killswitch engage

shark22 said:
These guys are way more testosterone driven than Opeth ever was, no offesnse to Opeth.

Thus the badly thought out music, ear-destroying (and not in the good way) vocals, and cheap guitar riffs. Not to mention the lame lyrical content.

opeth thought for a bit before committing to recording anything.

"Why can't you see that I try
When every tear I shed is for you?"

Yeah but you have to look at it in context.

i think you people disect music way too much. who cares if its simple, maybe a little unoriginal with lame lyrics? it doesnt really bother me, because i enjoy the end product. most of the time you cant even understand the lyrics so dont complain about them being cheesy unless your going to look up all the lyrics and judge an album on that. the singing (both singers) is superb, the riffs are skillful and well put together. just because something doesnt have a million complexities doesnt mean it CANT be good.

biggsy said:
i think you people disect music way too much. who cares if its simple, maybe a little unoriginal with lame lyrics? it doesnt really bother me, because i enjoy the end product. most of the time you cant even understand the lyrics so dont complain about them being cheesy unless your going to look up all the lyrics and judge an album on that. the singing (both singers) is superb, the riffs are skillful and well put together. just because something doesnt have a million complexities doesnt mean it CANT be good.
No, it's just that some people like their music to be a little deeper.

Most people hate KsE because they are categorised with other hardcore / metalcore, and they should be with their newest album, but AOJB was a fantastic album with definitely the best metalcore vocals ever. Give it a chance, but make sure you're out of the frame of mind of "oh I'll listen to it but I don't expect it to be good", because you will be convincing yourself that it isn't, instead of actually listening to it.

^^^I agree with the above poster, AOJB was an amazing metalcore record. The newer one was a lot more bland and insipid, but not as bad as a lot of other metalcore bands (maybe because i have a soft spot for KSE hehe). I just see KSE as a fun, catchy, and solid metalcore band.

I agree about needing music to be complicated to enjoy it, thats just foolish. I don't really know much about the band in question, but I can enjoy one long long chord or note for 20 minutes with lots of atmosphere as much as a 666BPM thrashing guitar solo, as long as each of those suits the song. I don't really see lack of technical skill as a reason to hate a band, if the kind of structure they uses gets across whatever they are trying to say then fair enough I think.

WOAH! I just caught onto this thread! Why the hell is the blasphemous name of KSE even mentioned on the Opeth forum? Dammit. I'll admit, I used to like them, but after a few listens, I noticed something. Why the hell are the same riffs repeated over and over and over again in every single song? What is this, pop music? For Christ's sakes don't mention these tardstains on this forum. Notice how there is only 1 or 2 guitar solos in any of their songs, and how the solos suck and are only, like, 5-10 seconds long. Metalcore is garbage. Go check that other thread for enlightenment. I care about talent. KSE doesn't influence me in any way, and probably cannot. Maybe if they make a song longer than 5 minutes that actually has different riffs I'll like them better. Please don't flame me. I'm just the kind of person that likes talent and looks for new and unique bands. KSE sounds like many other metalcore bands. Maybe not exactly, but there are definite similarities.

Damn, this has to be one of the longest posts I've ever made. The weird thing is, I'm sick. Maybe sick people focus better? Conduct a test! :)

My main argument againt KSE and similar bands are their lack of meaning in the world of music. They have not broken any ground, done anything better than any other band, nor have they influenced other bands to be like them. They sound like every other Mallcore band before them, which is NOT something that will stick around. Just like Kelly Clarkson is dead to the public eye, so too will these guys be in a year or so. Bands that were revolutionary, new, original or simply better than everyone else are bands such as The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Wintersun, Symphony X, Nile, 3 Inches of Blood, Slayer, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Amon Amarth, Bathory, Behemoth, Emperor, and, yes, Opeth.

Why you were foolish and flamboyant enough to post a KSE discussion thread in an Opeth board is beyond me, and making a direct comparison between the two bands is lunacy, plain and simple. Please go back to slitting your wrists and crying in the mall with your friends. Thank you.

Well I guess that I will be honest here. I do feel the need to say something to the person that bashed me pretty good. I dont think taht you need to judge me for what my opinion is. I have an opinion and that is that. I hope that you will realize that I am into all the music that you so have mentioned. I have a great job and that is besides the point. I do not need to prove anything to anyone. I just feel that KSE are vrey good and I like them so. And this is my first time at a forum to discuss music and if I knew that a lot of people didn't like KSE then I would not have joined this forum. Thankyou guys!

The Grim Progeny of the Dusk said:
...I am a bassist for two bands of very different genres, and the leader/vocalist for one of those bands. One is a Melodic Folk Metal band based around Greek myth, and the other is a mellow, Alternative band that I am bassing for as a side project. If I didn't know musical talent, I wouldn't have recruited the keyboardist for my Folk band. He could put Per to shame, trust me - the guy is absolutely awe-inspiring.

If you have something recorded, I'd love to hear it.

...KSE is simplistic in their musicianship. Their song structure is generic and repetitive. Their vocals are a schizophrenic mix of half-assed screamo shouts and fair vocals that do not blend well.

True.

...Their lyrics are false and unmeaningful, designed to attract confused, adolescent girls such as yourself ...Please, leave this thread, leave this board, and, while you're at it, leave UM. We need no more Nu-Metal punks such as yourself.

Bwahahahaha! Pwned.
And damn, I'm a girl too.

...and listen metal such as Behemoth, Opeth, Nile, Cryptopsy, Death, Wintersun, Empyrium, Agalloch, and Amon Amarth. Then compare it to your current tastes. .

Fact, you have -indeed- nice taste in music.

:headbang:

This is one of those "4-page-long-before-i-get-to-read-it" threads.. and hence cannot be bothered reading it.. but yeah, I've never even heard Killswitch Engage.. so won't say anything bad or good about them.

On another note, Mike's vocals on this Roads track are good. I don't even mind the song. At all.

Who cares what elitists have to say anyways, they limit themselves to only "technical" music. They also believe they are setting the standard for what music should and should not be, which is funny, so smile a little.:)

I went through a short KSE phase a few years back. Why did I ever leave that phase? Because I got bored with the music. The songs have zilch for lyrics (maybe ten lines repeated over and over again) and the beats all seemed to bleed together and sound like one puddle of audio-diarrhea.

I also saw KSE live this summer with In Flames: they sucked, typical 'can't-scream-over-the-monotonous-low-toned-guitar-beats-and-baselines.'