Krankenstein + 5150 / V30 and G12T75

Radd

Self Portrait
Jul 19, 2005
NJ
www.soundclick.com
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/21972-beginningofsong1.mp3

This is the same song I've been working off and on (mainly off) for the past 3 years and it's not even anything great. Its a rough mix. Not looking for critiquing just yet though I am curious what people think about the guitars and bass.
There is to much fizz going on still which I need to try to control and there may be to much gain. I'll probably reamp everything.

2 V30's and 2 G12T75's in an X pattern in a Stein cab. Quad tracked. 5150 to V30, stein to G12T75. Both 100% L and 100% R. AT4040 for all. There is a Weber Mass on the 5150 but not the stein. Maxon 808 and ISP Decimator. In addition, I decided to track all gtrs with an MXR Supercomp for the hell of it. Gtrs bussed to C4. I think I hear some pumping. Bass is Sansamp Bass Driver and DI.

Yikes, guitars are definitely WAY too fizzy, and perhaps the LDC is to blame in that respect - pretty cool though dude, I dig the symphonic black metal vibe of the first riff, though I might suggest that the second groovy riff is a bit "stock" (as Metallica would say). As for the tone, perhaps try a good ol' 57 rather than the AT4040? And I do hear a bit of pumping, but it's not that bad.

Yikes, guitars are definitely WAY too fizzy, and perhaps the LDC is to blame in that respect - pretty cool though dude, I dig the symphonic black metal vibe of the first riff, though I might suggest that the second groovy riff is a bit "stock" (as Metallica would say). As for the tone, perhaps try a good ol' 57 rather than the AT4040? And I do hear a bit of pumping, but it's not that bad.

I agree with everything you said MT. Guitars are way to fizzy. I attempted a quick low pass but I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to that still. I'll try the 57.
Yeah, that 2nd "stock" riff is a bit boring but I'm hoping vocals over it will make it turn out fine. I'm not sure what to do with that riff. I don't really want to make any major changes as I do like it but I can't think of any subtle changes that would improve it greatly.
I'm guessing that the Supercomp is adding to the pumping and will leave that pedal out when I reamp.

I agree with everything you said MT. Guitars are way to fizzy. I attempted a quick low pass but I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to that still. I'll try the 57.
Yeah, that 2nd "stock" riff is a bit boring but I'm hoping vocals over it will make it turn out fine. I'm not sure what to do with that riff. I don't really want to make any major changes as I do like it but I can't think of any subtle changes that would improve it greatly.
I'm guessing that the Supercomp is adding to the pumping and will leave that pedal out when I reamp.

I'd definitely remove the Supercomp of the signal chain.

I agree on the second riff.

And yeah guitars are fizzy... but before trying to reamp it and use a 57 i'd suggest you to mess up with the low-pass a bit more, that could solve your problem, since guitars and the mix in general are not that bad, there's just too much fizz on the guitars that's it.

I like the beginning of the song (first riff with blast beats).

Try slapping a low pass on at about 12khz, and keep dropping the frequency till you start to lose the fizz, but not too much definition.

I'd definitely remove the Supercomp of the signal chain.

I agree on the second riff.

And yeah guitars are fizzy... but before trying to reamp it and use a 57 i'd suggest you to mess up with the low-pass a bit more, that could solve your problem, since guitars and the mix in general are not that bad, there's just too much fizz on the guitars that's it.

I like the beginning of the song (first riff with blast beats).

Yeah, I'll try the low-pass some more.

I tracked the guitars with the Supercomp with the intent to reamp anyway so I can try various combinations of mics, positions, speakers ect. and then use the best ones. I'm gonna try not to let my laziness get me and just low-pass and say "good enough" though that set up may end up being the one I use in the end anyway, we'll see.

Thanks for the feedback!