Latest CD you bought...

Originally posted by rsilvergun
Gotta say I envy you guys in Europe and the U.K. where power metal's still really big.
Power metal big in the UK? Stop before my sides split. While it's better than it once was, it's still entirely underground. There is *no* rock press coverage. The UK's leading "rock" magazine doesn't even acknowledge its existence. There's no radio play (other than on Totalrock, which I can't listen to since they switched to broadcasting in WMA). The situation is much better in continental Europe, but even then, it's still got a long way to do. But Hammerfall's new album at least went to #1 in the album charts in their native Sweden, something that would be unthinkable here.

Today I bought :

Avalon - Eurasia

WoW! Surprised over this one. This is great prog power metal!
Eternal Flame is a incredible song, and the whole album is very good. Looking forward to their next release..:)

NP: Avalon - Eternal Flame

Too bloody right. I'll be watching the letterbox with great anticipation on Saturday morning...providing the hangover don't get in the way ;)

And yesterday I bought....

Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny LP
Anthrax - I'm The Man 7"
Lead Weight, a CD reissue of an old Neat records compilation. The tracklist is as follows:

Raven - Inquisitor
White Spirit - Cheetah
Venom - Angel Dust
Axe - S.S. Giro
Blitzkrieg - Inferno
Aaragon - Noonday
Fist - Throwing In The Towel
Axis - Messiah
Bitches Sin - Down The Road
Warrior - Flying High
Satan's Empire - Soldiers of War
Jaguar - Dutch Connection
Hellanbach - All Systems Go
Savage - Let It loose
Shy - Deep Water

Only one of these bands I'd heard before was Venom, a few I'd heard of. My faves are Savage, White Spirit, Venom and Raven in that order....quite good for two quid! :D

Ahhhhhh!!! My era ....the NWOBHM :D

Ayeka..if you like Cheetah you might want to see if you can find White Spirit the album. They were definitely one of the best bands to come out of NWOBHM....and better stilll they came from my home town.

Also check out Raven's Rock Until You Drop...an excellent slice of old school metal from the NE of England.

yesterday i bought emperor - anthem to the melkings at dusk(or something like this) and I finally convince my mon and she lend me her credit card so i ordered WINGS OF FOREVER :) :)

I'm going to buy that one too. I've heard some great stuff about it. I've been interested in that band since their demo came out.

I will check it out soon, and I don't think I'm going to be dissapointed..:)

NP: Luca Turilli - Prophet of the last Eclipse

Originally posted by dragonmaiden
Ahhhhhh!!! My era ....the NWOBHM :D

Ayeka..if you like Cheetah you might want to see if you can find White Spirit the album. They were definitely one of the best bands to come out of NWOBHM....and better stilll they came from my home town.

Also check out Raven's Rock Until You Drop...an excellent slice of old school metal from the NE of England.

I thought White Spirit sounded a bit like Deep Purple and a LOT like Gillan...I'm a big Purple fan! :D Yes, definately a worthwhile investment, I'd say. Plus there's the historical value of Janick Gers....

Raven be worth remembering....I checked 'em out on the internet and it seems they been soldiering on way since the NWOBHM, eh? In the Saxon sense, not like those who split up and re-form every few years...surprising they manage to keep such a low profile :)

dragonmaiden, you know the band Witchfynde? I got Give 'Em Hell for two quid some time back...any thoughts?

Ayeka.....I do indeed know Witchfynde...though I have to say they were not one of the best of the NWOBHM bands IMHO. Saying that there are a few of the old tracks you might want to check out. Leaving Nadir & Crystal Gazing on their 1983 offering Cloak and Dagger are personal faves. You may already be aware that the band have got together again and recently supported Diamond Head on their UK tour. There has been some suggestions they should play at Bloodstock so you may get the opportunity to see them next year.

I'm glad you like White Spirit....you can get the CD on Japanese import if you feel inclined. I think it's one of the my top ten NWOBHM albums. I have good memories of seeing them in my youth. :)

Originally posted by Symphony
Hey K-Mak! That Dionysus album has been getting some really great reviews....how do you rate it?

There are a few killer tunes like:
Time Will Tell
Sign of Truth
Anthem for the Children
Holy War

Very catchy choruses! A few songs are more akin to the 80s heavy metal.

Edguy's Mandrake kept on coming to mind while listening to Dionysus. Not a bad thing, I'd say. Definitely recommended for fans of such bands as Edguy, Helloween and hmm...Sinergy.

I'd rate it 8,5/10

Yeah, Give 'Em Hell is a bit of a patchy affair. I was kind of surprised because they were trumped by Steve Harris as one of the better bands of the NWOBHM. The first song on the album, Leaving Nadir and "Joan of Arc, warrior queen..." one are my faves...really should dig it up to get the names but oh well! :D I was kinda sad in a sense to see that they'd reformed...the way I see it, they weren't the best or most prolific of bands, you think if they hadn't been around for the NWOBHM there would've been no reason for the reformation. Certainly seems tragic that reforming a small 20-year old band is the best the guys can do now...but still, I hope to get to Bloodstock next year and if they put on a cracking set I shall eat my words with a healthy siding of humble pie!

Certainly would've been worth seeing them with Diamond Head, been watching to catch those guys for a bit now. Now there's a great NWOBHM band!!! :headbang: there is a vinyl copy of Borrowed Time placed teasingly in the window of a second-hand record shop near me, sadly I am unwilling to pay £9 for an album with a sleeve so faded it is nearly invisible, no matter how much I want to music inside...

Courtesy of Dragonmaiden the latest cd to be added to my collection is Axel Rudi Pell's Knights Live - It's very nice!

For NWOBHM stuff I tend to get it on Ebay. I was too young to properly appreciate that era but I think my fave bands from that time (Apart from the obvious Maiden, Def Leppard and Saxon) were Witchfinder General, Trespass, Tygers Of Pan Tang, Diamond Head and Praying Mantis.

There's some fairly good info on these bands at www.nwobhm.com