Krank Rev Jr clips (quick mic vs impulse)

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
I got my Krank today. I friggin love it. I didn't post this in the rate my mix thread because I'm not really concerned with how the mix sounds (I know it's rough) but I just wanted to demonstrate how quickly I was able to get a usable tone with this little guy. Most of it had to do with sheer luck I'm sure, but I'm pretty stoked anyway. I know the amp is capable of much better tones if I spend some time with it, but I just want to share what I stumbled across within about 10 minutes of pulling the amp out of the box.

I'm posting two clips. One with impulses, one mic'd. For shits and giggle's, I won't say which is which just yet. It probably won't be hard to tell, but let's see what happens.

Signal chain: ESP LTD MH-250NT with EMG 85 > Tube Screamer > Boss NS-2 > Krank Rev Jr > Marshall 1960B (straight) cab with stock celestions, one sm57 on axis and one audix i5 off axis > Allen Heath mixwizard wz3 16:2 (no EQ) > firepod.

The line out out was recorded simultaneously with the mic'd tracks, so the performances are the same on both clips. The impulse tracks were left alone, on the mic'd tracks I used Andy's C4 preset I found here, and a touch of subtle EQ.

The interesting thing about the mic positions is that I set them up two nights ago, before I even had the amp. I guess I was just getting excited and wanted to get a headstart, so I put the mics up where they LOOKED like they'd work well so I could fine tune their placement later. When I got the amp today, I just plugged it in, tweaked the knob for a couple minutes, adjusted the gain on the mic channels and recorded this. I didn't touch the mics at all. No apparent phase issues. Granted it's not the greatest tone ever, but for my first time micing a cab in like 3 years, and placing them without having an amp present, I think I got pretty lucky. I can't wait to start diving in with this thing and getting serious.

I included the impulse version mainly to fulfill a request. Enough rambling, here's the clips:

krank test 1

krank test 2

They both have a fucking awesome grind, though both are too dark and have too much off-axis cloud for my tastes; however, Krank Test 2 is definitely my favorite of the two. Great bass on the tones as well! Though I wonder if a lot of that mud isn't coming from the EMG 85 you're using :erk: Sweet fucking riffing too man, really tight! I love that snare too; could it perhaps be the Devildriver snare? ;)

Sounds good!

What were your settings on the rev jr?

Right now I have the sweep at 11:00, bass at 1:00, mids at 4:00, treble at 3:00, and gain at 12:00. I actually had the volume quite a bit lower than normal recording volume in order not yet to bug anyone, but for my next test I plan to open it up quite a bit.

They both have a fucking awesome grind, though both are too dark and have too much off-axis cloud for my tastes; however, Krank Test 2 is definitely my favorite of the two. Great bass on the tones as well! Though I wonder if a lot of that mud isn't coming from the EMG 85 you're using :erk: Sweet fucking riffing too man, really tight! I love that snare too; could it perhaps be the Devildriver snare? ;)

I definitely think the mud is from the 85. My 7 string with stock passive pups sounded much clearer, but didn't have any balls. My friend is gonna send me an 81 from a guitar I let him borrow, so I'm going to throw that in the ESP before I start getting busy with tone exploration. I'm going to have to get used to how responsive real amps are to pickups and hardware again. With the Pod, the tube screamer didn't make half the difference that it does with the krank, and switching guitars didn't make nearly as big a difference. Getting the krank is like taking a blindfold off.

Thanks for the compliments, though! All the drums are just DFH, besides the kick, which has been supplemented with a sample via battery. I just processed the snare to hell and back, heh.

yeah the tones dark, but a shit load different to the tones i get from it! your settings are nuts!!!!

for some reason i prefer the tone from test 1, caus its something i cant ever seem to find my self getting, or im happy with as a player for my own tone, tone 2 has more of the top end i prefer.

Glad your liking the amp man, and welcome to the club :D more people to trade settings with!!!!:kickass:

Are the speakers in your 1960B the stock G12T-75s?? Or Vintage 30s by chance??

I'll listen when I get home - my stupid work firewall blocks anything good! I'm very interested in hearing these.

-Joe

Whoah, cool riffage and tone man. I can't tell which is the impulse, they both sound good IMO actually...but if I had to guess I would say the 1st one is impulse? I dunno...

I think the main reason I haven't made any clips of mine yet is I fiddle with the settings on the damn thing all the time. I really can't ever settle on any one setting so far. It doesn't help that I use 3-5 different guitars through it randomly so I'm changing the settings for that PLUS multiple times when jamming out with any one particular guitar. That sweep knob fucks me up :lol: I'm extremely impressed with the huge range of sounds you can get out of the Krank with the sweep knob it's like adding another dimension to the tone options. I just need to settle for something...

I usually have the sweep at like (clock face) 1-3:30, I find anything closer to 12 or less is usually really woofy and dark, with bass/mid/treb at 1-2/10-12/1-3, the gain usually stays around 12, this little thing is a beast! Tonight is the last show with my band that I will be playing bass. After tonight I'm moving to guitar and the Rev Jr.+Mesa 4x12 will hopefully be the live rig :D

~006

I just need to settle for something...

Hah! Good luck with that! How many lucky bastards ever settle on a certain tone? It never ends! It's a great thing to have a multi dimensional amp. The sweep knob is my favorite part and ultimately the reason I went for the Krank. It's kind of like a character adjuster or something. Loving it.

You guys suck! I really want one of the 50 watters. $699 is a great price.

-Joe

yeah id like to get one too!!! i was torn between the rev jr and pro b4 getting just the rev jr (as its for studio use anyway) but i love the sound, and the pro version was just a bit too weak when turned up, as it naturally compresses a shitload, so the pro 50 would be a killer buy!

i still want a peavey though :D

but will probs end up getting a bugera before that!

50w kinda defeats the purpose that these little guys were originally intended for. It's getting to the point where it's just going to be a half wattage Rev, just like there are 50w and 100w Marshalls of the same series, etc. Besides, these things are LOUD. I can't stress that enough. A lot of people miss the fact that even though it's 20w it can still get extremely loud, not even all the way up either. The advantage of a low wattage tube amp is you can crank it up and it gets you that sound a lot easier than trying to push a 100w tube amp's power section to the same point. I love this little amp, and still want the full size 120w one myself :)

~006

50w kinda defeats the purpose that these little guys were originally intended for. It's getting to the point where it's just going to be a half wattage Rev, just like there are 50w and 100w Marshalls of the same series, etc. Besides, these things are LOUD. I can't stress that enough. A lot of people miss the fact that even though it's 20w it can still get extremely loud, not even all the way up either. The advantage of a low wattage tube amp is you can crank it up and it gets you that sound a lot easier than trying to push a 100w tube amp's power section to the same point. I love this little amp, and still want the full size 120w one myself :)

~006

I'm well aware of how loud little tube amps are and the advantages of using one in an environment where they would be friendlier. The Tiny Terror I had was bitchin' loud!

I'd get the 50 watter so I can take advantage of the extra headroom if I want to jam out with my friends. I'm sure it still sounds great at low volume too. I'd rather have a bit extra volume and headroom than have it compress early and *almost* be loud enough for me.

I only really crank my amps when no one is home. I regularly crank a 50 watt Plexi (house shakingly loud) and a JCM 800 (house shifting from it's foundation loud) so it's really not an issue for me, haha.

-Joe

And speaking of that JCM800, and how you haven't made any clips yet Joseph ;)

And as for this test, I think it's kinda pointless to try to judge which is the impulse and which is the mic'ed cab since the positions when the impulse was made and the cab are obviously so different. Cool to hear two different varieties of tonez though!

And speaking of that JCM800, and how you haven't made any clips yet Joseph ;)

And as for this test, I think it's kinda pointless to try to judge which is the impulse and which is the mic'ed cab since the positions when the impulse was made and the cab are obviously so different. Cool to hear two different varieties of tonez though!

Yoyo dude,

I've made a clip here and there but nothing worth posting yet really! I do think, however, that I have the mic position where I want it right now.

I'm gonna shoot for this weekend with the clips. I'm gonna grab another mic stand (loaned my other to a friend) and do a ribbon/SM57 combination.

-Joe