Question About Twilight in Olympus

The Yngster

Jun 7, 2002
New York, USA
Visit site
Its one of the only SX albums I don't own, and I was just wondering why its barely talked about on these boards. Was it not as good as their other albums, or do people just not want to talk about it for whatever reason?

Originally posted by The Yngster
Its one of the only SX albums I don't own, and I was just wondering why its barely talked about on these boards. Was it not as good as their other albums, or do people just not want to talk about it for whatever reason?

I don't wanna talk about. It's way too painful for me to talk about it... :cry:

Just kidding, hehe
Great album, excellent tracks like In The Dragon's Den, COTM, Lady Of The Snow. Nothing bad about it, it's in the same league as TWODT,The Damnation Game, V.
Get it as soon as possible

Twilight is an amazing album... I think the quality of the material is on par with Divine Wings... the only weakness of this album is that it's shorter... 52 min.

In my opinion, Twilight in Olympus is the 2nd best SyX album!!! :) I own it, and, it was my 1st SyX CD... hehehe... well, my prefered tracks are "Smoke and Mirrors", "Thru the Lookin' Glass", "Orion - The Hunter", "The Relic" and "Lady of the Snow". The brazilian version of Twilight in Olympus comes with a bonus track, which is "Masquerade '98"... hehehe!!!

Hi. I think my perspective on this matter will be somewhat different because of the TIMING at which I became a fan. It happened like this:

1.Heard guitar solo on Analog Kid - said, "must look into this "Symphony X"
2.Obtained recording of DWOT (the song) - said, "Holy $#!+, must go buy ALL SyX material available ASAP!"
3.Called record store, ordered albums, was told DWOT out of stock but would you like to pre order their new one? (TIO) - said, "YES!" The rest is history...

My point is that at my first hearing of TIO, the only stuff I had to compare it to was Damnation Game and DWOT (the song) Consequently I was of the opinion that they had made a GREAT leap forward! I even preferred (though I have now seen the light) the new drummer. I now realize that though he was really good, the only reason I preferred him was because the drums were mixed MUCH better IMO. Which leads me to disagree with a previous comment about TIO's production. I think it's Excellent! Perhaps not as good as V, but certainly better than the previous albums. Though I will say that Mike's guitar sound became a little more standard than his EXTREMELY unique tones on DWOT.

The only thing it doesn't have over DWOT, is DWOT (the song!) I think that if the band had been able to finish the Epic title track and put on the album TIO would have been considered by fans to be as good or better than its predecessor.

Please do yourself a favor and get this album! Smoke and Mirrors, Church of the Machine, Through the Looking Glass and Lady of the Snow are ALL among my Favorite SyX tunes EVER! And the rest of the album isn't far behind.

Also this is the last album recorded with Thomas Miller, who is one of my all time favorite Bassists, besides being INCREDIBLY lyrical in his playing style, he's also and EXCELLENT lyricist.

Need more convincing...listen to the live version of Through the Looking Glass (in my opinion one of the Greatest LIVE recordings of ANY song by ANY band!) just try and tell me that came from a sub-par album. No SIR!

Paul.

Epilogue, after a few months I finally got my copy of DWOT (the album) and realized what all the fuss was about. A true masterpiece, but I still love TIO just as much...and so I lived happily ever after...with that happiness increasing with every SyX release! The end.

Well, it's not quite as heavy as TDWoT, but in some ways there's more musicality to it.

I think some people don't see it as high as Divine Wings just because it's shorter and stuff. Well, I would like to hear more, but the fact is what they have there is awesome.

My favorites from it, if anyone cares, are Smoke and Mirrors, Church of the MAchine, and Orion - The Hunter ... all 3 kick major ass.

Cyaron

Originally posted by Cyaron
Well, it's not quite as heavy as TDWoT, but in some ways there's more musicality to it.

Is musicality a word? :err: Oh well, I get what your saying, and I'm sure it rules as all other SX albums do. I was just curious because people never talk about it as much as albums like V, DWOT, or Damnation Game.

Yep, it's a word all right :)

Anyway, I'm surprised that TDG seems to be discussed more than TiO ... but it makes sense to me that the others are, as V is their newest (for a couple more weeks at least), and IMO their best ... and Divine Wings was the first one that had a lot of people going "Whoa, dude ... listen to THESE guys!". I would also say that Divine Wings is a little more metal oriented, and so a lot of people will prefer it because of that.

Maybe TDG is talked abotu a bit more because a lot of people first heard about THAT one, as opposed to the debut or TDWoT. Still, I think TiO is great, and it does seem a bit strange that it wouldn't be brought up at least as much as TDG.

Maybe some people were just a bit disappointed in TiO's length (7 "real" songs + an interlude) or slight reduction of TDWoT's shredding and didn't feel the need to discuss it as much? Nevertheless, it rules.

Anyway, Ceool8r

Cyaron

Heh, believe it or not, I think that post was actually kinda funny.

What are you, like 13 years old?

Hehe...

Anyway, yes, TiO is great ... for whatever reason you felt like saying it like THAT...

Okay, I'll shut the fuck up now, if it means so much to you. :)

Cyaron

Heh, believe it or not, I think that post was actually kinda funny.

What are you, like 13 years old?

Hehe...

Anyway, yes, TiO is great.

Okay, I'll shut the fuck up now, if it means so much to you. :)

Cyaron

:lol: That post really wasn't to you buddy. I laugh when some dudes here get so pissed off when I say I don't like V. That post was meant to be little childish.:D as childish as those who can't stand when someone don't like V. But I don't give a shit of those opinion.:D

Well, sorry I didn't understand that at first. I will admit to being very confused as to why someone wouldn't like V ... but it's not like arguing about it will CHANGE your opinion.

I take it people have been giving you serious shit about it? Heh...

Cyaron

I think that Twilight in olympus is simply amazing, there are a lot of powerful songs such as In the dragon's den ,the relic and smoke and mirrors,it's really a good album, get it as soon as possible

Well, sorry I didn't understand that at first. I will admit to being very confused as to why someone wouldn't like V ... but it's not like arguing about it will CHANGE your opinion.

I take it people have been giving you serious shit about it? Heh...

Cyaron

Exactly