kinda funny actually

May 9, 2003
I was just on the message boards at gamefaqs looking at posts. I found one for metal music and was reading threads and a guy posted some bands and what genre they were. They mentioned SX and called them doom metal or something. I saw someone respond named arglebargle (i think the same guy who posts here) and he didn't put the facts straight. I am not joining the board just to make my point but thought it was just kinda funny.....lol....lol.....lol............ehhh. Just glad to be back here with better, informed, more intelligent ppl!

OfSinsAndShred said:
SX doom metal? WTF could you base that on? Hahaha...

SX is soooo DOOM METAL. On songs like The Acolyte, all Russel Allen does is GROWL while romeo hits his dropped-C guitar wildly to the beat of nonstop double bass playing. I think they say the F word too.

Haha. I used to go to GameFaqs. It was much better before they split the Metal & Punk board...

I got banned from there...

Me and ArgleBargle were the Symphony X fanboys there. Well, towards the end Argle got more into Vanden Plas, but oh well...

I remember arglebargle here but does he not come here anymore or something? Yeah those guys on the gamefaqs metal boards are pretty uninformed about thier music. They were calling Sonata Arctica and Rhapsody power metal as well and thought they sounded the same as well. I think of the two as epic metal but can at least see a little significance in thinking they are power (nothing like thinking SX is doom). They also think all power metal is fantasy based and prob is the reason they think the two groups are power.

SymphonyXJapan, I told the guy that Symphony X was not doom metal. Lol, that's a good one... doom metal?! WTF. Never heard Symphony X called that. There are quite a few boneheads on that board, and lots of power/prog dislike. :(

Actually, I post here a lot more than GFaqs, as the GFaqs board has turned into poo. I think this board is far more intelligent, and my tastes are more similar to others on this board.

underullospell said:
WTH(ell).. does that mean?:ill: (Doom Metal)??????

Never even heard of that one.:loco::D

Doom metal usually reffers to metal thats very slow and sludgy and possibly gothic. Black Sabbath are usually considered the originators of the genre. I know I've heard this band Candlemass are considered *the* best of the current doom metal bands (but I wouldnt know since I dont listen to Doom Metal :p)

Death metal is faster and more technical than doom, with faster drumwork (often blastbeats) and brutal rhythms.

Doom metal is the slowest of the metal genres, with sludgy riffs and more importance placed on "vibe" than on technicality.

Death and doom are very different genres.

anglebargle, but certainly doom is one of the heaviest around, right? For example, with your description I would take meshuggah as a prog doom band.

@Avathar - Therion is NOTHING like doom metal. The early ones were death and the rescent ones are symphonic prog.

Theather of Tragedy's first two can be rather calld doom metal.

Doom is one of the more confusing genres because the definition has either changed or expanded...originally referred to slow and decidedly heavy dirge-like compositions, it is now often used to refer to metal that attempts to express feelings of overwhelming sadness through both music, which still but not always matches the aforementioned description, and lyrics...

ElPredicador said:
anglebargle, but certainly doom is one of the heaviest around, right? For example, with your description I would take meshuggah as a prog doom band.

Well, "heavy" is such a subjective term. What is heavy? What is the heaviest form of metal? It depends on the person, I guess. And I wouldn't call Meshuggah prog doom because they're not sludgy enough to be doom. Prog-thrash, maybe? I dunno, it's hard to classify Meshuggah, and I haven't heard too much by them.

Meshuggah = "Progressive, Technical thrash/death metal with jazz/fusion lead pyrotechniques"

Nah, seriously, they're nowhere near Doom.

Whenever I hear the doom metal genre mentioned, I get flashbacks of playing Doom in 1993 and blasting through hell with a shotgun.