Kemper Profiling Amp

You have to be hitting the converters with frequencies of 25-30kHz+ to have audible aliasing under 12-14k when running 44.1kHz. I have a hard time believing that's the case. But then again I don't have in-depth knowledge about the subject, I only know the basic principles. It could very well have to do with the oversampling mechanism, as you say. :)

Sorry, what I meant was that if the aliasing is already introduced before the sound hits the output converters, then the converter level lowpassing wont catch it, as the frequencies will have already wrapped around... ie... the aliasing you hear is the frequencies above 22khz, being wrapped around the spectrum and resulting in tones at 100-300hz (for example)

But yes, you're right... if the aliasing was occuring at the output stage, then a lowpass should fix it. But my gut feeling tells me it's being introduced earlier in the signal path, during the digital stages.

I checked the example in the first thread of the Kemper Forum thread, and well, there quite obviously is something wrong...

You have to be hitting the converters with frequencies of 25-30kHz+ to have audible aliasing under 12-14k when running 44.1kHz. I have a hard time believing that's the case. But then again I don't have in-depth knowledge about the subject, I only know the basic principles. It could very well have to do with the oversampling mechanism, as you say. :)

Fix this by making Kemper rule the Clock (SPDIF should be your master clock).

I don't have a Kemper(yet). If nobody here is having trouble with it, and it's good enough for Andy, I'm quite sure that it'll be worth the money.

After hearing those aliasing sounds and double checking with a few colleagues of mine, I'm pretty disinterested in the Kemper now. If the Kemper works how I think it works, the aliasing is pretty inherent in the technology and probably isn't fixable.

Can you hear any of this Aliasing in Jeff's clips? I sure cant. Maybe I don't have the ears for it? Either way those clips sound fine to me and thats all that really matters.

Can you hear any of this Aliasing in Jeff's clips? I sure cant. Maybe I don't have the ears for it? Either way those clips sound fine to me and thats all that really matters.

Same here. It sounds great. It works for touring, and it works for tracking. I'm not convinced that it will make my tube amps obsolete, but it weighs a LOT less than a tube amp. I was considering getting a Mini Recto for touring, but even though the Kemper costs a bit more I feel that I can justify spending a bit more on it.

No I can't hear it - but it is a full production with drums, bass, all the trimmings. I didn't hear it when I tried it out in the store either to be honest, but I wasn't really listening for it.

I do hear it in some of the audio clips posted on the Kemper forums that discuss this issue. Apparently Kemper has also confirmed the issue.

Ultimately, a £1100 product shouldn't have a flaw like this - imho.

Ultimately, a £1100 product shouldn't have a flaw like this - imho.

I completely agree. I've been thinking that the Kemper is too good to be true(things usually aren't), and it seems as if it isn't perfect after all. I still want one though. People are complaining that the issue is most noticable about two octaves above the high E string, which I never ever use.

I'm glad people dig it, and I'm not trying to take away from peoples enjoyment. Use what you like, but after ages of doing research, I was leaning towards the Axe. This seals the deal for me... which my wallet isn't happy about! lol.

The Axe II isn't THAT much more expensive here. I've tried playing around with it for an hour or so, and I wasn't sold on it. I have access to a few great amps, also in the cleaner spectrum, and I'd prefer to be able to get those amps into the studio, profile them, and get those tones wherever I go. It seems to work for people(not for everyone, but there is enough proof that it can be done). I'm not that interested in a replacement for my amps, I'm more interested in a supplement to them when I'm not able to carry them along.

I think my fantasy was to replace my valve amp setup with a small and compact setup, that could cover all my needs. But realistically, the Kemper was never going to do that given the effects limitations. It's just too young - maybe the next version will be better.

Just priced up the Axe FX rig that I'd want ... we're talking £3000 for the Axe, MFC, and Matrix power amp. That's just a ridiculous amount of money to be honest... I may just stay with valve amps and a pedalboard... need to give it some thought I guess.

The thing that's keeping me from going the modeling or kemper route is that like all digital stuff its just going to get better and better so you'll always want the next best thing. When you have an awesome amp that you get tones you want out of as long as you maintain it you wont need to buy a new one every two years.

They are already on the 3rd Axe FX. It scares me that I'll want to spend 2-3k every other year to get the newest stuff. I already have to do that with computers.

It is so convenient though and for my lifestyle right now would be the best solution but still selling my rig and going all digital doesnt feel right yet.

You guys do make it tough though since some of the clips ive heard are just phenomenal and the flexibility is amazing!