Why are keyboards in metal so hated?

i'm going to throw my two cents in and say that orchestra hits are possibly the worst fucking thing to put in music. ever. good on ya children of bodom

Usually keys are using in power metal.
About the bands - Dark Tranquillity's stuff with keys is not bad, I think.

Zack said:
IMHO, the only band that hasan actual keyboard player that uses them effectively is Amorphis,

It's because it's Amorphis.

The ex spiritual beggers keyboardist on the new opeth is class. holy 70's

Mikael even sometimes resembles the singer for jethro toll.

Aslong as they are not used in black metal keyboards can be just as effective as any other instrument.

I have played piano on and off for the past 20 years. And as bias as this may be coming from me, the piano is an amazing instrument. You can definately add unique and dark and angry elements to a band using them.
I agree with the fact that it has to be the right kind of keyboard, yes orchestral sythesizers can sound cheesy, and I have heard many bands use keyboards to try to "enhance" their sound when all their doing is playing the same chords or small variations throughout entire songs. I think alot of bands do use that simulated orchestra sound to cover up the fact that their talent or skills are limited. Which is fine if you can pull that off. As an example, look at some of Opeth's songs, they use the keyboard subtley, but it adds such an impact to the sound. They place the pieces in the exact appropriate spots to create this smooth melding of sounds, thus creating this dark, passionate, intense music. Although I agree that piano can enhance most songs, there are some bands whose impact with just your basic instruments is enough, Like Slayer for example, you can't touch Slayer, no keyboards necessary.
Bands with guitar players with the likes of Jeff Loomis for example, pack such a punch, can make their guitars convey any emotion their songs are trying to bring to us. Anyway I can go on and on, but I guess my point is this, I really wish people would stop focusing on what's "metal" and what's not and just listen to the music. Piano can be dark and doom, brutal and angry as hell, or sweet and pretty, It's all about what the musician is trying to give to the audience and themselves, what they are trying to express through their music.

I might be a bit biased when I say this cause I'm a fan, but... Nightwish are kinda good with the keyboards :/

For once... fuck keyboards. How about plain piano through the entire song? Take fungoid stream for example.. just love the way they use it.

Evoken 'Lost Kingdom Of Darkness' might possibly have my favorite piano section.

The piano over the riffs with the drummer playing the cymbals.

GOD

the ending of Tragedy Eternal is worth a mention also. To bad dario derna was not on the antithesis of light.

Entropiastrife said:
I find that its pretty like 80% of metalheads who hate keyboards in metal, 10% dont care and only like 10% actually enjoy them. Why is this? Other than saying they are "gay". Can we have an actual reason? They are the most versitile instrument in terms of the tones you can get and work in pretty much every style of music. I find they can always bring an extra element to the music and make it more interesting. It makes everything sound more powerful and full, and takes the music places you cant with the basics. true sometimes they are done wrong and sound cheesy, but that is the same with every instrument. People say it sounds like videogame music.... is that a bad thing? videogames have sweet, evil music usually. Like fucking most boss battles. To me keyboards breathe new life to a music form that otherwise gets quite repetetive at times. I would really like to see metal start using keyboards more. it helps keep the music less stagnant imo

Be specific with what you say, not something that can be said about instrument. We are talking about keyboards done by skilled musicians

So if you hate keyboards, tell us in a non-retarded way why?

For me, it is simple. I think good metal is vicious, hateful, vile, repulsive, and most importantly VIOLENT. It should make you feel the need to take a shower after listening to it. Keyboards not only sound out of place in this setting, but actually detract from the POINT (as do accoustic guitars, clean singing and any wind instruments).

Mike.

The Greys said:
It's because it's Amorphis.

The ex spiritual beggers keyboardist on the new opeth is class. holy 70's

Mikael even sometimes resembles the singer for jethro toll.

Fuck Opeth, but I'm a big fan of Spiritual Beggars, in paticular their magnum opus, Mantra 3. Awesome hard rockery.

The thing is keyboards are associated with shitty/cheesy bands too often. It's the band, not the instrument that's the problem

The Greys said:
Aslong as they are not used in black metal keyboards can be just as effective as any other instrument.
I bet you have never listened Nokturnal Mortum's Lunar Poetry. Do it then see if you can say that again.

immo said:
I bet you have never listened Nokturnal Mortum's Lunar Poetry. Do it then see if you can say that again.

Alternatively you could listen to any black metal album with a SNES game playing at the same volume :loco:

Thoth-Amon said:
No it's because most metalheads are afraid of liking something that isn't "tough and angry" sounding. So they ridicule them.

lawl! :lol: Now I know why most people on this forum hate Power Metal. I might actually sig this.