"LEGEND" ep reviews

from Metal Archives

Quite possibly the greatest black metal album EVER - 0%

Written by LordAes on January 7th, 2007

The above is indeed true if you replace "greatest" with "most embarassing", "black metal" with "horrendously shitty metalcore faggotry" and, of course, "Quite possibly" with "Without a doubt". To say that this band is pathetic would be like saying that The Berzerker's drummer is simply just fast. I don't even know where to start describing this horrible excuse for an EP - it has absolutely no redeeming qualities to it whatsoever. This ranks up there with Black Chariot (you know, the band of 15 year olds where they took "grim" pictures outside one their houses and Halloween decorations were plainly visible) in terms of shittiness. If the fact that their bassist (now out of the band for some reason) is from Job For A Cowboy, and that the drummer is from The Black Dahlia Murder isn't enough reason in itself not to listen to this shit, how about the fact that the pianist (what the fuck?) Ashley Jurgemeyer is a self-proclaimed emo (she said "scene girl"...)? Holy fucking shit... Anyway.

This EP starts out with the track "In A Buried Heart", and, as the name implies, it is a disaster right from the beginning, with lots of annoying tremolo picking that fades back and forth to pointless displays of technical "talent". But that's what we've all come to know and love from MySpace bands, isn't it? Lots of annoying chugga chugga riffing, an annoying faux-symphonic sound by Miss Emo, and some decent drumming. The song, I suppose, is supposed to sound dirge-like. This is only apparent if you concentrate very hard on it. It fails. Miserably.

Tracks 2 and 3, "Like Carrion Birds" and "The Conqueror Wyrm", aren't bad music so much as they are annoying as hell. And they just plain suck, for that matter. The piano inevitably always sounds thrown in simply for the sake of being able to call the music "symphonic" or even "progressive", which this certainly is not. Think Emperor, mixed with Draconian, with a hint of Marduk at times, topped off with lots and lots and lots of annoying Killswitch Engage and Black Dahlia Murder stupidity, thus killing anything the band may have had going for them if any of the members did not have rather extreme cases of Down Syndrome.

Watchtower is a boring track, to say the least. The songwriting, as always, is uninspired, but with this song Abigail Williams has managed to redefine the word "boring". The stupid attempt at sounding symphonic is here yet again, as are the boring drums, and the lame guitar repetition, but what really takes this track to new levels of patheticness is the fucking vocalist. He's incredibly annoying throughout the entire album, yes, but hearing him in Watchtower just makes me want to stab my fucking ears out. I can't stress this enough - he is so very very VERY bad. There are no words to accurately describe how lame he sounds. All. The. Time. But with a stage name like Ken Sorceron, you really shouldn't be expecting much, I suppose...

This website mentions a 5th track "Procession of the Aeons (Exclusive Demo)", which my copy of the EP, for some reason, does not have on it. As crushing as it is to me to miss an exclusive demo (what the hell is that, anyway?), especially one good enough to convince the other reviewer to score this EP an 88%, I'm quite sure that it sucks beyond reason just like the rest of Legend does.

I do not recommend this piece of shit to anyone at all. These shitheads make even Slipknot seem good.

0/100 - worst album ever.

lolololol

Man, that website is no doubt a wealth of information about many bands and always my first port of call when wanting to double check a fact, but some of the guys submitting reviews there are just plain idiotic. I'm surprised they allow some of that crap. I read a Carnival in Coal one recently where they claimed the band sounded like Slipknot! It's foolishness on an almost epic scale.

Like always, it seems the biggest arseholes also have the biggest mouths, unfortunately :(

From Digital Metal

http://www.digitalmetal.com/reviews.asp?cid=7968

Initially formed from the ashes of Vehemence, Abigail Williams is a symphonic black/death metal act that now only features one former Vehemence member (guitarist Bjorn Dannov), but is no less of a quality act.

Though some may try to label AW as metalcore with synths, this is certainly not the case as comparing AW to the synth laced ‘core like End of Destiny, Dead Blue Sky or End It All or others is simply unwarranted. AW do however remind me of other US bands Dreamscapes of The Perverse and The Funeral Pyre, who also share a love of Dimmu Borgir/Old Mans Child -ish dramatics, seething European guitar work and a mix of mid range blackish rasps and occasional clean croon.

That comparison being made, AW are a far tighter and vicious act, with at times a Dissection/Naglfar level of sheer melodic force as heard on the utterly blistering “Procession of the Aeons”, albeit flocked with synths. The other 4 tracks on the EP, while certainly less venomous and far more melodic and paced, still deliver polished, memorable symphonic and epic black/death metal that’s on par with their European peers (“Like Carrion Birds”, “The Conqueror Wyrm”, “Watchtower”), but does have hard to pin point “Americaness” that might be the reason for the unnecessary metalcore tag.

I’ll be interested to see if the revolving line-up hinders a band trying to make a name for themself, and being pushed pretty hard by Candlelight on their upcoming full length album which should feature all new material as this EP is a nice taster of quality material, and does seem to hint at something special.

By Erik Thomas

from Blabbermouth

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/showreview.aspx?reviewID=996

7/10

Much-hyped Arizona lads putting a more pit-friendly face on black metal, basically welding together the style with Gothenburg thrash and a bit of hardcore. The results, while still fairly conventional and perhaps not deserving of the kudos they've so far received, do show scads of potential and lay a firm foundation for greatness to come.

Their mix of styles means ABIGAIL WILLIAMS can just use more of the tools in the extreme metal toolbox — overbearing keyboards that might seem out of place in thrash are fine here, as are bits of clean vocals. The busy Swedish riffing keeps things moving at a frenzied clip — the band seems to be more comfortable at a thrashing tempo than messing around with slower tempos or blast beats. One minute they'll be full-on symphonic black metal, as on the intro to "Watchtower", the next they'll pull off a melodic metalcore chorus "From a Buried Heart" right after a verse of blistering, blasting thrash.

It all comes together best in opener "From a Buried Heart", indisputably the best and most interesting song on "Legend". It combines all the band's influences into one smooth, accessible cocktail, and it happens to be catchy as all hell to boot. Elsewhere, the other songs are a bit more skewed to the black metal side of things — not so bad on the frenetic "Processions of the Aeons", but the middle songs could perhaps use a little more thrash to leaven those syrupy keyboards.

ABIGAIL WILLIAMS are definitely off to a good start, and while their combining of the basic building blocks of a few metal sub-genres may not be wildly revolutionary, it makes for quite an enjoyable listen, and marks the band as one to watch.

- Keith Bergman

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/

from blabbermouth.net

ABIGAIL WILLIAMS
Legend EP (Candlelight)

7/10

01. From a Buried Heart
02. Like Carrion Birds
03. The Conqueror Wyrm
04. Watchtower
05. Processions of the Aeons (demo)

Much-hyped Arizona lads putting a more pit-friendly face on black metal, basically welding together the style with Gothenburg thrash and a bit of hardcore. The results, while still fairly conventional and perhaps not deserving of the kudos they've so far received, do show scads of potential and lay a firm foundation for greatness to come.

Their mix of styles means ABIGAIL WILLIAMS can just use more of the tools in the extreme metal toolbox — overbearing keyboards that might seem out of place in thrash are fine here, as are bits of clean vocals. The busy Swedish riffing keeps things moving at a frenzied clip — the band seems to be more comfortable at a thrashing tempo than messing around with slower tempos or blast beats. One minute they'll be full-on symphonic black metal, as on the intro to "Watchtower", the next they'll pull off a melodic metalcore chorus "From a Buried Heart" right after a verse of blistering, blasting thrash.

It all comes together best in opener "From a Buried Heart", indisputably the best and most interesting song on "Legend". It combines all the band's influences into one smooth, accessible cocktail, and it happens to be catchy as all hell to boot. Elsewhere, the other songs are a bit more skewed to the black metal side of things — not so bad on the frenetic "Processions of the Aeons", but the middle songs could perhaps use a little more thrash to leaven those syrupy keyboards.

ABIGAIL WILLIAMS are definitely off to a good start, and while their combining of the basic building blocks of a few metal sub-genres may not be wildly revolutionary, it makes for quite an enjoyable listen, and marks the band as one to watch.

- Keith Bergman

posted at http://www.darksoul7.com

ABIGAIL WILLIAMS
LEGEND (EP)
Candlelight Records
10/03/06
Review By: Turtlspinr

Line Up:
Ken Sorceron - Vocals
Bjorn Dannov - Guitar
Kyle Dickinson - Bass
Ashley "Ellyllon" Jurgemeyer - Keyboards
Zach Gibson - Drums

Track Listing:
01. From A Buried Heart
02. Like Carrion Birds
03. Conqueror Wyrm
04. Watchtower
05. Procession Of The Aeons

Coming from Arizona, Abigail Williams started as collaboration between three-fifths of Vehemence (Bjorn Dannov, Andy Schroeder, and Mark Kozuback), put together with Ken Rothschild aka Ken Sorceron (guitars), Ashley Jurgemeyer, aka Ellyllon (keys), and Connor Woods (vocals). January 2006 saw Woods, Schroeder, Kozuback, and Dannov exit, with Dannov returning a few months later. The group was then rounded out by Zach Gibson (Black Dahlia Murder/drums), Kyle Dickinson (bass), Mike Wilson (touring guitars), with Rothschild switching to vocals and studio guitar. However, don’t get too attached to any one lineup, as it’ll probably be different by the time you read this anyway.

With the membership thing out of the way, let’s get down to the rumors. I’m sure everyone has heard that this is a hardcore band, or that there are rampant breakdowns, that this isn’t real metal, that the members look like hardcore kids, blah blah blah. I’m sure that everyone has heard that this sounds like a mix between Dusk And Her Embrace-era Cradle of Filth and Vehemence. I’m sure that everyone had heard that there are clean vocals, and that the keyboards have ruined the record.

Yea, I’ve heard all that too, but I’ve actually listened to the record, and seen Abigail Williams live, so here’s the deal. Yep, it sounds like Vehemence (Dannov after all wrote 80% of the Vehemence material), yep there are keyboards, and no they don’t ruin anything. They’re used in the same way Bleeding Through, Scar Symmetry and Soilwork all used keyboards, to add layers.. Yep some members have short hair, and yep, there’s clean singing. And about that whole “not metal” thing. Well, yea, that’s bullshit, because this is most certainly metal. What specific genre it fits in, I’m not sure, but it’s definitely not hardcore.

Track 1, “From A Buried Heart” starts off, honestly, in a not too promising way. Sounds like bad Polish black metal (think Hermh). However, that changed quickly, diving into an At The Gates type feeling, followed by a chorus with some clean singing. Let’s address this immediately. Sometimes, clean singing works. Sometimes it doesn’t. This is a case where I feel it doesn’t. It really seems to suck out the energy and intensity of the song. However, it does seem to create a better dynamic, and make the sections of blasting all that more brutal. Anyway, this song features some tasty soloing, snappy double bass, and great guitar work, and a nice piano outro. I must say though, that I’m not crazy about the vocal work in this song, as the vocals during the verses seem to be poorly though out, and just seem to be there, as opposed to fitting well. However, the overall song is good, but not great.

Track 2, “Like Carrion Birds”, is a fucking monster. Best song on the record. I heard this song about a year ago when the original demo came out, and it was a monster then, if a little long. The fat has been trimmed, and this song will rip your head clean from your shoulders. 3 minutes, 43 seconds of awesomeness. Opens with crushing guitars, punishing double bass, and keys sprinkled over the whole thing, creating something both brutal and beautiful. This is how keys should be used in metal. Also, this is how repetition should be used as well. The opening section is used over and over again, as a chorus would be, which works well, as this song is lacking a real chorus. After the second verse comes the first solo, which is killer, but short. It’s followed by what I’m calling a post-solo pre-solo, and then another solo, which is longer, and equally as cool. That solo is followed by what I’m sure people will scream is a breakdown, but really, it’s not. It’s just a little break leading into more blasting and full on metal glory, before going right back into the verse. The ending is again what some people may call a breakdown, but I don’t see it as such. Yes, the guitars are playing a staccato pattern, but the drums and keys keep things moving right along. Again, best song on the record.

Track 3, “Conqueror Wyrm”, is very different from everything else on the record. It reminds me of From The Depths. If anyone else remembers them, they’ll get the reference, and understand what I’m trying to say. It’s a little slower, with the keys (used as violins) taking much more of a dominant role. This song is quite dynamic, ranging from the At The Gates type polka beat to a slower, almost gothic type feeling, with the keys really standing out. There is some clean singing on this song, right around the halfway point, and I like how it’s used. From this point on, the song takes a much different feeling, with the keys REALLY coming to the front, again, really seeming to take a cue from From The Depths. This influence continues until the end of the song. Truth be told, the last half of the song is far superior to the first half. Reminds me a lot of From The Depths and newer Eternal Tears Of Sorrow.

Track 4, “Watchtower”, is my least favorite on the record. Heavy influence from late 90s drum machine based black metal, which isn’t a bad thing, but it just doesn’t fit in with the other songs. The sound quality is different, it sounds like a drum machine may have actually be used, the guitars have a different tone than anywhere else, the vocals are way more out in front than on the other songs…this song just doesn’t seem to fit the record at all. However, I will say that the solo is absolutely blistering. Aside from that, I’m not terribly impressed with this song.

Track 5, “Procession Of The Aeons”, however, is another killer song. This song really let’s all members stretch their legs, with each of them absolutely going off. The drums are phenomenal, with some of the tightest gravity blasts I’ve ever heard, the guitars are raging, and the piano work is amazing, even if it is being covered by all the other instruments. The vocals are a little lower in the mix on this song, which is a good thing, so that you can hear the music a bit better. I’m having a hard time describing this song in a step by step manner, as it bounces around a lot. Elements of black metal, hardcore, grind, and death are all crammed together in an almost scattershot way, though still making a coherent song. Imagine elements Necrophagist, Eternal Tears Of Sorrow, At The Gates, Dark Funeral and Vehemence all crammed together. At the same time. Now you’ve got it. Try as I might, I can’t make a better description than that.

This is, in short, an excellent record. It’s not perfect, but it’s definitely got some very good points. “Like Carrion Birds” and “Procession Of The Aeons” are about as good as metal will get. “From A Carrion Heart” and “Conqueror Wyrm” have some very strong points, but need to be focused a little more. Even “Watchtower”, while being by far my least favorite song on this record, has some very strong points.

Let me break them down for you:
--killer guitar work. Dannov and Rothschild can both shred.
--amazing drumming. Zach Gibson is a monster.
-- Ashley Jurgemeyer’s keyboard work is seriously bad ass. (anyone else have a degree in music composition from Arizona State?). Unfortunately, her work serves more as a backup, or another layer in the song a lot of the time, rather than standing out. But, make the effort to really listen, and you’ll hear that this girl can flat out play.
--venomous vocals. I didn’t mention them a lot, because like the keyboards, sometimes they tend to be relegated to a support role, rather than a point of focus.

With a little more focus, Abigail Williams could be one of the best metal bands of all time, and no, I don’t think that’s an overstatement, because they’ve certainly got the talent to do it. However, their success depends largely on the metal community dropping their preconceived notions of what this band is, and what this band sounds like, and focusing on the fact that these guys are turning out some seriously good brutal and simultaneously melodic metal.

From Zero Tolerance magazine (www.ztmag.com):

abigail williams
legend
candlelight records
Symphonic black metalcore? Well, colour me intrigued. It’s the kind of thing – like fluffy condoms – that you think just wouldn’t work. But, unlike fluffy condoms (trust me on this one), it does. With a wealth of different influences, rather than a mishmash of styles, Abigail Williams have created a memorable debut EP. The death-influenced metalcore is definitely there, as are lots of obvious black metal leanings, but there are many other influences to be found: melodic solos ring of power metal, there’s a technicality to the proceedings, and lots of variation. Looking forward to the debut full-length.
russell garwood 3.5/6

http://tripodofthoughtzine.com

Abigail Williams- Legend (Candlelight)

Like many of the few that have become familiar with this band, I found out about them on Myspace. Yeah, that sounds pretty cliché now a days, but seriously, this has become such an important way to find out about new artists, it is hard not to recognize.

That said, I have become good friends with PR guy who deals with AW first hand; Dave Brenner, at Earsplit PR. He is an awesome guy, and is willing to help out us little people, in order to get these new artists noticed. So, when I heard that AW was going to put out a new E.P. I got right in touch with him to make sure that I received this disc as soon as possible. And like the reliable guy that he is, I got this new c.d. the other day.

Abigail Williams still produces the same art form that they have become known for, extreme blackened riffs, super tight drumming, speed picking, and all around eerie presence. Basically, they are a force to be reckoned with. Everything that I hear is superb, all music sounds completely original, the keys on this disc are not overbearing, but add a backdrop of haunting....The vocals contend to be the best among the greatest Black/Death metal bands, and everything that they do deserve the utmost metal elitist’s attention...

This album is not set for release for another few weeks, but save up a couple of bucks to purchase this release when it comes out, because I promise that you will not be disappointed. And if you are, than you have no business what so ever reading this review!!!

*Listen or Die*

Sam Nastasuk

i dont really have time to copy and paste all these unfortunately. but here is a few links to some more reviews.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...&MyToken=296eaa4a-eeca-415f-b6e7-0447a8026254
http://fmqb.com/article.asp?id=16705
http://magazine.absolutezeromedia.us/01 06 2007 reviews.htm
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:3xfoxqqrld0e
http://www.blackangelpromotions.com/abigailwilliams.html
http://www.bravewords.com/hardwares/1001140
http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...20220jan12,1,2605332.story?ctrack=1&cset=true
http://www.darksoul7.com/cgi-bin/cd_reviews.cgi?id=229&page=1
http://www.digitalmetal.com/reviews.asp?cid=7968
http://www.hardrockhaven.net/reviews2007/jan2007/Abigail Williams - Legend.php
http://www.live-metal.net/cdreviews_abigailwilliams_legend.html
http://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/detail.php3?id=3644
http://www.paperthinwalls.com/singlefile/item?id=471
http://www.piercingmetal.com/cd_abigailwilliams_legend.htm
http://www.piercingmetal.com/concert_darkfuneral_011007.htm
http://www.rebelx.org/cdreviews/cdreviews_awilliams.html
http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/showreview.aspx?reviewID=996
http://www.seaoftranquility.org/article.php?sid=765
http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=4662
http://www.skylinepress.net/review318.php
http://www.smother.net/reviews/metal.php
http://www.suburbanhorror.com/reviews/AbigailWilliams_Legend.php
http://www.unboundzine.com/nr119.html
http://www.wichitacitypaper.com/articles/article.124.shtml

http://magazine.absolutezeromedia.us/01 06 2007 reviews.htm

Absolute Zero Media Webzine

Abigail Williams- Legend-CD (Candlelight Records)

Epic Death metal with very impressive synth work. Legend almost has the Gothenburg sound but there a bit to black in the vocals to 100% come across that way. After the 1st song I can see why Candlelight jumped on this project to release material for them. There sound is huge, Bombastic, Aggressive and There is huge talent as Drums and Guitars . This release reminds me of Dark Tranquility if they added more synth and a strong touch of Mayhen and Marduk into the picture. I really like the almost Thomas (Ex At the Gates) vocal approach it works very well for all thats going on. Maybe the Arizona Desert is breathing new life into the metal world again. I know this a few ex members of Metal Blades Vehemence but this project is years ahead in talent and song structures. Wow the melody vocals on track 3 alone shows that. I only have one negative thing to say its too damn short at 5 songs and less then 25 mins.

http://oswegoalumni.oswego.edu/jeff/metalfanatix/album/abigailwilliams.html

Abigail Williams - Legend (Candlelight Records) - Back

One might find the combination of Swedish death (Gothenburg), hardcore, and the extreme darkness of black metal to be a little awkward. That may be so, but it also is quite unique. Abigail Williams does just that on their 5-song EP “Legend”. Some parts are quite impressive, especially with their intensity. Picture a band like Arch Enemy or In Flames with a few hardcore elements and mix it with a Dimmu Borgir’s and Cradle of Filth’s atmosphere and their extreme characteristics. This makes this music dynamic, but also perplexing to fans of black and death metal art. I understand the intention to be different and interesting, which is well accomplished, but mixing hardcore and black metal at times is gonna be hard for certain metal fans to swallow. Mainly “Legend” is death and black oriented and solid as well. Even so, I would still like to see even less of a focus on the hardcore parts. They aren’t unpleasant, just challenging to listen to because of the disparity. Drums vary from simple patterns to breakneck blast beats. Vocals are mostly black metal shrieks. Death growls and even clean chorus vocals are also used. The keyboards add atmosphere at appropriate parts. Shredding and melodic guitars keep up with the tempo and contrast well, and as a whole Abigail Williams works nicely together with their hybrid of sounds. If you have broad metal interests or like to adventure to something a little different than the norm, then Abigail Williams’ “Legend” may be just for you.

Rating: 76

Reviewed By: Jeffrey D. Adkins

http://webzine.pivotalalliance.com/...chive=&start_from=&ucat=5&var0news=value0news

Abigail Williams - Legend - added - December 7th, 2006
Reviewer: Pivotal Staff (see below)

5/5

Reviewer: Paul Heroux

The long wait is finally over. Abigail William’s first recorded material since their demo Gallow Hill is finished, and what a masterpiece it is. Hailing from Tempe, Arizona, Abigail Williams is one of the premiere up and coming bands of 2006. They will more than just leave a mark in the music industry with their first EP, Legend. To those who are familiar with Abigail Williams, Legend is mainly their old work re-written. However, they managed to completely turn the songs around, transforming them into art in its most beautifully evil form. Abigail Williams is almost impossible to properly categorize, as their music includes a little bit of everything, but for now they are calling themselves “symphonic melodic death metal.”
Legend is a force strong enough to rip your head off and suck your innards out, from beginning to end. The drumming is absolutely phenomenal and possibly Zach Gibson’s best performance to date. Ken Sorceron pulls off the vocal performance of the year with his black metal screeching and almost in-human, spine chilling high pitched screams. No words can properly praise just how amazing the guitar work is here. There are few solos and no unnecessary over the top riffs; just perfectly-written kick ass pieces guaranteed to blow your brains out. Fantastically composed bass lines sync up perfectly with the guitars, which are further complimented by the keyboards to create a sound sure to bring even the strong hearted to their knees. Bottom line, no metal fan should live without Legend in their library. It is perfect for a fan of any genre of metal and a very promising look to their first full length album coming sometime during 2007.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:3xfoxqqrld0e

Review by Alex Henderson

In 2006, Scandinavian countries continued to dominate the death metal/black metal scene, while metalcore, hardcore, and screamo were dominated by the United States. That was the general rule for extreme metal in 2006 -- death metal and black metal in Sweden, Norway, and Finland; hardcore-based assaults in the U.S.A. -- but where there are rules and patterns, there are also exceptions. And one of those exceptions is the Phoenix, AZ-based Abigail Williams, whose Legend is a perfect example of an American recording with a very Nordic-influenced sound. This 2006 recording, released early in 2007, is not a carbon copy of extreme Scandinavian metal, but stylistically it certainly owes a lot to Swedish and Norwegian bands. Abigail Williams' orientation is essentially death metal/black metal; elements of black metal (sinister rasp vocals, blastbeats, darkly ominous harmonies) are combined with death metal-ish growling and death metal-ish guitar riffing. But the Arizona headbangers' vicious recipe also includes hints of screamo (as in From Autumn to Ashes, Nora, Hopesfall, or I Killed the Prom Queen) and metalcore. Their overall sound is more Scandinavian-influenced than American-influenced, but the American influences are definitely there. Actually, Abigail Williams sound like a Nordic death metal/black metal band that just happens to like metalcore, hardcore, and screamo, and their variety of influences come together in an appealing way. Abigail Williams are hardly the only band that has brought metalcore/hardcore elements to a death metal/black metal foundation, but this five-song, 21-minute EP finds them doing it in a more coherent and lucid fashion than many of their competitors. And while Legend doesn't quite fall into the melodic death metal and symphonic black metal categories, this is a disc that -- for all its ferocity and viciousness -- is not without nuance or complexity. All things considered, Legend is a worthwhile and fairly promising effort from these Phoenix-based torturers.

http://www.metallian.com/abigailwilliams.htm

ABIGAIL WILLIAMS – LEGEND – CANDLELIGHT
Amazing what they call ‘black metal’ these days. Clearly influenced by the English Disney band Cradle Of Filth, America’s Abigail Williams is everything that should not be. Rattling programmed drums are the best thing one can note about this bunch of upstarts, for the meaningless guitars, screechy vocals mixed with clean boy band chants, pianos and synthesizers (naturally played by a girl with delusions of grandeur in a corset) and a song called The Conqueror Wyrm, in order to establish the band’s troo cvlt credentials via the scene approved spelling, really need no further elaboration.
This thing is billed as a limited edition 5-song EP, which is the way it should be. Wider dissemination of this demo-turned-official release would lead to broader embarrassment. Abigail Williams is the type of band that would be perfect on MySpace with a long list of ‘friends’ citing allegiance to COF, Dimmu Borgir and Marilyn Manson. Black metal fans – and metal fans in general – would and should stay away. Only fans of cloning would get into this. – Ali “The Metallian”