Language constructions/misuse that piss you off

damnromulans

Klingons do not faint
Feb 2, 2010
KLINGON
I'm a big hater of people who throw the word "random" around while losing sight of its meaning. You know the type, fill in the Facebook "About Me" blank - "I dunno, I'm really random! haha! Wow I'm so random! Haha that's random!"

How about you?

I'm a big hater of people who throw the word "random" around while losing sight of its meaning. You know the type, fill in the Facebook "About Me" blank - "I dunno, I'm really random! haha! Wow I'm so random! Haha that's random!"

How about you?

I've noticed that too, and I've come to dislike it. Also, despite living in California, I can't stand valley girl type speaking, as well as the word hella.

Does this thread include text too? Because I also hate when people tYpE leIk DiS n sTuFF.

It's also kind of weird to see how a person you talk to in person writes or types. They might be perfectly good speakers but maybe they write like children.

"Believe you me"
"I could care less"
"Having said that..."
"At the end of the day.."

And when people use words like "effectively" to try and make themselves sound smarter. "What I've effectively achieved here is me effectively sounding like a retard."

I lose all respect for someone if they are interesting in person but a shitty writer. At the end of the day, I think intelligence is measured partially by writing skills. Having said that, I could care less if the shitty writer in question is interesting IRL - I certainly wouldn't write them off completely, but I do judge people by their writing abilities, effectively.

Believe you me.

I hate "could care less" - it's "couldn't care less" and this seems so obvious to me, yet so many people use the former.

I lose all respect for someone if they are interesting in person but a shitty writer. At the end of the day, I think intelligence is measured partially by writing skills. Having said that, I could care less if the shitty writer in question is interesting IRL - I certainly wouldn't write them off completely, but I do judge people by their writing abilities, effectively.

Believe you me.

I hate "could care less" - it's "couldn't care less" and this seems so obvious to me, yet so many people use the former.

Damn you.

Believe you me.

Just so you know, I agree.

All of those mentioned so far piss me off, but the one that really gets to me is when people replace "have" with "of"

"I should of known. OMGZBBQ does it ann0y u to?"

"I would of guessed there over their?!?!"

I forgot to mention one of the QCs at my work says "on the end of the day" instead of "at the end of the day" for some reason, most likely because he's a complete moron. He says it about 30 times a minute as well.

The guitarist in a band I was in used to say "point in case" instead of "case in point", as if saying "case in point" all the time isn't annoying enough. He also used to say "fustrated" instead of "frustrated". I found him rather fustrating indeed.

I hate generic boss to employee phrases like "let's touch base."

I hate everyone and everything actually.

I am really guilty of talking like a valley girl sometimes, but I now say "um" instead of "like" or "you know."

OH CHRIST ALMIGHTY. I am SO GLAD my bosses don't speak English.

How about phrases you overuse that you know are annoying?

I say "It's not rocket science" about everything. I used to do that awful thing where I would end a sentence in "so..." e.g. "They have coin lockers to store your stuff, so..."

How about phrases you overuse that you know are annoying?

I have a bad habit of parrotting things back to someone talking me, only with the first letter of each word reversed. "Fumb duck" is a pretty good example of this.

I'm actually fairly quick at it, and if I hear something I want to reverse, it's almost like a compulsion, it just comes out.

While I use them sometimes, I don't like internet abbreviations at all. Just a product of laziness, in my opinion.

imho
imo
w/e
wtf
qft
itt
irl
irs
asl
bbq
ftw
ftl
fyi
lol
rofl
lmao
roflamo
omg
omfg
omgbbqftwftldfyiittqftirlasllolroflamo

Also stuff like fo shizzle my nigga:lol:

Ebonics really piss me off, though I'm guilty of using them "ironically" from tie to time. And there's one I'm guilty of: improper use of the word "ironic" and all of its derivatives. As you know, the word "ironic" is only appropriately used when describing the literary device of irony (which of course is when the outcome of a series of events is the opposite of what is expected).
Political speak is very annoying: "Talking points", "homicide bombing", "death panels", "tort reform", "public option"; pretty much any nonsensical phrase invented by an empty headed fuckface with an office in Washington enrages me.