Latest book read/recommendations

I'm finally reading "the picture of Dorian Gray" pretty good read so far....I've been starved for a decent book.

I also pickedup "the Alphabet of Manliness" on a whim as well..but..so far i'm not too impressed. 27 chapters of Maddox is a bit too much for me I guess.

firewalkjen said:
I just finished Clive Barker-The Great and Secret Show. Phenomenal book, couldn't put it down

Barker is the man!!

fuck yeah! :headbang: I'm reading Weaveworld by Barker right now and it's equally amazing

SirDidymus127 said:
"The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien... very interesting look at being in the Vietnam War...

Sorry but that book was gay as hell. Not to start a flame or anything but... EAT FIRE WOMAN!!!

FretsAflame said:
Sorry but that book was gay as hell. Not to start a flame or anything but... EAT FIRE WOMAN!!!

seriously man... who told you that you were entitled to your own opinion!?!? :lol:

SirDidymus127 said:
"The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien... very interesting look at being in the Vietnam War...

I had to read this for my Survey of American Lit class in Uni...I thought it was pretty interesting.

I just finished The Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier. He is probably my favorite modern author at the moment, and this novel is definitely a declaration of why that is so, but it has received mixed reviews across the board. Admittedly, it does borrow from The Worst Journey in the World, but through his writing, he makes this novel so much his own that it becomes a moot point. His style is so lyrical that after awhile, it feels like you are reading an epic poem. What I love most about his novels, and what I've seen a lot of complaining about, is the fact that Brockmeier always focuses on the little things in his characters. He uses fantasy to throw them into imaginative, creative situations, and then he makes it all seem completely real and human by making the characters ordinary, thoughtful, and almost all of their most tragic moments would be insignificant in most novels.
As a quick over view of the story for anyone that may be interested in reading it, it takes place in two separate worlds, and the chapters alternate between them. One is our world, which has died out from the spread of a virus known as "The Blinks," except for Laura Byrd, who is in Antarctica by way of her company of employment, Coca Cola. The other side of the story is a city of the dead, much like our own, that people remain in as long as they stay in the memory of those still in the world of the living. I love the way he ended it, though I've heard plenty of complaints about that, so if you read this, just know that you may not care much for it. If nothing else, you will at least appreciate the beauty in his writing, but some may just not get the point of it all. No matter. I love the point.
I'm now reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I haven't made it very far in this yet, but I can already tell why it was a best seller. A much different style from Brockmeier, as it is a definite quick read affair, whereas with Brockmeier, every sentence lingers and makes you almost just want to stop and soak in the beauty of it. However, I wouldn't call this just a read for entertainment. I'm not that far in it yet, but it looks to be powerful, poignant, and heartbreaking at times.

Shadow at the Bottom of the World by Thomas Ligotti. He's far and away the best writer in horror, but to label his work as just horror does him a disservice. These are subtle, incredibly well-written, quite disturbing and extremely original short stories. If you like Lovecraft, Poe, Barker, and even King, then you gotta check him out. He's got a lot of older collections that are out of print and it's really a shame that he's relatively unknown.

Ligotti is by far the most underrated author in modern literature. The Nightmare Factory blew me away, and in my opinion, is better than Shadow at the Bottom of the World only because it has more stories in it. He's supposed to release a new collection, Teatro Grottesco, sometime this year. I'm eagerly awaiting it.

(look at my location)

Animus, you should check out www.ligotti.net

unknown said:
Ligotti is by far the most underrated author in modern literature. The Nightmare Factory blew me away, and in my opinion, is better than Shadow at the Bottom of the World only because it has more stories in it. He's supposed to release a new collection, Teatro Grottesco, sometime this year. I'm eagerly awaiting it.

(look at my location)

he sounds really interesting. i'll make a point to check him out, but all the bookstores around here suck.

i read almost all of Twisted Tales by Brandon Massey. he's a good writer, though his stories are ... simple. not in a bad way, since he is a good writer; they're just straight-forward, uncomplicated horror stories. they'd probobly work better as Tales from the Crypt episodes.

now i'm reading A Walk on the Darkside, one of the horror collections edited by Dave Pelan. definately some good stuff here. i probobly like Pelan's contrbution to the collection the best, but i'm only about half-through.

after this (or whenever, since it's just a collection, but i'm so ocd that i just have to finish all of whatever it is) i have Resurrection Dreams by Richard Laymon, Flesh Gothic by Edward Lee, and Writ in Blood by Thomas A. Moore. reading all this has definately made my imagination (read: plaguristic device) kick in, so i'm writing a lot more, but not finishing much. but it seems that whenever i get through the beginning of a story (the hardest part for me) and run out of steam there, i'm starting a new one. these past few weeks have been stressful and kinda shitty, so maybe i'll be able to chill and do something productive in a little bit.

unknown said:

(look at my location)

Wow, I hadn't noticed put two and two together with your location before. Pretty amazing to find another fan here but I guess that says something about metalheads. I've been lurking at that site for a while now and Nightmare Factory was my intro to Ligotti. I only linked to Shadow since it's the most readily available. By the way, if you have any advice on finding TNF or any of the old collections, I'm in the market.