Latest book read/recommendations

Tongue_Ring said:
the "forgotten realms" books are pretty good fantasy
No, they really aren't.

The Farseer trilogy is very good - I've read the Tawny Man trilogy (again about FitzChivalry), which is pretty good but not near the original three, and I'm just starting on the Liveship Traders stuff, which actually comes between the two chronologically. Thinking about checking out some of Hobb's other stuff.

As for myself, just finished reading Watchmen, which was just ridiculously good, and Against the Tide of Years, the second book in S.M. Stirling's Nantucket/Bronze Age historifantasy series, which is some pretty cool stuff especially if you're into ancient history at all.

Eagerly awaiting the next George RR Martin book. Probably going to check out a couple of Lizard's recommendations in the meantime.

The Algebraist by Iain M Banks. I'm re-reading it because I adore the scope of his Banks' science fiction, so witty and the prose inspires you to feel the intangible.

I'm reading a tonne of books and various classical journals, none of which you'll all be interested in :p

Animus said:
Wow, I hadn't noticed put two and two together with your location before. Pretty amazing to find another fan here but I guess that says something about metalheads. I've been lurking at that site for a while now and Nightmare Factory was my intro to Ligotti. I only linked to Shadow since it's the most readily available. By the way, if you have any advice on finding TNF or any of the old collections, I'm in the market.

ebay. Or ligotti.net...every now and then a user will put something up for sale. haha. Although, if you live in a big city, your central library might have something. I found a signed copy of My Work Is Not Yet Done from the Los Angeles Central Library.

but yeah...Shadow at the Bottom of the World is the most readily available.

Pyrus said:
No, they really aren't.

The Farseer trilogy is very good - I've read the Tawny Man trilogy (again about FitzChivalry), which is pretty good but not near the original three, and I'm just starting on the Liveship Traders stuff, which actually comes between the two chronologically. Thinking about checking out some of Hobb's other stuff.

As for myself, just finished reading Watchmen, which was just ridiculously good, and Against the Tide of Years, the second book in S.M. Stirling's Nantucket/Bronze Age historifantasy series, which is some pretty cool stuff especially if you're into ancient history at all.

Eagerly awaiting the next George RR Martin book. Probably going to check out a couple of Lizard's recommendations in the meantime.

WATCHMEN! ^_^