Legality of making your own ringtones

R0b

Sep 2, 2012
Does anyone know if it's legal to take a song you've purchased (whether ripped from a CD or purchased straight as an MP3), upload it to one of those make your own ringtone sites, and... well... turn the section you want into a ringtone?

You guys realize that so much stuff you do every day is technically illegal, right? Like, lending a friend your DVD collection of Lord Of The Rings? That's totally illegal.

Or how about speeding? "It's only 5 miles over!" is like saying "I only murdered 1 person!". Because all sin is equal, right? This goes along with not fully stopping when you turn right on red (or at stop signs), not using your turning signals, parking slightly too far from the curb, etc etc.

Seastorm: As far as I know, they don't allow that. The other alternative is to download an app for my phone that allows me to edit songs for ringtones.

Legal options:
1. Rip the CD to your computer. Download Audacity (Open Source program) Edit the MP3 file how you want it (I add in fades so the ringtone is not jarred together, just google guides). Save and send back to your phone. Boom, phone is yours computer is yours files are yours. LEGAL (and you have a perfect, 100 percent custom made ringtone)

2. If you have Android, get RingDroid. Its a free. legal app that will let you edit the sound file on your phone, like above... Totally legal.

Illegal is when you share the files with someone else, for free, or get files from someone else, for free.

Legal options:
1. Rip the CD to your computer. Download Audacity (Open Source program) Edit the MP3 file how you want it (I add in fades so the ringtone is not jarred together, just google guides). Save and send back to your phone. Boom, phone is yours computer is yours files are yours. LEGAL (and you have a perfect, 100 percent custom made ringtone)

2. If you have Android, get RingDroid. Its a free. legal app that will let you edit the sound file on your phone, like above... Totally legal.

Illegal is when you share the files with someone else, for free, or get files from someone else, for free.

Thanks for the information! I downloaded RingDroid to my phone and made myself a tone yesterday (the first 27 seconds or so of Phinehas' 'Salting the Mine').

I'm sorry but I agree with what was said above, this is just plain ridiculous. Like...why is this a real thread!? LOL

Romans 13: 1-7. I want to make sure I'm obeying the earthly authorities. Music laws are weird; for example, it seems that even if a married couple buys an album with shared money, they can't actually both legally listen to it in separate settings. In other words, the husband couldn't rip the CD to his iPod and listen to it in his car while his wife also listens to the CD in her car. Now, is anyone going to realistically enforce this? Probably not. But that doesn't change the fact that we still answer to a higher Authority. So, I'd prefer to make sure I'm not breaking any rules/laws, even if there is little chance of them being enforced/me being caught. Hence, this thread.

On a different note yes, use Audacity. It's great for everything including this kind of stuff.

I have Audacity on my computer. I've used it a few times in the past to record some guitar stuff, some vocal stuff, and to de-vocalize some songs. I can't pretend to know much about the finer workings of it, though, and I don't really mess with it anymore.

R0b, you're stressing way too much about a 'higher authority', divert this effort into community service if you aim to please.

It also says to gouge your eye out if you look at something you're not suppose to. I'm assuming both of your eyes are still in working condition? I arrest my case. Don't let me stir you the "wrong" way though!