Latest CD you bought...

I'm going through a totally retro phase at the moment.

The last albums I bought were:

Spreading the disease - Anthrax
Persistence of time - Anthrax
Coroner - Coroner
Act III - Death Angel

I love the old thrashy stuff.

I would totally recommend "Critical Mass" by Threshold. Symphony played it to me and it's incredible. Sooo heavy yet melodic and complex. Top stuff and I'm not just saying that because Karl is such a top bloke!

Has anyone got "Winds of Change" by Venom's Mantas? I have it on LP and it rules. It's very 80's but then it was recorded in '86! It's almost Power Metal in places.

Saturday I bought:

Accept - Balls To The Wall
Judas Priest - Ram It Down

Just need to get Sin After Sin and Priest...Live! and then I'm acquanted with all the Halford-era Priest material :D then off to try the Ripper-era....

Originally posted by Ayeka
then off to try the Ripper-era....
The cynical among us would say don't bother :) Actually, that's not fair. Ripper's actually got a great voice. It's just a shame that he's not allowed to use it. My biggest gripe with Jugulator and Demolition isn't Ripper, it's the quality of the songwriting. It's as if Glenn Tipton has completely forgotten how to pen a decent metal riff. He's certainly capable. His solo album proved that Priest wasn't all Halford's work. But recent Priest albums have just been dull. I think he's been listening to his kids too much (who he's said are into Slipknot, Limp Wristed and the like...)

Oh, just to stay on topic, the last CDs I bought were Hammerfall's "Hearts on fire" single, and Rammstein's "Feuer Frei!" single. The latter was only to get the video track at the end of the CD (and to test if the copy protection can be defeated -- if not, it's going back, 'coz I only play CDs on my Linux boxen these days). Ayeka's comment at the top got me wracking my brain to try and think of the last thing I bought on vinyl, though. I think it was Xentrix's Ghostbusters 12"

Arch Enemy - Wages Of Sin

Hell yeah!
Not as good as the most of my mp3's (which contains Arch Enemy as well..) but still very good
*goes off to buy some DT-cd's* (probably tomorrow)

In the post today arrived a Metal Merchant Sampler CD that contains some pretty fine Metal. Some of it I'd heard before but some I had not:

Mystic Circle - The Revelation
Mystic Circle - 666 (Mark Of The Devil)
Twyster - Twyster
Stoner Kings - Journey's End
Meduza - Now And Forever
Anguish - N.E.W. (New Embryonic World)
Firewind - Destination Forever
Kaledon - Gods Says Yes
Fearer - Confession To Hate
Stormwarrior - The Hammer Returneth
Stormwarrior - Signe Of The Warlorde
Couragous - Brothers In Mind
Centinela - Sangre Eterna
Lonewolf- March Into The Arena
Thy Majestie - The King And The Warrior
Heimdall - Eternal Race
Wisdom - Burning Down
Nameless Crime - Last Tears Of The Blind
Highlord - Sister Witch Thor (The Power Head)
Wolf - Night Stalker

Some of it sounds pretty good on first listen!

I like Firewind. You probably know that the guitarist in Firewind play guitar in the swedish power metal band Dream Evil. Don't like Dream Evil that much. The only Dream Evil song that I really like is "In flames you burn", and that's in my opinion their best track..
I like Firewind better than Dream Evil anyway.. the debut is promising..

NP: Rain fell Within - Torn Apart

Originally posted by WeekendWarrior
The only Dream Evil song that I really like is "In flames you burn", and that's in my opinion their best track..
Have to disagree with you there. "Chasing the dragon" is an excellent track, and IMHO their best. And of course, how can you not like "HMJ" just for being plain ridiculous? It's almost up to the standards of Edguy's "Save us" or Helloween's "Heavy metal hamsters" :)

There are some familiar names there, like Heimdall, Stormwarrior, Meduza and Highlord, but the one that (for me) stands above all the others is Thy Majestie! I have heard "The King and the Warrior" and "Echoes of War" from their new album "Hastings 1066" and they both rock! I actually ordered the album some time ago but haven't got it yet.