Lead guitarist in ma band (River Dragon Solo)

Ok I worked out the right fingering and the slides, I fixed up the guitarpro tab too (at least the arpeggio part, the later part is fairly straight forward), here it is:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A3742E1E0422A6DF

Will upload new video either today or tomorrow.

Oh I changed all the instruments to standard tuning in the guitarpro, if you play tuned down then just go to all the instrument properties and change the tuning (choose No when asked if it should transpose it)

Powerslave said:
Also, to all the people talking about the fingering, i would love for you to tell me what the correct fingering is. Fretsaflame is obviously not using the correct fingering as he's missing out half the notes, and the first guy is using the same fingernig i am (except he is missing out the slides)

Oh btw frets you said im missing out some of the minor details like the slides... im actually doing all the slides as they are in the original.

EDIT: I just listened to the original again and I'm basically doing the second slide wrong, i'm sliding up instead of sliding down, but that's it really. Frets is doing all the slides correctly but he's still missing out half the notes.

Hahaha boy you are just plain arrogant. You were both using the wrong fingering. Maybe since you realized your mistake you should go back and fix that.

Powerslave said:
Frets: Even though you have very good technique and clean sound, and the last bit of the solo is decent... dude you are missing out almost half the notes of the first part. You aren't even keeping any sort of tempo. Try playing along to a guitarpro backing or even the song itself and you'll see what i mean, seriously like half the solo is missing.

Actually if you count it out there is a tempo - it's just too fast. I'm also not missing any notes, I'm just playing them *too* fast.

AnvilSnake said:
1st video: Not bad. That tone sounds like my little p.o.s amp.
2nd video: crap. just pure crap. way too sloppy, you miss many notes, and your fingering is off too.
3rd video: Winner. too fast, and a bit hard to follow due to watching the other two videos, and your bends are off as well. Well done though. Slow it down, work on your bends.

Here is the correct version;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EFYMFt5a5jo&search=Jeff Loomis 5

You can see that he never crosses past the D string - your fingerings are wrong. The pattern is the same just shifted down 3 frets.

@ anvilsnake, and kinda @ powerslave

If you check the time on my version and Loomis' version - you'll see that I'm finishing the first of two sections (ie: the entirety of what he is playing) about 2-3 seconds quicker. When I play it along with the album it plays just fine, although I sometimes find myself moving a little too fast. Practice makes perfect though!

In regards to the bends - the positions are correct, but bends aren't hard by any means. The second set of bends is where you think you're hearing a problem - but I am simply leaving out the harmony. The reason for this is everytime I did it it came out sounding wrong on the digital camera I was using. The entire end run is correct though, where as Powerslave has it almost completely wrong. You also forgot the last note, which is key to the holistic sound of the passage. Way to go.

Basically, to sum this thread up: Powerslave, you aren't half the player you say you are, as you can't even tabulate a simple run by ear much less identify the fingering used. You're not in a position to give criticism on anyone's playing, much less mine or the poster of the original video's. Gtfo.

Jeez, Steve, why the hell aren't you playing in a band? Your technique's a hell of a lot better than mine is.

It's fast, and about as clean as Jeff usually plays it. Nice. Slow it down a tad and you'd pretty much have it.

Hahaha thanks Mike :lol: Sadly, everyone my age that wants to be in a band wants to play emo :(

I should just hit a bunch of music stores and post fliers seeking serious, experienced, death metal musicians. Maybe that'd work out for me. The music scene here is so stale bro. Or at least it feels like it sometimes!

You're telling me? It was us and TTD doing Power/Thrash/Whatever for ten years. At least there's a few more bands now...

Don't bother with fliers. Talk to people at shows. I'll see who I can hook you up with - what are you really looking at doing?

1. Anyone who knows the first thing about music and counting out time will know that in your video you are not following any sort of tempo. I'm not even discussing this, this is stupid.

2. I have no idea what you are talking about regarding the final run, you are obviously getting the very first bend wrong (it is the WRONG NOTE, this is not really a point to discuss) and you completely improvised the very last run, just like the first video, i was the only one who did something remotely close to the original.

3. I never claimed to be any sort of guitarist so I don't see how i'm not half the guitarist I "claim to be". I also did not claim that I could play this solo well, in fact I fully admit that it is sloppy and telling me that it's sloppy is really pointless considering I'm already saying it myself.

4. You need to realise that speed isn't everything. To people who can't play guitar, speed is very impressive. The more notes you can cram into every second, the better. To people who have any sort of ear or training in music, what you were playing makes little sense and is completely different to the original. I would love for you to repost your video and overdub it with a metronome, counting out the bars as they are in the original song. Seriously, my 13 year old brother who just started learning music can tell that you are not keeping time.

5. Did you even bother to look at the guitarpro tab I posted? I admitted getting the fingering and the slides wrong, I fixed the tab and you can see it for yourself.

6. You are obviously just out to make me look bad and I seriously don't care at all about how I look because first of all this is an internet forum and secondly it is a tiny internet forum that noone cares about. It's really cool to see your fanboys show up to praise you as much as they can and to stand amazed at how incredibly fast you can play.. you are just *too fast*!! Wow, dude. Speed = cool. Who needs tempo, accentuation and accuracy when you can play 64ths at 300bpm?!? Right?

Powerslave said:
1. Anyone who knows the first thing about music and counting out time will know that in your video you are not following any sort of tempo. I'm not even discussing this, this is stupid.

His time's a little wobbly. For playing it that fast, though, with no backing, he's doing fine.

The only one making you look bad is you.

Powerslave said:

2. I have no idea what you are talking about regarding the final run, you are obviously getting the very first bend wrong (it is the WRONG NOTE, this is not really a point to discuss) and you completely improvised the very last run, just like the first video, i was the only one who did something remotely close to the original.

Well, that's obvious. I mean, you don't even know what you're talking about regarding the final run.

3. I never claimed to be any sort of guitarist so I don't see how i'm not half the guitarist I "claim to be". I also did not claim that I could play this solo well, in fact I fully admit that it is sloppy and telling me that it's sloppy is really pointless considering I'm already saying it myself.

Powerslave said:
Consider this constructive criticism for your friend.

1. What is the point of uploading a video of you playing a piece at 2/3rds the speed? Get it up to the right speed and then show it off.

2. Wtf @ the tone... seriously... you can't get a tone that bad no matter how shitty your amp is.

3. The first half of the solo is decent accuracy-wise, a couple of notes are off but generally he hit the majority of them.

4. The second half is, frankly, horrible. Lots of mistakes, ZERO expression/emotion, and it is obvious he needs to practice his runs.

That is all.

Powerslave said:
So why don't you stop defending this guy as if I'm trying to steal his girlfriend and just accept my criticism and maybe he will want to use it to his benefit.

There isn't much room for expression? He doesn't even care? It's just technique? The guy should just give up the guitar now cause with that mentality he is not getting anywhere.

Alright. Whatever you say there Aziz.

4. You need to realise that speed isn't everything. To people who can't play guitar, speed is very impressive. The more notes you can cram into every second, the better. To people who have any sort of ear or training in music, what you were playing makes little sense and is completely different to the original. I would love for you to repost your video and overdub it with a metronome, counting out the bars as they are in the original song. Seriously, my 13 year old brother who just started learning music can tell that you are not keeping time.

No shit speed isn't everything. I'm not even going to bother responding to this as you lack reading comprehension. Go back to the 4th grade. I had a wonderful teacher. Her name was Mrs. Otto. She can give you some real good tips I think.

5. Did you even bother to look at the guitarpro tab I posted? I admitted getting the fingering and the slides wrong, I fixed the tab and you can see it for yourself.

No I didn't, and I'm not going to. I have the correct version of the tab.

6. You are obviously just out to make me look bad and I seriously don't care at all about how I look because first of all this is an internet forum and secondly it is a tiny internet forum that noone cares about. It's really cool to see your fanboys show up to praise you as much as they can and to stand amazed at how incredibly fast you can play.. you are just *too fast*!! Wow, dude. Speed = cool. Who needs tempo, accentuation and accuracy when you can play 64ths at 300bpm?!? Right?

As Mike said, the only person making you look bad is you. As for me, I've realized I'm trying to teach a pig to sing.

Powerslave said:
Also; I won't even bother uploading a new video as it's obvious you are all too busy benig impressed by the breakneck speeds that Frets is achieving to even notice that he's missing out entire groups of notes.

Again with the notes. Yes it's too fast, no I'm not missing any notes. I recommend finding a tab with the proper fingering and actually listening to the damn solo so you'll have half an idea of what you're talking about.

Maybe you can actually watch Loomis playing it.

Fuck, here it is again. http://youtube.com/watch?v=EFYMFt5a5jo&search=Jeff Loomis 5

If nothing else then just shut up and go cry in the corner with your sour grapes.

Ok, I will tab out exactly what you are playing in guitar pro, and upload the tab. It won't be easy, the only way to get it exactly right (as you are playing it) will be to use some pretty fucked up signatures. I know I'll definitely be using 27/32 AT LEAST once.

Also: how is the part you quoted in reference to me claiming i'm any sort of guitarist relevant? Maybe you quoted the wrong post? Maybe you have serious comprehension issues?

Whatever dude do what you want. If this was such a no name little internet shithole that you didn't care about you wouldn't be wasting the effort. But whatever buddy.

FretsAflame said:
Whatever dude do what you want. If this was such a no name little internet shithole that you didn't care about you wouldn't be wasting the effort. But whatever buddy.

Yeah, you're right, but I've decided to make you realise that you don't know what you're talking about, that's all. It's my pet project for the summer. I hope you enjoy it.

Every time I see this thread bumped, I have the hope that Loomis would just come in and laugh at everyone. There's scant few things more irritating than a bunch of guitarists arguing with their egos leading the way.

Hell do you even realize why you're arguing anymore? Who cares who can play the solo faster, or more accurately? Does it even hold any relevance to the original post?

Moonlapse said:
Every time I see this thread bumped, I have the hope that Loomis would just come in and laugh at everyone. There's scant few things more irritating than a bunch of guitarists arguing with their egos leading the way.

Hell do you even realize why you're arguing anymore? Who cares who can play the solo faster, or more accurately? Does it even hold any relevance to the original post?

No ego here buddy. Laugh at Powerslave all you want, he's the one that thinks he's hot shit. Me? Put me up against Loomis and I'd shit my pants. I'm a long way away from that man, and unlike Powerslave, I know it.

Powerslave, just shut up, no ones listening to you except Fretts who wants to keep pointing out what an asshole you are. (and he's doing a good job at it too)

Steve, come up to Jersey and start a metal band with me.

Mike said:
Powerslave, just shut up, no ones listening to you except Fretts who wants to keep pointing out what an asshole you are. (and he's doing a good job at it too)

Steve, come up to Jersey and start a metal band with me.

:lol:

Only if I can bring wesson oil.