Lamentations

FUBAR

Sep 19, 2004
UK
I just saw the DVD again and I thought I'd post a few of my thoughts;

- Has anyone noticed that sometimes Mike looks a bit like Dave Grohl and when he speaks he sometimes sounds like David Blaine. :err:

- I think that the extended live version of Closure is way better than the recorded version.

- Per is a excellent singer check out his back ups on 'Harvest'.

Ok I've also got some questions;
1. What is the intro music to both sets?
2. Why does Mike describe 'Ending Credits' as a naive track?

I didn't really like the live version of Closure as much. The part that followed what they added is my favorite part on the album and it just killed me to have to wait so damn long to hear it :erk: . I would also like to point out that it's extended for the sole purpose of allowing Mike to switch guitars.

Well Fubar, I loved that extended version, it was really nice.
I don't know who the hell is David Blaine and how sounds his voice either...
Per Wiberg's voice is awesome.
\m/

Luz.-

PS: I would love to see them playing alive someday...

FUBAR said:
- Has anyone noticed that sometimes Mike looks a bit like Dave Grohl and when he speaks he sometimes sounds like David Blaine. :err:

I watched my Dream Theater DVD and decided that Mike is a spitting image of John Petrucci, he looks nothing like Grohl!

Luz said:
Well Fubar, I loved that extended version, it was really nice.
I don't know who the hell is David Blaine and how sounds his voice either...
Per Wiberg's voice is awesome.
\m/

Luz.-

david blaine is a crap american magician who recently decided to spend 40 days in a glass box in London. what a retard.

Actually, he did that at the same time as Lamentations was filmed, cause i remember going to laugh at him before going to the gig.

Thank you.
So how was the "Opeth experience" alive?

\m/
Luz.-

ChrisEmerson said:
david blaine is a crap american magician who recently decided to spend 40 days in a glass box in London. what a retard.

Actually, he did that at the same time as Lamentations was filmed, cause i remember going to laugh at him before going to the gig.

deliverance said:
i like that extended version of closure
and ravenous, i don't think it takes mike 3-4 minutes to switch guitairs. if it was for that sole purpose, they would just extend it like 1 min. tops.

Well they had to add more than what was necessary to make that part fit into the song, or else everyone that knows the song would have thought they fucked it up or something.

i still don't think that's why. a lotta bands in concert just have a little added, jam section in a song or 2 to keep it interesting, and different from the studio version, and play it EXACTLY as it appears on the album. which is why they did that, i feel.

Themoor666 said:
actually I downloaded a song by Popul Vuh called "Flying saucer attack" and it sounds exactly like the music playing before the Damnation set on the DVD

Lots of their stuff sounds similar, but the intro song to the Damnation set was "Mantra 2 - Choir"

Luz said:
Thank you.
So how was the "Opeth experience" alive?

\m/
Luz.-

was amazing of course :) i was on the front row for the whole gig, got filmed, got put onto the dvd, and we missed our bus home :( - even though we left before the end (we stood at the back for the cover song they did, and didnt stay for demon of the fall)

but nevermind, it was all worth it.

Luz said:

I know that english isn't your mother thongue (me neither actually), but that one turned out pretty nicely :D

I like the Lamentation's ending to Closure a lot. I like that "camel riding" groove.

I was also at the shephards bsh gig but not quite at the front. It was a very good gig even if a group of fools were shouting 'play some man 'o' war' far too many times.
Its a shame that Demon of the fall was left off the dvd as it was the best version ive heard Opeth do live.

The intro tracks to Opeths set were indeed from Popol Vuh's album "nosferatu" which is actually the soundtrack to Werner Herzog's 70s remake of the film originally by F.W. Murnau and starring Max Shreck from 1922. Both are classics, and the soundtrack by Popol is a must for anyone into progressive rock, or medieval or folk or gothic music.

As for the other question: Mikael calls the track "naive" because its really his tribute to Camel (as its similar to several of their songs in sound, style and composition), not a totally original creation of its own. I find it interesting that he chose those words too, for peter bardens of camel used the same description in regards to their snowgoose album when they wrote it being inspired by the Snowgoose story by Paul Gallico. And so did Deep Purple in regards to their album "concerto for group and orchestra" with the London Symphony Orchestra. :)

Regardless, i think all three band's works were worthy and important.

Yea thanks for the info, I've now downloaded those intro tracks. Popol Vuhs' stuff is so atmospheric and very cinematic, a bit like Opeths music, I guess thats why the band chose it. I wonder if Mike planned to call 'Ending Credits' naive because of that camel influence or maybe it just popped out