Laney amps

supposedly the new JSX head from peavey is supposed to be tits. satch's signature model. but basically an updated version of the XXX and the 5150 combined with more options/effects/perks. havent tried one though.

affinityband said:
Unfortunatley no. But Opeth used it on deliverance so i guess it sounds like that. It really does infact. Its so meaty and when put it up to like 3 or 4 and stand a fair way back its stupidly clear and very strong in sound. I needed something alternative to a marshall and this thing beats the crap out of it.

Really? The Deliverance rhythm sound, sounds very much like a Rectifier to me.

I've played with a GH100L in the studio and it's dogshit for metal, IMO. I have a hard time believing the rhythm sound on Deliverance was done with one.

Amplifiers: Laney VH100L, Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier with 4/12 Laney cabinet

You were right moonlapse they didn use the gh100l. But they did use the VH100L. Which is pretty much the same i think but with more flexibility. Generally though, the Laney Amps ive tryed that use powervalves all sound pretty similar. And they do have a fantastic tone for £800 with cab I reckon. Still if i was going to go for any metal amp id go for the new ENGL head which is actually a stunning piece of machinery. http://www.engl-amps.com/index2.html
My GH100L actually makes my schecter sound presentable.

Yeah, heard people talking up the new ENGL head. I wonder whether it's from actually having heard it, or just liking ENGL's marketing hype. It does seem to be one big, versatile mofo, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's any good.

I'm still adamant that those rhythms are the rectifier. If anything the vh100l would've been used for leads.

True, But then again im also under the assumption that it is better than the power ball. And i lovve the Powerball.
bein the pro tech monkey you are, id say you are probably right. I mean i was wrong they dont have the GH100L on that album, again i assumed because Mike uses it live n stuff.

Yeah, the Powerball is pretty ass kicking. I've had the pleasure of recording one quite a few times over the last year and a half. And I will once again in about 2 weeks.

They have a fantastic dry, biting sound. Whilst I do preffer the Mesa stuff, the ENGL amps really do have their own character. Also, let's not forget that Still Life was a Powerball. Can't speak ill of an amp used to track one of the best albums ever :D

Anyone have a view on the ENGL tube preamps? I do a lot of quiet practice and recording from emulated cabinet outputs (just for backing tracks for myself) and I'm dead keen to find a studio preamp that's great for metal and cheaper than a Triaxis. I could get a Triaxis but I would have to sell a load of kit that I still want!

Mike said somewhere they use a VH100R...i don't think a VH100L even exists at all. There's GH100L and VH100R, and i'm thinking they used the 2nd one. With boss gt6.

By the way i just stopped by GC and sam ash...they didn't have any laneys or 5150 obviously...but i did try a peavey xxx half stack...and it was SHIT.

it sounds empty and like someone is cutting the amp with a saw. Well, not really, but i didn't like the XXX at all. Is the 5150 anything like it at all?

Tried a marshall JCM800 half stack, was quite happy with it as i was last time i tried one. Nice metal distortion, not great cleans but wtf, they're acceptable. The distortion sounds nice and thick, i like it...

Looked like a jackass playing an expensive as fuck triple rectifier 3/4 stack...yeah, damn, this amp can pretty much do anything...although i didn't find a distinct uniqueness in it...guess you gotta crank it and tweak some, but yeah i doubt i would ever be disappointed if i got it. I dunno though, distortion doesn't sound as meaty as the marshall.

Now that i've said my thoughts on these amps i'm sure you've tried...what would i think of the 5150 or the laney?

Also, i'm definetely not going to end up getting a JSX, i would not want satriani's tone. And engl is way out of my league

affinityband said:
Unfortunatley no. But Opeth used it on deliverance so i guess it sounds like that. It really does infact. Its so meaty and when put it up to like 3 or 4 and stand a fair way back its stupidly clear and very strong in sound. I needed something alternative to a marshall and this thing beats the crap out of it.
i do agree with .5 here i thought it was a good metal tone, but moonlpse what would be you perferd amp?

That's a hard one, I've yet to really find the exact tone I'm after. The closest I've heard is the older Meshuggah stuff and Tesseract. Also would like to try a Triaxis if I were a millionaire.

So in a sense it's a toss up between 3 heads/preamps:

Dual Rectifier
Powerball
Triaxis

And 2 cabs:

ENGL Standard 4x12
Marshall 1960A 4x12

In an ideal world I would try all 5 of those in as many combinations as possible and see what works best.

yeah but ther isnt realy an easy way to do that unless u own them all thats the same with pickups u cant realy try them out to see what sounds best with ur guitr and amp.

Well what people on the Sneap forum like doing is buying up a bunch of gear, then just sending back the pieces they didn't like. I'm not sure how legal that is, nor how well it works in various parts of the world, but it seems to work for them.

but still even if u like the tone, there could have been something the same price that sounded even better for you, but u wouldnt find out that if u only sent back the bits u didnt like and anyway you need lots of money to play around with to do that

Pethical said:
My favourites:

Framus
Engl
Krank

too bad they all cost ~$6000 here. :(

Hmm, sadly true. Around $8000 for a new Road King, which is fucked. I got quoted $6300 for a Cornford in a shop last week.

Anywho, I run a GH50L through an Orange cab with V30's and the sound is pretty good. It's basically a single channel amp with switchable 'Drive', but you can still rig it up to get a good clean and dirty sound with the same EQ setting. No reverb or any 'bells and whistles' as such, but if you're playing metal chances are you won't really need anything else.