PPS Metal: power/prog/symphonic new music service

SeaStorm

Jun 24, 2004
Minnesota, USA
Hey gang, you know me as the board moderator and all around Theocracy/Ulterium social media guy. I'm starting a new project. This is completely unrelated to my duties for Theocracy/Ulterium, although you can rest assured that I will be using it to promote Theocracy and the other Ulterium bands as much as I can ;)

I am starting a new Facebook page (and Twitter feed) dedicated to showcasing NEW power, prog, and symphonic metal music. I have joined many of the existing FB pages in my quest to keep finding new music, but all of them left me wanting for one reason or another, so I created my own. If you are interested, please Like/follow me at:

http://www.facebook.com/PPSMetal

http://www.twitter.com/PPSMetal

I know some of you only listen to Christian metal and this probably won't be geared towards you. I'll be following the overall power/prog/symphonic metal market, so I'm guessing my ratio of secular/Christian bands will be around 90/10.

Here's the little manifesto I wrote to explain what I'm shooting for - you may notice the "Wages of Sin" exception I built it ;):

----------------

I started this service as a music discovery vehicle for power, prog, and symphonic metal fans. There are lots of Facebook pages/groups and Twitter feeds out there dedicated to this topic, but none of them quite fill the niche I wanted filled, so I decided to do it myself.

This service will be about NEW music by great bands in these genres. What you will see posted here:

* MUSIC ONLY! No tour dates, news, or press releases. This is about finding new music. Those other things are more than covered elsewhere.

* LIMITED POSTINGS per day, so that you aren't overwhelmed with junk.

* Links to OFFICIAL VIDEOS whenever possible, so that you aren't left looking at a broken link (or screwed up personal playlist in YouTube) because someone posted an unofficial video which was later taken down by the band/label.

* NO LOCAL BANDS. Many local bands are awesome, but I'm focusing on established - typically signed - national and international acts.

* NEW MUSIC only! Many feeds post old videos. I will focus on music from the current and previous calendar year. This is about finding NEW music. I will make exceptions for bands that are giving wide release to older songs that had limited reach at the time of release (e.g. a Japanese promo track that has now been made available everywhere - it's new to most of us if we couldn't get it on the album).

* JUST NEW MUSIC. Only I can post to the page, so you won't have random people promoting random other things (any public posts made to my Wall go to a hidden Wall where you won't have to see them in your feed, but I will review them and post the worthwhile ones – please post suggestions).

* ADEQUATE INFO about the music/artist so you can decide if you want to listen. That means my posts will fully-inform you as to the band/song/album/label/year/genre/country as well as type of link (full band video vs. song only vs. lyrics video). So, say you like power and prog, but not symphonic: no problem! You'll always know which ones are symphonic so you know to skip them.

----------------

I hope that some of you will join me there and that you enjoy the service!

I'm still working on upgrading the look. Our own M@RS is helping me with that. The Twitter page already looks good and you can expect the Facebook graphics to improve over time. M@RS, you rule! :worship:

If any of your have friends into these genres, I would appreciate you spreading the word! Thanks :D

Last edited:
Hey Seastorm, Could you mention 'Letter 7'. There a band that is pretty good, but don't have, many fans because they don't really advertise. Here is there webpage: http://www.myspace.com/letter7rocks

And they are signed.

I don't think I will post them, because they don't really fit my criteria. I will make some exceptions for missing just one of my criteria, but they miss a couple: not power/prog/symphonic metal (in fact, I'd say they are more rock than they are metal) and they don't have any new music as far as I can tell.

That said, I listened to a bunch of songs and Nail In The Cross is pretty sweet! I've listened to it 5+ times today:

It's too bad neither they nor their label do much to promote them (empty Facebook page; no mention on label's page that I could find). They're pretty good!

On company time? Oh dear.

Do tell, what do you do for a living :p

Haha! I sit in a cubicle all day, so I have plenty of time to listen to music while I work :D

Last edited:
Hey, thanks anyway! Yeah, they are more rock, but I found them on the list of Christian Prog. Metal.

And to any guitar players, I the entire 'Letter 7' tab section in Ultimate Guitar is by me. (The solo's aren't perfect, but the rest is I think at least 98% accurate) :D They're pretty easy, but fun!

BTW, after not listening to it for two days, I woke up this morning with Nail In The Cross running through my head. What a great chorus!

Thanks to everyone who has liked the PPS Metal page. It's weird seeing some of the Theocracy forum regulars show up there under their real names when we know each other by screen names.

Last edited: