Why are keyboards in metal so hated?

Thoth-Amon said:
Actually Principle was the album I was thinking of when I wrote about "cheesy keyboards"... :lol: . But honestly I think that's a good album. Their best keyboards however were in Cruelty... didn't sound as plastic as their other albums.

well the keyboards used in principle were really old, outdated models, that sound like casio now. I think midian of nymphetamine show more updated keyboards sounding a lot more authentic. these days keyboards like the korg triton (and soon oasys) yamaha motif, roland fantom, and kurzweil k2600 produce some very convincing sounds of strings, orchestras, and all that other shit.

just you wait when more bands start using the korg oasys. that shit has some unreal sounding stuff.

and anyways about stuff sounding too "fake and electronic", an electric guitar is basically a fake acoustic guitar... so what?

Thoth-Amon said:
The keys are more authentic sounding and more atmospheric on Cruelty than on the first 3.

yeh it is good hey
definately adds to the song and as you say atmospheric
Damn now you've gotten me into the cruelty album all over again :kickass:

Entropiastrife said:
well the keyboards used in principle were really old, outdated models, that sound like casio now. I think midian of nymphetamine show more updated keyboards sounding a lot more authentic. these days keyboards like the korg triton (and soon oasys) yamaha motif, roland fantom, and kurzweil k2600 produce some very convincing sounds of strings, orchestras, and all that other shit.

just you wait when more bands start using the korg oasys. that shit has some unreal sounding stuff.

and anyways about stuff sounding too "fake and electronic", an electric guitar is basically a fake acoustic guitar... so what?

although i like the older souding keys on principal, it adds to teh rawness of it all...as i said in my above post the keys on cruelty are definately atmospheric and they do sound more authentic

Danallica said:
yeh it is good hey
definately adds to the song and as you say atmospheric
Damn now you've gotten me into the cruelty album all over again :kickass:
Yeah it's a good one.

Keyboards in metal are often sooooooooooooo badly done, it's just not funny. Mostly they are used to simulate "orchestral" sections, except that even more expensive keyboards don't simulate the real instruments very well, and it just comes off as sounding very cheap indeed.

They also tend to wash over the sound in a particularly cheesy manner - the only keyboard sounds I really enjoy are the sound of the authentic Hammond organ - that particular Deep Purple sound that just adds that great notion of authentic 70s rock to whatever it touches. There are some great keyboard sections on the latest Spiritual Beggars album.

Most keyboards just make songs sound like incidental music from 70's Dr Who episodes.

Orchestral choirs and the like are alright, if they are kept buried deep in the mix. Keyboards should be mainly used for atmosphere

Tasteful keyboards -

Esoteric
Pestilence in "Spheres"
Burzum (besides the ambient albums)
Negura Bunget
Ras Algethi
Summoning (usually)

Distasteful Keyboards -
Emperor
Children Of Bodom + 100 Finnish bands
Dream Theater
Samael (sometimes)
Nokturnal Mortem

Thoth-Amon said:
No it's because most metalheads are afraid of liking something that isn't "tough and angry" sounding. So they ridicule them.

youre a pretentious dick

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
Most keyboards sound too artificial. It's acceptable when used for intros and interludes, but when you have synthesized strings screeching throughout your entire album it gets annoying (COF, Dimmu, Emperor). I do enjoy "primitive" keyboard instruments such as piano, organ (especially the godly Hammond B3), mellotron, harpsichord, and even old Moog synths, as they all have a unique sound as a real instrument should. Playing a sample of an orchestra and manipulating the tone and pitch sounds like shit.

That is pretty much word for word why I generally don't like keyboards either. And I agree with the second part too. Piano and hammond organs can sound beautiful and really enhance the music because they have an organic and dynamic sound. A cheap Casio keyboard does not and often completely ruins the otherwise good atmosphere of a song.

I'm in the 10% that likes them...but it definitely dependson the band. Vanden Plas, Dream Theater, Nightwish, Evergrey...COB...Kalmah...lots of great use. But if a band doesn't know how to incorporate them right, with the right sound, it's pretty annoying.

Warmen is pretty annoying (I think that's the band with COB's keyboarder?)

Scott