Keyboards=Cheesy?

Nightmarez

Hero In A Dream
Oct 15, 2002
The End
Visit site
You guys tell me what you think...

I for one, think that as long as they're not overdone, keyboards can add just the right feeling, or mood to the song. They add sort of a balance if they're put in the right spot at the right time. However... constant keyboarding over guitar can get very annoying...very fast... at least to me that is.

Personally, I love synth based music. But I prefer instruments like the viola, violin, and cello to any keyboard or synth. It depends on the band really. You don't expect/want to hear a keyboard on a Slayer album, but you would an Old Man's Child album.

As Sonnenritter said it all depends on the band or the album (or the kind of music)... Keyboards are great as long as they can fit in the music and not just be there to impress the listener (or cover the musical problems of the band)....

Originally posted by Kveldssanger
As Sonnenritter said it all depends on the band or the album (or the kind of music)... Keyboards are great as long as they can fit in the music and not just be there to impress the listener (or cover the musical problems of the band)....

I agree.

Keys are, correctley used, a great instrument to add some darkness to a song. I love those parts in songs, when a distorted guitar is underlayed by an organ, piano or violin. But on the other hand, of course, you can use a keyboard to make your song sound cheesy... just think of what pop music is mainly made with. It's a question of how you use it

I like Keyboard oriented bands like Arcturus,Samael and other of the kind
I don't like it when it's all keyboards and nothing else
tho I love the Xytras extra cd on passage

I think that keyboards add alot of atmosphere, and work well with alot of the more melodic, dark shit. I don't think they'd be any good in a thrash band though...but yeah, a thumbs up for keyboards.

Just like guitars, drumming and other parts of a band, I enjoy every bit of keyboarding as long as it stays imaginative.

Perfect example : Dream Theater. Has anyone seen the Metropolis 2000 DVD?? God the keyboarder/ist is fucking crazy!! Him and John Petrucci do some massive solo in sync, sounds awesome.
I love keys, they give songs more atmosphere :D

\m/

As I said in the link I posted, I think Dream Theater has that gross 80's keyboard crap sound on their "Images & words" album. Granted, it was in '92, so I hope it has improved since, but I wouldn't know as I haven't heard any of their other records.