Latest CD you bought...

Originally posted by Tet
The cynical among us would say don't bother :) Actually, that's not fair. Ripper's actually got a great voice. It's just a shame that he's not allowed to use it. My biggest gripe with Jugulator and Demolition isn't Ripper, it's the quality of the songwriting. It's as if Glenn Tipton has completely forgotten how to pen a decent metal riff. He's certainly capable. His solo album proved that Priest wasn't all Halford's work. But recent Priest albums have just been dull. I think he's been listening to his kids too much (who he's said are into Slipknot, Limp Wristed and the like...)

Oooh, people said the same kind of things about Blaze-era Maiden...and The X Factor is one of my favourite Maiden albums, was listening to that earlier and I'm listening to Virtual XI now! :D I'm aware that it's not safest territory but, hey, who said Metal was ever about complacency?! :cool: the completist in me is dying to hear Jugulator, Live Meltdown and Demolition, and it's a whole new era of Priest! Gotta be heard, man!

Originally posted by Ayeka
The X Factor is one of my favourite Maiden albums

the completist in me is dying to hear Jugulator, Live Meltdown and Demolition, and it's a whole new era of Priest! Gotta be heard, man!
Hmmm. I was one of those who thought "The X Factor" was quite a poor album. Strange, because I had been looking forward to hearing Maiden with Blaze. But when it came out, it was a big disappointment to me. Fortunately, they redeemed (aside: "Redeemer!" -- hmmm... I think I've been playing too much Unreal Tournament lately!) themselves with "Virtual XI", which I thought was a much stronger album.

As for Ripper era Priest, I agree, you've at least got to listen to it and make up your own mind. Personally, I quite like some of it, but only when viewed from a perspective of "this is a new band". It's very definitely not Priest. It's another band with some passable material of their own that happen to play a load of Priest covers in their live set :)

Funny thing I noticed about Dream Evil. When I first heard their song "Save Us", the guitar riff sounded familiar right away. It took me a while (we Finns are slow :p ), but then I noticed it, my brother wrote a song called "The Fart Thing" (for our so-called band) maybe two years ago and these two do sound quite a bit alike.

But I do like Dream Evil!

Over the last 7 days I have bought.......

Symphony X - The Odyssey (Ltd)
Power Quest - Wings of Forever
Firewind - Between Heaven & Hell
Messiah's Kiss - Prayer For The Dying
Luca Turilli - Prophet of the Last Eclipse (Ltd)

Star Wars - Attack of the Clones
Lord of the Rings (Extended Version)

And that's it 'til Xmas.......:)

Originally posted by Tet
As for Ripper era Priest, I agree, you've at least got to listen to it and make up your own mind. Personally, I quite like some of it, but only when viewed from a perspective of "this is a new band". It's very definitely not Priest.

I shall take that into account, thank you :)

Letting you know every new thing I buy, I now bring your attention to...7" vinyl! :D

Today I got:

Graham Bonnet - Night Games
Poison - Unskinny Bop
Rainbow - Can't Happen Here
UFO - something transparent from 1981... :confused: forgot what it was now!

I've never actually seen it on CD, nor any of Graham's other solo albums. Well, I lie...I first heard Night Games on Purple Rainbows, a compilation a mate leant me - half of it was Deep Purple, the rest Rainbow, Whitesnake, Dio, and of course that song. Bloody brilliant album, brings back happy memories of happy days just thinking about it :)

What do you think of the Rock Opera, K-mak?
I've heard some tracks, but I haven't bought the album yet..maybe I will..
I was kind of dissapointed over Prophet of the last Eclipse. It's a ok album, with some great songs, but it isn't King of the Nordic Twilight quality on it :)
I like both the material and the concept better on his first solo album..
I like the new Thy Majestie album. They have improved..:)

NP: Power Quest - Wings of Forever :headbang:

The rock opera is quite good, not the greatest thing I've heard though. I've been mostly listening to the Turilli & Thy Majestie CDs on the weekend, so I don't have a conclusive opinion about it yet. :) I must agree with you about the new Turilli. It is good, but (so far at least) King of the Nordic Twilight is a bit better.

At my local record store no less. I still can't believe it. I thought for sure I'd have to order them (I'm in Tucson, Arizona, USA). Just as I think metal's dead here I find out otherwise. Now if I can just pick up the Power Quest album in the next few weeks...:)

The new Hammerfall album's great. It's not as catchy as some of the other stuff I've heard from them (like As the Dragon Lies Bleeding) but it grows on 'ya quick, and track 1 in particular is awsome.

I'm trying to hold out for the US release of Power Quests album. If it take too much longer I'll probably break down and order it from overseas though. Gotta say I envy you guys in Europe and the U.K. where power metal's still really big.

Track 1 is great! I believe it's called Riders of the Storm.
It's one of the best tracks..but the best song is the titletrack :
Crimson Thunder :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
You have to agree with me on this one..:)

Rsilvergun......I gotta say that I much prefer the latest Hammerfall compared to "Renegade". The first 3 tracks are a great combo! Bit slower than the best bits of "Glory to the Brave" and "Legacy of Kings" (still my fave!)

Originally posted by rsilvergun
The new Hammerfall album's great. It's not as catchy as some of the other stuff I've heard from them (like As the Dragon Lies Bleeding) but it grows on 'ya quick, and track 1 in particular is awsome.

Crimon Thunder reigns uber alles! :headbang: I'm surprised you haven't found it as catchy...every time I've been up my mate's house since he bought it when it came out, we've given it a spin all the way through and I found yesterday that I'd picked up the choruses just from these casual listens. A minor issue only, just saying!