. If they set it up so it can go:

Kemper>Preamp>Kemper>Poweramp>Kemper>Cab>Mic>Kemper

So it could seperately profile the preamp, poweramp and cabinet then I think we'd get even more accurate profiling and we'd be able to interchange all 3 sections from one amp to the next.

As much as I like the look of the Kemper I really can't wait until the second version to be honest. If they set it up so it can go:

Kemper>Preamp>Kemper>Poweramp>Kemper>Cab>Mic>Kemper.

i dont have one yet so i might be crazy but, it might be possible depending on the flexibility of the software, it would require more work and a loadbox... and of coarse an amp with fx loop

you can run
kemper>preamp>kemper (pre profile)
then run
Kemper>poweramp>loadbox split to>kemper (poweramp profile)
>cab
then again from
kemper>poweramp>loadbox>cab>mic>kemper (cab impulse)

im not sure the software as it is would allow you to use a profile for the preamp then use another profile of the poweramp section as one of your stomp fx, then the IR or cab maker section for the impulse(remember i dont have one to tinker with yet, so i might be totally wrong)

or people already know how to make their own impulses from their cabs. so you make one then send it into the KPA

If its not possible to put a profile of say the poweramp into a stomp they should make it be in an update.

its been a long day of tracking, so maybe my brain just isnt putting something important together

But the main advantage of the kemper is that it can capture almost any amp tone accurately enough for big metal bands and metal producers to use them on official recordings. If that doesn't give you GAS I don't know what will ;). Still, you should definitely do some research or even try one if possible to make sure is suits your needs.

Exactly. I don't own my own studio with separate rooms yet, but I have access to a professional studio with great rooms and I have amps. The Kemper is a complete game changer. I don't have to rent out a studio to record guitars anymore and I don't have to monitor through something crappy and then reamp later.

The ability to remove the cabinet from a profile is a stated feature of the device.

I know, it's a good feature. I was talking to the guys complaining about the IR conversion are cabinet bypass.

There are a lot of good profiles with good cabinets for metal tones. Try using cabinets from profiles made by Ola, Merrow, Jeff etc.

If you want to be creative you can do pretty cool stuff with changing the cab portion of a profile and I view the fact that you can't remove the coloration of a profile 100% when changing cab portion more as a feature than a bug.
If you i.e. take a cab that was profiled with a Marshall with EL34 and put it on a profile of a Recto or similiar loose amp you'll gain the tightness of the Marshall without it's preamp colouration. Things like this can be fun when being creative with the Kemper. In general though, I prefer to use "ready" profiles, without changing the cab part.

I know, it's a good feature. I was talking to the guys complaining about the IR conversion are cabinet bypass.

There are a lot of good profiles with good cabinets for metal tones. Try using cabinets from profiles made by Ola, Merrow, Jeff etc.

If they have a feature (cabmaker) which they claim to do one thing but it doesn't (at least not yet, maybe they'll fix it in the future) I don't see why we shouldn't complain. If you don't have use for IRs that's fine, doesn't mean others shouldn't. Again, yes there are some good profiles out there but with IRs you have FAR more choices and they DO work with the kemper if you use an external IR loader. The problem is they don't work as they should when you import them.

From what I read on the kemper forums it seems that in order for IRs to work properly with the kemper, cabdriver (which is enabled when you disable the cab section) must be enabled. But when you import an IR and use it within the kemper, cabriver is disabled. That's why IRs only work when you use an external IR loader.

I gave up profiling the preamp section of my amps.
That's for sure the kemper is using an algorithm to make a distortion similar to the amp, then it uses match algorithms to make the cab sound sound similar to the original amp.
You can't reproduce distortion with impulses.
Preamp profiling is just a huge fail.

I just ordered for mine last night. Thanks for this thread. Very informative.

I'm a little concerned about what is said about amps that are hard to profile. I've read it is amps that distort in more than one stage. I like to build them to distort some in each section. Preamp, PI, and output. Fingers crossed.

I just ordered for mine last night. Thanks for this thread. Very informative.

I'm a little concerned about what is said about amps that are hard to profile. I've read it is amps that distort in more than one stage. I like to build them to distort some in each section. Preamp, PI, and output. Fingers crossed.

i really doubt you want PI or output stage distortion on a high-gain amp. maybe for some stoner tones, though :D