The English/American language... clear this up for me please!

You speak English better than many native speakers I know, Gojira. I wouldn't worry. I would say your best bet would be to fancy a dictionary for a bit, just browse around.

And just for the record, GOJIRA is BEAST (no pun intended)!

Thanks man :) And I have to second you on that statement! They're even beastier live man... =)

How about feet/yards/miles? That shit is fucked up. I guess a system were everything is based on 10s was to easy for you? :p

Haha exactly :) That system is so out of date :|

Hey now, wasn't the whole feet/yards system devised by the Brits? :D

Vitruvian_Man_Measurements.png

By the way, it's kind of a pain in the ass having to deal with decimal feet...sometimes I wish I could just deal in mm.

Well that's an easy one:

"I will go to the concert" only means that you're planning on going at some point in the future
"I'm going to the concert" can mean either "I'm planning on going to the concert" or "Right now I'm putting on my jacket and getting in my car to leave for the concert."

So basically, as long as you always say "I'm going to the concert," you'll be correct, cuz it can mean both! ;)

In fairness, her teacher is Finnish and lived for 5 years in Texas. Explains a lot.

You should see my old teacher... If someone said something with any resemblance to american accent, she would correct it. If someone used an expression that's american, she would correct it with the english equivalent.

Seriously, she wouldn't accept just any english, it had to be proper upper class british english.

I think she has visited England once, or something, but I'm not sure how long her stay was...

As someone who learned his english from Nintendo games and Police Academy movies, how would you think she liked me? :lol:

Oh wow, ok, it's from an old Sega game...you know, the whole "learned english from video games" thing? It's part of the "All your base are belong to us" bit. Here: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg[/ame]

Haha this is funny, feels like I need to go back to elementary school!

Ok, so lately I have caught myself running to Google for help when I'm writing posts here. That is mainly because when I write words like "headache" etc that consists of two words, I'm not sure if they should be together or not.

Back in school, my english teacher told us that english has one major difference from swedish, which is that in english, you most often do not write the words together as one word, so I was assuming "headache" was "head ache" but all of those assumptions are false according to some googling about it. In Sweden, we always write those kind of words together as one word, but now I'm beginning to feel that this is the case in english too since MOST of the cases when I thought it was 2 separate words, has actually been a single word instead.

BUT... I'm still not sure. I was doing the same googling routine today when I wasn't sure if it was "Powergrid" or "Power grid" and it was actually the latter. So what's going on here... are there a million exceptions one must learn or is one way or the other the correct way? I really wanna know, I feel like I'm losing "it" :)

LET THE CLASS BEGIN! (and thank you)

Maybe I can shed a little light on this, but hold on tight because it's not really all that straightforward (surprised, I know.) You see, it's not so much that English is full of exceptions for every rule as it is that English is taught using oversimplified rules which work reasonably well, and then the 'exceptions' are memorized one at a time. The problem is English is about as much of an inbred-mutt language as has ever existed, and some of the subtleties of grammar -- both syntax (form) and semantics (meaning) -- were borrowed as much as words and spellings. There are indeed fully qualified rules without exceptions, but they often start with prerequisites like "When a Norman French conjugation occurs in a subjunctive dependent clause..." Needless to say, this isn't terribly useful for kids in English class.

That said, there are some useful guidelines for compounds, names and noun-phrases. "Headache" and "power grid," for instance, are a compound and a noun phrase, respectively. Part of what separates the two is the relationship between the nouns (semantics.) In the case of headache, there is a difference in modern parlance between a head ache and a headache. The former refers to a general pain in the head area and the latter refers to a more specific type of pain due to intracranial pressure and inflammation (which is why we treat "headaches" with NSAIDs like Ibuprofen -- non-steroidal anti-inflammatories.) Now, why is the noun-phrase "head ache" not hyphenated like "noun-phrase" itself is? Because noun phrases (like right here) usually (technical jargon follows similar but different rules -- like medicine names) only require hyphenation when appearing in certain syntactical positions, and most specifically when being treated like a single noun, such as in lists (like the start of this paragraph.) So we could say, "NSAIDs are a common headache treatment," or "NSAIDs can be used for head-ache treatment." The latter has three nouns in a row, and we have to choose where to hyphenate. Since this isn't a title or name, we have to allow some of the nouns to act like adjectives, describing the more nouny noun(s). Highly technical, I know :loco: So our options are "head-ache treatment" and "head ache-treatment." Which you use is based on which aspect of the idea you're trying to emphasize; the treatment or the locality of the ache.

As for "power grid", there isn't a more specific common usage of the idea which requires compounding for a neologism, thus the only compounds we see are of the type "PowerGrid", which serve as names/titles. However, were we to throw a couple more nouns in there, we'd have to hyphenate; e.g., "power-grid activation-test procedures." This is a fairly awkward construction, which is why we usually only encounter long sequences of nouns in titles and names. "Power Grid Activation Test Procedures" looks less cumbersome. Nonetheless, the former structure is technically correct when used in a sentence. It also allows for some flexibility in emphasis; "power grid-activation test-procedures" would obviously shift the focus toward the initialization procedures used in testing activation.

So, tl;dr version is that there Are rules and conventions which are rather clear cut, but they're also like extremely surgical Q's on an EQ; their range of application is very narrow and tightly defined. My best advice for you is to try to study common usage in recent publications and hope you get wise to the subtle patterns underlying the usages. But if you don't, no worries. Most native speakers are awful at it, because of how layered and mixed this language is :puke:

I actualy think we "non-native-speakers" are often overcomplicating stuff.

same with the accent....most people are afraid to actually talk because they think "man, I've got this fucked up accent people must think I'm stupid"....not knowing/considering that there is no "right/non-accent english" just watch a british show and you've got some of the most fucked up accents ever....
my best mate is australian and sometimes when we're watching tv he doesn't understand half of what for example an irish guy says...

we often feel intimidated cause we don't always understand everything and think that a native speaker would have understood whatever we just didn't....often that's not the case...

I guess that's the same in every country and with every language...there are plenty of regions in Germany for example with a really fucked up accent....
just recently I had a conversation in english....with another German guy, just because I couldn't fucking understand him when he was speaking German (or what he claimed to be German).

so just don't bother thinking about how your accent, spelling, writing, grammar is.....people will understand you

/////holyshit/////

Yeah..

See I'm a native English speaker and I would have said 'powergrid'.

Gojira, if you are just doing this to learn how to speak English better, I'd probably say don't bother. But seeing as you seem to want to learn the English language properly then go for it.. and good luck! ;p

Then you'll probably also have to pick an English language. American or British or Australian or whatever..
color/colour...
if I say 'pissed', I mean drunk. If an American says 'pissed', he means angry (i think!). Whooo!

edit: Gotta add..
if you're SPEAKING English, irl, not just typing or writing or reading, BE CONFIDENT. Please. There are quite a few Asians at my uni who can barely speak English. It shows not because their grammar is flawed or whatever, but because they keep trying to double-check everything they say, and get start apologizing for tiny little things that most people wouldn't have noticed anyway.