Why are keyboards in metal so hated?

Entropiastrife said:
I find that its pretty like 80% of metalheads who hate keyboards in metal, 10% dont care and only like 10% actually enjoy them. Why is this? Other than saying they are "gay". Can we have an actual reason? They are the most versitile instrument in terms of the tones you can get and work in pretty much every style of music. I find they can always bring an extra element to the music and make it more interesting. It makes everything sound more powerful and full, and takes the music places you cant with the basics. true sometimes they are done wrong and sound cheesy, but that is the same with every instrument. People say it sounds like videogame music.... is that a bad thing? videogames have sweet, evil music usually. Like fucking most boss battles. To me keyboards breathe new life to a music form that otherwise gets quite repetetive at times. I would really like to see metal start using keyboards more. it helps keep the music less stagnant imo

Be specific with what you say, not something that can be said about instrument. We are talking about keyboards done by skilled musicians

So if you hate keyboards, tell us in a non-retarded way why?
I can appreciate keyboards if they are tastefully layered into heavy music in correct spots. Only certain projects have achieved that. I'd say that Emperor circa Anthems would be a good example of Ihsahn using a single keyboard track in the studio to create a particular atmosphere without sacrificing the raw nature of "metal" sound. Bands like Dimmu Borgir just overblow it and fuck it up in the process.

The Greys said:
Aslong as they are not used in black metal keyboards can be just as effective as any other instrument.
Keyboards are MUCH more fitting in black metal than they are in death metal. Symphonic black metal bands as well as atmospheric black metal bands can often use keyboards very effectively. Good examples are Nokturnal Mortum, Burzum, Graveland, Inchiuvatu, Drudkh, etc. In black metal, as with any kind of metal, there is more that keyboards do not fit with than they do.

I reckon Children of Bodom use their Keyboards pretty damn well.... and yeah, they sound good in black metal but not in death metal... Actually to be truthful I don't know any deathmetal bands that use keyboards. I think they work better in black metal because it doesn't have a sense of toughness and anger like in death metal... black metals sorta more like um. I don't know. Can't explain it. But for example, CoF uses keyboards in most songs but they aren't necessarily heavy... I mean look at Nymphetamine Fix. And as for death metal, I don't think you can actually have death metal that isn't heavy... unless its like Melodic Death or something.

Mr Genvin said:
I reckon Children of Bodom use their Keyboards pretty damn well.... and yeah, they sound good in black metal but not in death metal... Actually to be truthful I don't know any deathmetal bands that use keyboards. I think they work better in black metal because it doesn't have a sense of toughness and anger like in death metal... black metals sorta more like um. I don't know. Can't explain it. But for example, CoF uses keyboards in most songs but they aren't necessarily heavy... I mean look at Nymphetamine Fix. And as for death metal, I don't think you can actually have death metal that isn't heavy... unless its like Melodic Death or something.
Children of Bodom SUCK

CRADLE OF FILTH ISN'T BLACK METAL YOU FUCKING PUSSY FAGGOTS AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!
emotargh5fo.gif
emotargh5fo.gif
emotargh5fo.gif

Symphonic Black = Best music about in my opinion.
Suppose using keyboards isn't true or traditional enough for some people.

Spectacular Views said:
CRADLE OF FILTH ISN'T BLACK METAL YOU FUCKING PUSSY FAGGOTS AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!
emotargh5fo.gif
emotargh5fo.gif
emotargh5fo.gif

Not now perhaps, but they certainly used to be

anyone got any links tp music of their very first albums?
Gilded cunt was an old song I heard, not sure how old tho.

Bryn said:
anyone got any links tp music of their very first albums?
Gilded cunt was an old song I heard, not sure how old tho.

Gilded Cunt is on their latest release

Bryn said:
Symphonic Black = Best music about in my opinion.
Suppose using keyboards isn't true or traditional enough for some people.

Keyboards and piano's are traditional...... just not when used in black metal.

My own personal point of view is that - ok - all of the tracks in a production have to be great if you want a great final product. Arranging, songwriting first, then tracking, then mixing, then finally mastering.

If you think "great songwriting" you'll probably have a good rhythm section foundation (drums and bass), a great guitar harmony, riffs and parts and a cool, expressive, intense vocal melodic line.

Now..think keyboards..you have to ram them into a great songwriting..it's easy to think why they get hated so much: because 1) it's easier to screw up a great songwriting than to add something to it (whatever you're adding to it, be it keyboards or whatever else) than to improve it and 2) adding stuff over stuff makes it harder to keep things simple and effective.

So bottom line is, keyboard lines might often be things you add at a later time or get less "priority" in the band than the strong kick+snare+bass+guitar riff and vocal line thing. So anything stupid, lame, useless, etc. MUST BE HATED :) with all your heart.

..but if you add something MORE to even an already-great songwriting, keyboards are LOVED, instead of hated..because they add so much three-dimensional stuff to the arrange.

It's not about hatred or useless xenophobia..

it's more about ..you have to hate stuff that is added by the pound and gives nothing to music..keyboardists tend to be that way.

Ssscrew them! *and I am a keyboardist*

PS: I know my examples starts from thinking keyboards are not the foundation of a great songwriting..they can be, they often are, too...but if I took some song or arranging where keyboards are the foundation..I doubt they'll get hated..so for the sake of the topic..I just took a very frequent situation, since we're talking about metal keyboards..I assumed BIG GUITAR SOUND >)

I think that Mystifier, Sigh, and Graveland all did some pretty good stuff with Keyboards.

Mortem from peru has used them very little in some of their songs and it works pretty well.
It sorta worked with Amorphis during the Black Water Day era.