Last Movie You Watched?

Opinions on this one seem quite polarized and I am of the opinion that it is awesome.
I've read that as well. And that seems true of so many horror movies. It's interesting... I see a natural link between horror movies and metal music. And given that metal fans seem to rarely agree, it's not shocking the same is true of horror fans.

EDIT: I watched Oculus last night. Good flick. I think I'm love with Karen Gillan.

EDIT: I watched Oculus last night. Good flick. I think I'm love with Karen Gillan.

I liked Oculus. In general, I prefer horror movies that try and mess with your mind. I think those are much creepier than those that rely on the jump scare or an overabundance of gore (which is not scary, just gross). I don't mind the occasional jump scare or gore here and there, but if that's all the movie's got, well...

I liked Oculus.
the more thought I give it, the more I like the movie. In a sense, they put you in the same position of the main characters, not knowing what is real. Very well done.

In general, I prefer horror movies that try and mess with your mind. I think those are much creepier than those that rely on the jump scare or an overabundance of gore (which is not scary, just gross). I don't mind the occasional jump scare or gore here and there, but if that's all the movie's got, well...
Couldn't agree more. I'm not a fan of horror movies that use gore as their primary horror element. I think the goriest movie I've seen, that made the gore fit within the context of the story was Hostel.

Watched The Babadook last night. This film was consistently highly rated on Top 2014 lists. I thought it was a good, solid horror movie, but not great. A little disappointed, solely based on my high expectations.

I've read that as well. And that seems true of so many horror movies. It's interesting... I see a natural link between horror movies and metal music. And given that metal fans seem to rarely agree, it's not shocking the same is true of horror fans.
Interesting parallel, and one only needs to look at an Amaranthe or Volbeat discussion to see it in action!

I recently watched a couple sci-fi classics: Logan's Run and Planet of the Apes. I really enjoyed Logan's Run, despite it borrowing a lot from other movies such as Soylent Green and POTA. I've seen POTA before but it was fun watching it with my son who wasn't familiar with it or most of the sci-fi tropes in it (plus I love that he takes an interest in movies that are 37 years older than him).

They had "Battleship" playing on some channel (don't remember which, but there were commercials, so it wasn't a premium) earlier today. I watched it again. I had seen it once before, but I enjoyed it. I'm not really a big movie person though..........

Anchorman 2: As a bunch of individual scenes it's hilarious, but the absurdity is difficult to plot.

I might have to check that out. From time to time, I like pure slapstick. That seems to be missing in most of today's comedic movies. I watched the animated movie "The Croods" probably five times because it has that hilarious original Looney Tunes type comedy in it.

Bryant

Watched a couple of horror movies last night:

Under the Skin - if you're a second year film student at NYU, you probably loved this movie. If you had 90 minutes with nothing to do and simply wanted to see Scarlett Johansson naked, you probably loved this movie. For me it was unwatchable, pretentious, arthouse crap. I shut it off after about 30 minutes (which was 29 minutes more than it deserved).

The Borderlands - based on the threads on IMDB, which I read after watching this film, you likely thought this movie was either brilliant or laughable. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Dark, creepy, original.

Late Phases - I'm a sucker for werewolf movies. I have been since I was seven and first saw Lon Chaney Jr. in The Wolfman. Unfortunately, Late Phases was ruined by the amateurish creature effects. The story was good, the acting was excellent, but the effects were laughable.

Wanted something to watch during the winter so I found a copy of the 1st season of Sons of Anarchy and picked it up. The wife and I are now hooked and just started season 3 last night. Between this series, The Shield, Rescue Me and Justified, FX channel just might be the best thing on television (imo, anyways).

Wanted something to watch during the winter so I found a copy of the 1st season of Sons of Anarchy and picked it up. The wife and I are now hooked and just started season 3 last night.
Awesome show. There's a down season in there, but it picks back up. Probably my favorite show ever.

Between this series, The Shield, Rescue Me and Justified, FX channel just might be the best thing on television (imo, anyways).
Agreed. Unfortunately, Justified is also ending this season.

Horns - enjoyed this one quite a bit. I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies, but I think it's admirable how Daniel Radcliffe is making interesting choices to separate himself but from being "just the kid who played Harry". The movie is more of a very dark love story than a horror movie. Great cinematography. And every movie is made better by the presence of Heather Graham.

What We Do In The Shadows - not really a horror movie either, but a comedic documentary on four vampires sharing a flat in New Zealand. Funny throughout.

Horns - enjoyed this one quite a bit. I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies, but I think it's admirable how Daniel Radcliffe is making interesting choices to separate himself but from being "just the kid who played Harry". The movie is more of a very dark love story than a horror movie. Great cinematography. And every movie is made better by the presence of Heather Graham.

What We Do In The Shadows - not really a horror movie either, but a comedic documentary on four vampires sharing a flat in New Zealand. Funny throughout.

have you seen VAMPIRES. Same premise but a loser vampire family. very good. Been waiting for What We do...but sadly no US distributor yet

Just got back from the CWRU Sci-Fi movie marathon, which I try to do every year. Given how many movies I miss, this usually has been a good venue to catch up.

Godzilla (2014) - They got a lot right with this movie, that Godzilla should be fighting other monsters, and that humanity shouldn't have much effect on the monsters themselves. There is still stupid throwaway human moments, and they still managed to leave a lot of monster destruction offscreen, but it is a solid film.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - You know that I've never seen it? I've probably seen bits here or there, but never the whole film. Overall, pretty solid, and I'm still amazed at the amount of movement people in rubber suits were capable of.

The Incredible Shrinking Man - Didn't watch the whole thing, but probably amazed back in the day.

Steamboy - I own a copy of it, and my opinion hasn't changed much. Good animation. Plot has potential until the action gets turned up to 11 and plot pretty much doesn't matter.

Island Of Lost Souls - Otherwise known as The Island of Dr. Moreau, this was the first film adaptation of it. Definitely more played toward the horror aspects of it.

Jodorowsky's Dune - I've really been looking forward to this documentary about Alejandro Jodorowsky's attempt in the 1970s to turn Frank Herbert's Dune into a movie. I couldn't tell by the end if his movie would have been a work of genius or a disaster. In any case, I would have loved to have seen it. This is an excellent documentary, made possible by the level of detail Jodorowsky had towards the project.

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman - This really hasn't aged well. Most of the movie is melodrama between a wife, her husband and his mistress. Wife sees alien, husband thinks she's crazy and tries to have her committed so that she can run off with both her money and his mistress. Eventually becomes 50 foot woman and kills her husband before getting killed herself.

Edge Of Tomorrow - The film I was looking forward to and I was quite happy with it. Reluctant soldier Cruise gets stuck in a time loop while involved with fighting aliens. Emily Blunt is able to help, because she's experienced this before. Overall well done, tho I'm not sure about the ending. Particularly enjoyable if you want to see Tom Cruise die in many different ways.

Sounds interesting.

Have you seen "Tucker and Dale vs Evil"? It is, in my opinion, an extremely smart, comedic take on horror. Very well done. It's funny in a "Shaun of the Dead" way, rather than a "Scary Movie" way. The humor stands up to repeated viewings, as well.

Sounds interesting.

Have you seen "Tucker and Dale vs Evil"? It is, in my opinion, an extremely smart, comedic take on horror. Very well done. It's funny in a "Shaun of the Dead" way, rather than a "Scary Movie" way. The humor stands up to repeated viewings, as well.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely check it out.

Just watched The Taking of Deborah Logan. Interesting twist on a classic theme. Well done. Based on what I've watched so far, 2014 was a pretty strong year for horror.

Have been to an actual movie theater 3 times this month...think that surpasses my attendance for all of 2014!

Saw "The Hobbit", "Unbroken" and "Paddington". :cool:

Watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". Very inspirational, but I *don't* think I will be starting a 60-day juice fast anytime soon!

One of my co-workers who is now a vegan told me about this movie and the sequel "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead 2". I watched the first one on Netflix and will watch the second one soon.

I agree with you; I won't be starting a juice fast anytime soon, but it inspired me to eat healthier and to start drinking fruit smoothies for breakfast. I'm still experimenting on the ingredient list though! ;)