Lance King Interview by Doug Van Pelt of HM Magazine

I'm kicking myself...I was still a newbie at PP last year, and had no idea of the connection between Nightmare Records and Lance and Avian and Pyramaze. That was him behind the Nightmare booth, right? Here I was talking to the guy, and not a clue. Dammit....

KingsGene said:
I'm kicking myself...I was still a newbie at PP last year, and had no idea of the connection between Nightmare Records and Lance and Avian and Pyramaze. That was him behind the Nightmare booth, right? Here I was talking to the guy, and not a clue. Dammit....

LOL! He's such a cool guy that you'd never guess that he was this "big star".

MEGALOUD said:
GEE'S GUYS, YOU MAKE ME BLUSH!!!!
WEll Bro, everything we say is the truth:headbang: You are one awesome person, and again i am honored to call you Friend. Can't wait to hang out with you at PPVII.

My friend Alexi in the vendors' room, who attended his first PPUSA last year: "Paul, I gotta say, this is a pretty cool event. There are totally a lot of people here who look like they could be in bands. That guy over there, for example, looks just like Lance King!"

"Uh, Alexi..... That IS Lance King. Really."

"!!!!!"

:D

He won't be missing another ProgPower ever again. :)

KingsGene said:

Yep, he was the big, tall guy with the long hair! :headbang: Lance is very cool to his fans without a doubt. I'm kickin' myself for missing the Queensryche cover at the booth, along with the Avian guitarist! :erk:

Nice interview! Lance does indeed rule.

Yes, seeing Lance's little two song impromptu set in the ProgPower vendor's room was the bomb for me last year. I had passed on going to ProgPower V and therefore missed my chance to see Midnight's famous impromptu set in the hotel. I was determined to go to PP VI and it paid off. This is exactly why people should go to PP - you never know what kind of once-in-a-lifetime experiences you will have! Here's the little review of that set that I put in another thread last year:

"The coolest thing for me this weekend happened in the vendors' room. I happened to be standing near Lance King's (ex-Balance of Power, Pyramaze, Avian) booth when he announced that he and the Avian guitarist (Yan Leviathan) would be doing a quick acoustic, unplugged set. Now, I've been a huge Lance King fan since BoP. Some years later, I learned that he's from Minneapolis, so now I get to go and see his local cover band as well, which is a blast. There was a group of about 15 of us that made a circle for them to play in. Anyway, Lance and Yan played an Avian song. Then another guy took Yan's place on guitar (I think someone said he had been Helstar's guitarist) and they played Queensryche's "Take Hold of the Flame". It was freaking sweet. The music itself was so quiet that I'm sure that no one outside of 40 feet had any clue that it was even happening. When they had the 15 of us singing the "TAKE HOLD!" part of the chorus, everyone else in the vendor room would look over and wonder what the heck was going on. Someone asked for Lance to do a BoP song (Savage Tears, I think) and he said he would if anyone knew the guitar part. No one did :(

Talk about being in the right place at the right time! I was quite happy. Sadly, they had to cut it short at two songs, because Pink Cream 69 was about to start in the main room. While this doesn't quite match up to the lucky people who got to hear Midnight of Crimson Glory do an impromptu acoustic one hour set in the hotel last year, at least I got something special!"

That said, any Avian fans please consider coming to Minnesota for Avian's debut performance! Who knows if/when you will get another chance to see them. This is a special one-off show because Lance lives here and Yan is a HUGE fan of Gamma Ray.

Friday, May 12
@ The Rock in Maplewood, MN:
Gamma Ray
Avian
Ion Vein
Miles Beyond
$25 ADV / $30 DOOR

Both Gamma Ray and Avian will do autograph sessions afterwards.

http://www.myspace.com/gammaraymn

If anyone travels, let me know. We might have some special things happening on the side. If you're making a trip, I'll try to make it special for you ;)